Need advice, car won't start...

CHECKMATE

so many toys-so litl time
The car had been running bad about 4 years ago (very very rich), well I garaged it. Now I started to work on it. I installed new plugs, a new o2 sensor and hotwired the fuel pump. Now the car will not start. I have 35lbs at the fuel rail and the cylinders ARE getting fuel, I am also getting spark to the plugs. I don't get it; spark + fuel should show some form of life. Not even a kick, it just cranks over and over. I am going to try and test the coil pack tomorrow. What else should I look at ?? Ohh also I am getting new wires tomorrow, any good / bad ones ??

That does not sound right spark and fuel but no start 1st how do you know you have fuel and spark , If you are sure you have these , i would guess a bad ground . Maybe it not getting spark when the plug is in the head. Check the alt ground and the one on the back of the motor where the tran bolts to the motor.Make sure the coil - module has a good ground.

Good luck

How old is the gasoline? Gas these days lasts about 6 months, then it's anyone's guess! I gave away a perfectly good snowblower 3 years ago to my neighbor because of bad gas! It was okay in February, in November it refused to start!

My neighbor dumped the gas, put in fresh, and it started in 2 pulls!

Try shooting some starting fluid in the MAF pipe, just to see if you get some "kick" at all! If so, bad gas!

Buick From Hell.... Why did I not think of that, the fuel tank was last filled in 95, so the ful is only 6 years old :D :D . Guess I will try the starting fluid and see. I hope it works, but knowing my luck, it won't.:mad:

UPDATE...

Well I used the starting fluid and the car started right up and ran roughly on the 6 year old gas. I shut it down and emptied the old gas out of the tank. Then I put some 93 octane fuel back in it and started it up. It runs better than it did 5 years ago (replaced 02 sensor), but it still runs rough and accelerates badly while backfiring through the intake AND exhaust. I am now thinking that the injectors may be clogged. Any thoughts on this ?? If this is the case, I may as well just upgrade now instead of cleaning them now and replacing them later.

Glad ya got it running! It's a good bet your pintles are probably half-stuck from the old-gas varnish, and the screens are probably all but clogged up! If your thinking of upgrading, now's the time!

But those with more injector knowledge than me will have to help you choose!
:)

Good job bfh i didn't see that the gas was 6 years old:eek: . I have a set of 40lb injectors for sale and two chips for them i could try to make you a deal on them . If not no big deal, just glad it runs for you.

good luck,

I have a set of 40lb red stripes that have been flowed when i got them. And the chips are Joe Lubrant 93 and a 110 chip. I was asking 220.00 for all but i would like to get 200 for it , because i need bigger injectors for my new set up.

just trying to help, kevin:)

hey checkmate,remember that you're gonna have to convert to an 87 ecm to run crazy's chips(it's about $50/15 minutes). that said,i'd jump on it:).

later,sean

The chips that i have are for the 87 ecm , you can get more info out of the 87 ecm then the 85 ecm. If you dont need the injectors i would still say to go to the 87 ecm and maf.

Oh, by the way guys, I am planning on converting over to 87 style computer. Also the turbo, intake,and intercooler eventually. This will just get the first part done sooner.

Sorry , i didn't get your e mail there's some thing wrong with my e mail iam not getting any tb.com mail or any thing.

I'll check it again in a min

thanks , kevin

No problem buddy there not going any where. Just let me know . Maybe my e mail will work when i get up.

take care, kevin:)

Hey checkmate i tryed the race chip out to make sure it works right, because i've never ran it in my car just the street chip.

Dude you are going to love this race chip , iam going to get one when i get the new injectors.

I'll ship them to you as fast as i can buddy,

kevin