Need help, first trans goes now bearings on rebuilt engine?

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i have been having alot of trouble lately and im about out of funds and need some help/advice. About two weeks ago i picked my car up from storage, before storing it i had my trans rebuilt because the factory was failing. Well upon picking the car up i could tell it was shifting way to hard but i had to drive it a short distance to my home. Well about 15 minutes later the trans starts not going into higher gears so i pulled over and had it towed home. Well i got it home and pulled the trans pan and it was full of trash, i later determined that the converter failed and took the trans out with it. Well i have that all straightened out now and im just waiting on a new converter now. Well i go to change my oil yesterday and find that i have a fine mist of bearing material in my oil. Engine has about 250 miles on it, it was rebuilt 2 years ago due to main bearing failure, but only driven a little before putting it in storage. I had changed the oil twice before putting it in storage and dont remember seeing any bearing material then. Anyways i pulled the pan tonight and got a couple pictures. I have not checked rod bearings yet, but the other crank bearings are just now starting to wear. Here are some pictures i will ad more tomorrow.

I dont know what converter you had in it but likely took out the thrust also. Was too much forward pressure on the crank. It sucks but the engine needs to come out again and gone through. If the crank is eaten up by that thrust bearing going to need a new one of those too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I dont see any marks on the crank, it still looks good. Is there any other option like replacing the bearings and cleaning the oiling system best i can? Thanks

You'd have to set it back in the block to measure it. It won't be perfectly exact as you don't know if the thrust cap was set correctly when the engine was built.

I can set it back in the block, all i did was pulled down its cap and 1 other cap. What would it tell me to have measured it?

It will tell you how much clearance between the thrust bearing and crank you had. Spec i believe is .008-.012

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

when building engines you're supposed to 'set' the thrust cap. what that does is make sure that both planes of the bearing shells are on the same plane. That way when the torque converter pushes against the crankshaft, you have the maximum amount of bearing surface holding the load. Look at both bearing shells and see if they are worn evenly. If one is beat to hell and the other isn't the cap was most likely set wrong.

that being said if you put it back together and you have .100" thrust, you'll know for sure that the bearings and/or the crank got wiped out.

well look at the pics of the thrust. It's worn on one side .
No both sides are wore the same it looks like in person at least. I checked the rod bearings last night and they all look perfect. And i finally got to check all the main bearings and the front most and back most bearing look new as well. The thrust bearing is really the only bearing that is worn badly and its only on its sides. Do you guys think i could get away with just replacing it?

by 'both sides are worn the same' do you mean both sides of one bearing shell, or once side on each bearing shell?

Most likely a new thrust bearing will get you running again. The only way to know for sure is to measure.

I just meant that both of the hanging sides on the thrust bearing are worn the same.

the fronts and rears of the bearings shouldn't match from a thrust failure. One side should pretty much be wiped to copper and the front side not that damaged.

the fronts and rears of the bearings shouldn't match from a thrust failure. One side should pretty much be wiped to copper and the front side not that damaged.
Hmm well im not sure what happened then... You dont think it was when my torque converter went that took it out?

When torque converters, pressure plates (or thrust bearings in jetboats) take a out a thrust bearing, they only wipe out the side that faces the rear (and sometimes the mating surface on the crank. Not both sides evenly. There's nothing in a buick engine that pushes the crank towards the rear.

When torque converters, pressure plates (or thrust bearings in jetboats) take a out a thrust bearing, they only wipe out the side that faces the rear (and sometimes the mating surface on the crank. Not both sides evenly. There's nothing in a buick engine that pushes the crank towards the rear.

Weird, i dunno what could be wrong then. Any idea's?

Im working on the car today and had a question, is it good when your crank pulley bolt is laying inside of your crank pulley?