Need convertor suggestions and help

Tim Cucci

I would like to put another conv. in my car but I don't want to go overboard for around town driving. I have a TA49,V4,THDP, and 38lb.inj. I also have plans to install a set of P/P stock heads. I go to the dragstrip maybe 5 times a year. My best time is 12.7 107mph without L/U conv. running 116 gas and 20lb. boost. I feel like with my package I should be much faster. Will another convertor help? Need suggestions. I do want to keep smooth driveability.
Thanks
Tim

With a TA49 keep the stock D5. It has proven to be the fastest with this combo. A looser converter might be a little "quicker" at the track, but not if your tires can't take it.

Get the boost up to 23-24psi and see what kind of difference it makes. The TA49 is not really inits sweet spot at 20psi. With you combo as is, including 24psi boost, slicks, airbags adjusted properly etc and locking the convertor you should be easily capable of 11.7's and beyond with some practice and tuning.

I use the mod. D5 with my TE44 and love it. It is around the 2800-2900 stall range. I think this would be a great converter the TA 49.

I am going through a tranny/convertor upgrade and I went with Bruce's 9x11 Xtreme set at 2800-3000 stall. I ordered this from Southeast Performance up in Acworth Ga. and it will be in this week. Once everything is together, I'll have to motor down to Waynesboro or meet you at the track and run mine. Like the other guys have replied, you should be able to get an easy 22-24lbs of boost. I am hitting 17lbs with no knock (Thrasher chip) and 93 octane.:) One of the other local guys was hitting 11.7's with a 49, blue tops, 3000 stall 9x11 and 1.6 60ft times!

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will stick with my D5 and just try to up that boost more and see what happens. By the way my 60 ft. times hardly ever get below 2. I run Mcreary G60 DOT's at the track but I just can't seem to drive the car worth a s***. I think the driver may be the major problem. Oh yea, BlackDemon we will have to hook up and solve my driver problem sometime. Always nice to here from local people.
Tim

All it takes is a little more practice. My 86 has run 12.97 @ 108 with 20#, Xylene/100 mix, RA93 chip, stock D5, and reg old radial tires. The 8.26 in the sig was same as above, just a 93/Xylene mix instead of 100/Xylene but the car pulled a 1.92 60ft on a semi-crappy track. Keep working on it and you'll see the times drop even further.
There's a few of us GA people out here. Hopefully I'll meet some of ya at Reynolds on May 19th for our little Mudstang vs GN/TR meeting..Kind of a consolation prize for those of us who can't go to BG. :D