Need new Muffler help

D

DanW

I have a 87 Turbo Regal with 66 thousand miles.
The Stock muffler weld to the drivers exhaust pipe broke.

I am looking for the best solution.
I went to Midas and they have a 2 in, 2 out replacement muffler. Also they have a 2 in, 2 out "performance" RAVEN Muffler as well that costs about $80 more than their stock replacement muffler.

When I search these boards for muffler replacement ideas, I keep seeing Dynamax ultraflows, cat back hookers, torque tech, ATR, etc.

I am confused because most of the postings are for complete exhaust systems with new dual mufflers as opposed to just replacing the stock muffler.

Does anyone just replace the muffler? and if not why not.

Should I go MIdas or some other replacement muffler and have a muffler shop do the work?

Or, do I need a "cat-back" system and if so which one is the best for a close to stock Regal and exactly which muffler should go with which cat-back system.

It may seem obvious, but from reading all the posts, it is not clear exactly what is the 'good' way to go for a close to stock car.

Thanks for any suggestions.

A mandrel bent 2.5" system with 2 performance mufflers flows way more than the stock 2" system with a crossflow. The difference is enough that you will see it on a timeslip. Some mods don't show up on a timeslip, this one will.

I replaced my stock 2"/crappy muffler exhaust the original owner put on and I picked up 4 mph and .4 in the 1/4 mile. My only regret was not loosing that crappy exhaust sooner.

I would have liked to have replaced the stock muffler in the stock location but it didn't make sense to do so. Reason being is that the exhaust is one of the primary upgrades (not first) that really add power. A mandrel bent 2.5" dual or 3" single allows the engine to breathe, even though many folks have had success with the stock system. I went with the 3" single primarily because it was the cheapest. I used the Torque Tech system and supplied my own muffler (Summit polished stainless house brand). A little custom work and I have a nice, light, inexpensive system that will probably outlast my interest in the car. I'd say I have about $275 in the whole thing, including ceramic coating work.