Need help understanding Extender, Translator, Translator+, LT1 MAF, LS1 MAF, etc.

datastream ID and Turbo link

Another question: When ordering the extender chip, will I need to inform Ramchargers that I'm using Turbolink 3.0?

Tlink's 3.0.2 has a "scanmaster patch" to accept the fast data rate. All I have to do with the software is select the version of the extender I'm using....Anything different about the extender chip for use with Tlink?

Thanks again :)

Lee,

The chip determines what data will come out of your ALDL port...the port you hook up to your laptop for Turbolink. You'll need to decide which datastream you would like to see. Check out the link I provided above and you will see what data comes with each selection.

The "fast" data codes update the O2 millivolts and Knock Retard readings at a faster rate, but it comes at the cost of missing some of the other data. (no free lunch)

For example if you pick datastream "Y"...you'll get the fast update on O2/KR but you'll miss the IAC numbers, the O2 cross counts, and Malfunction codes. If that's the one you get burned on your chip, just select datastream "Y" in your Turbolink program.

Ramchargers can get you an Extender chip with stock/W/Y/Z datastreams.

BTW another important note....The name "extender" comes from the fact that the chip extends the stock MAF above the limit of 255 gps....therefore your MAF numbers on Turbolink using an Extender chip will have a numerical value 1/2 of what the actual grams/sec is. (My Scanmaster reads a MAF of 2 at idle)

John

Yeah...I think that table is just talking about the old DOS version of TurboLink....which is what I have. I'm not too familar with the latest Windows version of Turbolink, but their website says it does work with fast update and extender chips.

You might want to shoot an e-mail to TurboLink (Ken Mosher)to clarify which datastreams it will read. Some of the "new" Tlink users on this board may know.

John

My last AC Delco MAF died this past weekend and I'm now looking at my options for a replacement. At this point I just want a replacement for my stock MAF... so I'm guessing that would be a Translator and 3" LT1 MAF. Correct? I'm running 72's and a 16 position Maxeffort.

Anything else I might be missing? I'd get the Translator from Ramchargers, but are there any current "smoking deals" on 3" MAFs?

Thanks,
-Banning.

Correct. Try looking locally for an MAF, or put an add on the wanted section of Camaroz28.com like I did and someone will contact you. I got me a 98 LS1 (3.5) for $50.00!

BTW, I got some pics that I want you to put on your page. ;)

Banning the T+ will let you play with timing with the ME chip too.

If you want more flexibility that is. The ME is a bit short in timing adjustments.

Works for me and is worth the extra $$$.

PS: Happy Birthday. :D

In all of the posts I've seen about the Translator+, the main thrust of the discussion seems to be about adjusting timing, rather than adjusting fuel. While I understand that, since timing adjustment is the added feature of the + over the standard Translator, I'm interested about the amount by which the fuel delivery can be adjusted, + or -, and the conditions under which the fuel delivery adjustment is operative.

Also, when reading about the timing adjustments, I get the idea that the Translator+ can adjust the chip's base timing and WOT timing separately. So under what conditions are the fuel delivery adjustments applicable? Are there separate fuel delivery settings for idle, cruise, and WOT, or what?

Thanks for any info.

If you use a 3.5" LS! MAF sensor, will that still match up with the solid 3" MAF pipe that i currently have or will i need a 3.5" MAF pipe?? Any info is appreciated. I am trying to understand all of this!!!

Scott

Since we've hijacked 87LtdT's thread, I have a couple things....;)

OKturbo, I used your info to order the extender chip, thanks. :)

About the data stream options for use with Turbolink 3.0 and later....I asked turboBob (the inventor of the translators and extender chips) and he wrote back with this very kind reply:

There are two things that are happening in the new datastreams.

High speed is one part of it. Pulsewidth and spark advance
is the other.

So, x,y,z,w.....

X,Y,W are all high speed.
X has no pulsewidth or spark advance, obsolete....
Y has pulsewidth and spark advance, but is
obsolete since there is no IAC info.
W is the latest with everything (highspeed)

Z is Low Speed but with spark advance and pulsewidth.

I recommend W.

I interpret that to mean the DOS based Tlink systems will work with "Z" datastream; and Tlink 3.0 and later will work with the "Z" datastream. Correct me if I've misinterpreted here....

HTH :)

I don't think the DOS t-Link will decode the pulsewidth or spark advance info in the Z datastream.

So, if you get Z and run old T-Link then all the data will be fine except the Prom ID which will change as you drive (because it is being used to send PW and Spark data)

If you run a Scanmaster the Z data will be detected and you will get normal slow data and Pu (pulsewidth) and SP (spark advance)

Is this clear?

Bob

Bob,

I got W (794219), I have high speed data (02's, Cross counts) and Pulse width, and spark advance, Right? I haven't installed mine yet so I'm wondering.:confused:

It's kind of late to mention this, but I was just searching through the archives, and thought I sould chime in.

The "W" Datastream does have everything EXCEPT malfunction codes. You would have to use the old paperclip trick to get the SES light to flash them at you. Personally, I find this to be a bore, and opted to go with the "Z" datastream.

-DC:cool:

Thanks for reopening this thread...re-reading now with a bit more knowledge makes me realize I have 2 more questions:

1) Does the boost control portion of this system require the stock wastegate solenoid?

2) I use Direct Scan....how does it relate to the datastream w,x, y, z, etc choice?? I.e. is there anything special with the extender chip and T+ that is not compatibale with DS?

Thanks, Bob

DS would not be effected by the datastream type as it does not use the ALDL port. Plus, there are no features that are left out that DS can't see. :)

-DC:cool:

OK, I see ALDL specific. What about the boost solenoid...is it needed??

By the way, Happy Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there :)

Bob

MALF Codes....

Sinful6, That is an important issue to consider....But, all we'll have to do in the troubleshooting mode is to put the original chip in there and Tlink should display stored error codes....Right?

I'd hate to say goodbye to the MALF and troubleshooting capabilities of the TurboLink. That is one of the best things about it for some of us. :)

I'll Take TurboBob's suggestion, gamble on the "W" datastream, and keep a thrasher chip around for that dreaded day of troubleshooting when I need the MALF codes.

Would a Thumbwheel make it easier to go from the extender to a chip used for accessing MALF codes while troubleshooting? Changing chips in a TTA is hard on my back ;)

Older Tlink isn't compatible with that datastream. If you have the newest Tlink, I believe you can tell it you have the W stream in the setup.

Eric

Originally posted by Old Car Guy
In all of the posts I've seen about the Translator+, the main thrust of the discussion seems to be about adjusting timing, rather than adjusting fuel. While I understand that, since timing adjustment is the added feature of the + over the standard Translator, I'm interested about the amount by which the fuel delivery can be adjusted, + or -, and the conditions under which the fuel delivery adjustment is operative.

Also, when reading about the timing adjustments, I get the idea that the Translator+ can adjust the chip's base timing and WOT timing separately. So under what conditions are the fuel delivery adjustments applicable? Are there separate fuel delivery settings for idle, cruise, and WOT, or what?

Thanks for any info.

See my post earlier in this thread (about the 4th one down). Maybe that will help. If not, what did I not touch on?