need local GN help abq

jonstaley89

Hey guys. Im running into voltage problem. New alternator and battery. I had a forum elsewhere and I checked grounds, terminals and the volts guage in insturment cluatr. But when I bought it thwre is a lot of after market stuff like a solenoid for the starter and random wires. Im new to the gn so someone thats good with gn, it qould be nice if I could get some help to look it over

Check the "volt" light in the dash. See if it lights up when you turn the key on, if it doesn't it could be as simple as replacing the bulb.

I actually did that already. Put a new 194 bulb in it. Nothing. Checked all geounds and everything. But there is an aftermarket wire mess under there

Hey guys. Im running into voltage problem. New alternator and battery. I had a forum elsewhere and I checked grounds, terminals and the volts guage in insturment cluatr. But when I bought it thwre is a lot of after market stuff like a solenoid for the starter and random wires. Im new to the gn so someone thats good with gn, it qould be nice if I could get some help to look it over
With the key on you should have 12 volts at the heavy red wire on the back of the alt. The smaller gauge wire with the snap on connecter is the field wire & it too should have 12 volts. If you have both the alternator is junk. My guess is the field wire is dead & so the next thing to check with the key still on is the volt light in the dash it should be lit if not press on the dash panel & see if it comes on. If busy fingers have been into the dash. The terminal at the rear of the speedo head may not be making contact with the printed circuit tape strip that feeds voltage to the instrument panel. The volt light is part of the circuit that excites the field to make the alt charge & must work. The other possibility is the fuse link at the starter could be broke or melted. Electrical problems are most often the result of careless handling of wires or improper installation of electrical gadgets. These cars are getting older & who knows how many experts have been into the wiring by now.

I would be happy to help but I am in Cruces. I do get up to Abq a few times a year but you probably don't want to wait for that. problems, especially electrical, are very difficult to do over the net. Unforntuately with all the previous "upgrades" it could be simple to fix or a total nightmare. Let me know if I can help.

I appriciate the over fuzzy and ill let you know. I think you guys are right either the connector or socket to volts guage. I ordered the socket. Ive pressed cleaned and everything n the dash. But either way I ordered that bypass wire harness to neglect the cars vaulty electrical system. In a couple days I should have it and ill let you know if its working or not

Actually just tested a few things and I think the voltage regualtor is dead on this car. I charged it to 12 v (battery) then got in the car turned key, cluster lit up, tried to start it and everything including door lights died. It didnt even crank. Tested the battery about 3 min after was at 7v, then another 3 min was at 5v. Then 5 min later and my volt reader said it had 0.18v. This is a new battery fellas