Need advice on engine build/setup.

ross87t

I will have my engine out soon and would like to do some strengthening upgrades at the time.

Currently, the shortblock has only been "refreshed" with new bearings, ARP bolts and an Edelbrock 204/214 cam. This is topped off with a set of Champion irons and a Champion intake. Precision 6262 bb turbo, Precision SLIC, 65 lb injectors, Razors dual nozzle, 3" exhaust, 3" THDP, 3200 stall converter are the other notable mods.

I'm wanting a roller cam in the 208-212 region, forged pistons (Diamond?), and billet center main caps. I guess my question is will I need a forged crank? I don't plan to updrade any further and am content with running a few tenths slower on a conservatively tuned 21-23 psi as opposed to being a little quicker at 24-26 psi.

Any recommendations on parts to go with, vendor to use, etc?

Thanks,
Ross

Last edited:
Since the crank is the "heart" of the engine, it is smart to replace a 25+ year old cast crank with a known, new forged crank when you are going to spend a few $$$$ for a new build.

The steel center caps are a good investment for your power level, but they will NOT stop a cast crank from flexing which is a major cause of main bearing failure.

Having freshened hundreds of engines, we have found almost no main bearing wear with a forged crank, but lots with stock cast cranks.

Since the crank is the "heart" of the engine, it is smart to replace a 25+ year old cast crank with a known, new forged crank when you are going to spend a few $$$$ for a new build.

The steel center caps are a good investment for your power level, but they will NOT stop a cast crank from flexing which is a major cause of main bearing failure.

Having freshened hundreds of engines, we have found almost no main bearing wear with a forged crank, but lots with stock cast cranks.

Thanks. Now, I'm just wondering what parts/brand to go with.

Can anyone recommend what brand pistons, roller cam and forged crank to go with and where to find them? Thanks again.

Try David Husek at Turbo Buick Performance. He is a vendor on this site. I just bought a very nicely machined forged stroker crank from him. Great price and good service.He has pistons and rods also. And of course, Nick Micale at Arizona GN can provide you with any part or service.

There are many vendors that can hook you up, but since Nick @ ArizonaGN already chimed in, I would go with him. I've always had great dealings with him.

Nick can get you set up with all the parts you need. Weber Or TA Performance are good as well.

All the cranks are from China and you should thoroughly check tolerances to make sure it is perfectly round. Take all of it to a very good machine shop that knows Buicks. If you give a location I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Since all cranks come from the same supplier [china] I'd go with Dave Husek for the best price, why pay more than you have to for an identical item.

Plus he has awesome customer service.

Best service and price Dave all the way.

All cranks that we use on these cars do not come from China...

Where do they come from then as I thought American forgings were done over 10 years ago? They may be finished here, but I doubt they are forged here.

Where do they come from then as I thought American forgings were done over 10 years ago? They may be finished here, but I doubt they are forged here.

Well I have a BMS crank and I was told that my crank was American made... Unless I was lied to.

Nope. Not one single turbo regal rolled off the assembly line with a forged crank (or pistons)

Which makes them that much more amazing. Cast crank, rods and pistons standing up to abusers everywhere for a quarter of a century plus !