Need Help On Headers Gasket

ROYAL_6

I am having an exhaust leak form hell. Im sure alot of you guys are telling yourself's righ now "Been there many time's".. well i need help. im not running any gasket at the moment. a buddy of mine told me its better to run it with out any. because the heat will just end up burnig them. this is the second time i had this problem.. and is cousing alot of turbo lag.. so before i remove the heardes again. i would like to try a diffrent rout then i have already been down on.. any suggestions on what gasket to get?? or how you guys are runnig your's??

Can any one please help??? any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.... Thanks.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

thank you lee, thank you.. thanks for your time... where can i get this from?? any auto store???? are this copper gaskets???

I tried the "no gasket" route too, with a little ultra high temp RTV. It leaked a little bit, worse when cold.

I just switched to steel core / paper gaskets, and have some felpro 1400's on the shelf in case these steel cores don't work out. Torque spec on the header bolts is 35-37 ft*lbs from what I've read on here.

My wife's 87T has some silver header gaskets on it. Wish I new what brand they were, never had any problems with that thing.

Royal 6,

I put the SCE soft copper gaskets on my '86 T. Broke in the engine and then retorqued them. Haven't had any problems with leakage. You can get them through Southeast Turbo.

John

Royal 6,

I put the SCE soft copper gaskets on my '86 T. Broke in the engine and then retorqued them. Haven't had any problems with leakage. You can get them through Southeast Turbo.

John
thank you to all your suggestions... i will go look them up at south east turbo.. thanks once again.. im trying to get her ready for summer.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .. did you run any rtv with this gaskets??? what did you torqu them to???

Don't know if discount auto parts stores will pull them up with the 1400 part #. This is the felpro # --Any speed shop should be able to get them if not call this # Monday and they can drop ship them to you in a couple days.
800-333-7113 Ask for Scott. I good place to get gaskets and bearings.

Don't know if discount auto parts stores will pull them up with the 1400 part #. This is the felpro # --Any speed shop should be able to get them if not call this # Monday and they can drop ship them to you in a couple days.
800-333-7113 Ask for Scott. I good place to get gaskets and bearings.
thanks again for your help.. did you run any rtv on this??? ill give him a call on monday... where are they located??

There are 3 schools of thought that should help you with that leak.

Some do not use gaskets and can work very good. However here is where the issue usually lies. You need to pull the manifolds and check them for straightness. They are more than likely warped. Fix the warped issue and just about any form of RTV or your favotite gaskets.

My personal solution has always been, make the manifold or headr straight. And I mean very straight. Some times the best thing is to go to a machine shop with a large belt sander and get them straight. Once straight I use the SCE copper exhaust gaskets but shoot them with some copper spray before installing. Install the gasket and then header followed with the bolts. Make sure to use antiseize on those bolts. Now finger tighten everything. Starting with the center top bolt I torque all bolts to 10 ft lbs from the center out and criss cross. Now go to 20 ft lbs in the same format. then to 32 in the same format. You should not ever have a leak with this set up. I will tell you again though, straight manifolds make all the difference.

Hope this helps.

There are 3 schools of thought that should help you with that leak.

Some do not use gaskets and can work very good. However here is where the issue usually lies. You need to pull the manifolds and check them for straightness. They are more than likely warped. Fix the warped issue and just about any form of RTV or your favotite gaskets.

My personal solution has always been, make the manifold or headr straight. And I mean very straight. Some times the best thing is to go to a machine shop with a large belt sander and get them straight. Once straight I use the SCE copper exhaust gaskets but shoot them with some copper spray before installing. Install the gasket and then header followed with the bolts. Make sure to use antiseize on those bolts. Now finger tighten everything. Starting with the center top bolt I torque all bolts to 10 ft lbs from the center out and criss cross. Now go to 20 ft lbs in the same format. then to 32 in the same format. You should not ever have a leak with this set up. I will tell you again though, straight manifolds make all the difference.

Hope this helps.
thank you for your help.. i will try this.... i guess im going with those copper headers form soth east turbo.. but ill keep in mind about straighting the headers.. thank you.. and to all that gave there thought and suggestions.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i went to southeast turbo web page an i wasnt able to find any header gaskets.. i guess i have to wait till monday and call them up and ask for them... thanks again fella's......:biggrin:

Not sure on the brand name. I have had them for over 2 yrs on my car with no leaks.

royal 6 call up summit or jegs and get a gasket made by percy's they are made out of some carbon material and the are guaranteed not to blow out i havent had any problems with leaking about 18.00