Starter Issues?

Gene Van Horn

Gene here. Ok heres one ive never read or heard about before. First off, i have a mini starter in the gn. My car runs absolutely perfect for the last three years except for this, every once in a while i get in the car, turn on key and liston for fuel pump. When its done i turn the key and bupkiss, nada, nothing,shit. All the lights are on, but starter does not engage. No click, no noise nothing. I get out and reach under and wiggle skrew driver at starter until it clicks to flywheel. I dont have to get it to " turn over. Just a 1/4 second click. Get back in and start car as usual. Works everytime. Now the car may start just one time and do the same after i shut it and try to start again or it may start 50 times in a row. Already checked all the wiring several time, also switched out mini for a new one and did the same thing. Really a pain in the ass when your all set to go and have to do the screwdriver thing. Im not really stuck,because it has never failed to start but i would really like it not to do this. Appreciate all suggestions, ive been at this for years and cant seem to get it. Thanks Gene.

Check the bolts to the connectors I just got a new GM one the other week and it was missing a bolt. That holds the brass connector to the unit. That same bolt can come loose. It’s easy enough to pull it off and check. Also examine the fusible link on the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricksix,i can and will do that. It is kinda a little pain as crossover has to be at very least loosened to get the one bolt out. No biggie,thanks for the reply. It been driving me nuts for quit a while so I guess i have to pull it,at least its no longer that 28 pound albatross i can barely hold up anymore. Best Regards Gene.

Well mikestertwo i have thought about that also. Most cars ive ever had a neutral switch prob with turning the wheeel and or shifting up and down afew times firmly or pushing shifter forward it would start. To be honest not sure exactly where the safety switch is? Perhaps someone can inform . Would tapping the starter disengage that switch and enable start? Could be just that!! Thanks for the reply,Gene.

The switch is located on top of the steering column down near the base of the column. Next time you have the problem try rotating the collar back and forth at the bottom of the steering column near the instrument cluster while holding the key in the start position.

Do you have the factory alarm?

If so disconnect the connector to the theft deterrent controller and try it.

It's probably a couple of bad P.O.S. mini-starters though.

Monitoring the purple wire at the solenoid tells a lot, or connecting a remote starter switch to the purple wire terminal will troubleshoot the IGN switch, theft deterrent, connectors, fusing, up to the starter.

As mentioned the starter itself can have loose terminals internally.

If you could describe better what you do to make it start it would help.

SalvageV6, all i do is bump starter so it pops out with skrewdriver. I dont have to actually turn the motor over, just a quick bump. Has never failed to start with the key after i bump it. It does start with a remote starter button thats why i dont think its the starter. I could roll it up and keep it in the glove box and push it when the thing craps. Its more a head thing now, i cant let it get the best of me even more than it has;);) thanks Gene.

Do you have the factory alarm?

If so disconnect the connector to the theft deterrent controller and try it.

It's probably a couple of bad P.O.S. mini-starters though.

Monitoring the purple wire at the solenoid tells a lot, or connecting a remote starter switch to the purple wire terminal will troubleshoot the IGN switch, theft deterrent, connectors, fusing, up to the starter.

As mentioned the starter itself can have loose terminals internally.

If you could describe better what you do to make it start it would help.

Agree with this. I had a bad starter that acted the same way. Would sometimes work, sometimes not. I futzed with a lot of items like the steering collar, inspected wiring, heat soak, etc. Finally replaced the starter and everything was back to normal.

Heskahoka, i have a tendacy to agree with you, this is a new starter but these mini starters i get are p.o.s. for,sure. 75.00 bucks. You can tell how cheaply made they are just by looking at them. Perhaps someone knows a better starter to buy,i dont mind spending money if its a worthwhile part. I like them cause they are lite and its easy to get the wires on. Appreciate the reply,Gene.

Looking to get a starter also. I had no power inside the car at all, checked my fusible links for continuity and they were good. Didnt realize that my starter heat shield was touching my positive cable coming from the battery. I have an older 2 piece 3" down pipe that separated at the clamp when the car was loaded onto a trailer ( it hit right at the cat converter flange area) and popped it apart. I have a few Power Masters from stage 2 motors that I can swap in. :unsure:

Just a heads up before trying a neutral safety switch, our cars don't have one. It's a mechanical stop built into the column that won't allow the key to turn in gears other than park and neutral. The switch on the column is a reverse light switch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^^^ finally the right response to mikestertwo's reply ..the buick regal turbo doesnt have a neutral start switch starting in neutral and park is restricted by a gate inside the column .
if key rotates it should crank unless theres a bad ign switch , low battery voltage , bad ignition rack not activating the ignition switch, a defective alarm cutoff solenoid or bad starter
in the ops case if the purple wire for the relay is getting 12v at crank (can check it in the harness by the driver valve cover with a pin probe) , and if the purple relay wire is firmly connected at the starter then the starter solenoid is bad and has a dead spot (burned ) in the contact disc ..if so just replace the starter

btw that switch at base of column has two connectors ...one is for the reverse lamps , the other is to the ecm so it knows when its in park /neutral which has some effect on the iac gain ..

Thanks guys for clearing up all that neutral safty stuff,i guess that wouldn't be the prob. TurboBuRick, i can no longer lift that starter:barefoot::cautious:. Im leaning toward just getting another one and replacing it.

Ok, drove to Kirbans today. Nice drive in the GN, about 1 1/2 hours from me. Picked up new starter. I'll prob install this weekend and see if this fixes the prob,hopefully. I will update afterward and thanks for all the replys, Gene Van Horn.