Need advice about cooling options

Botster Buick

I need some help. I know my car will overheat if it sits in heavy summer traffic, so I need to keep it cooler. I am going to start using my car as a daily driver so I am concerned that it will die on me. I have the stock radiator, water pump, and thermostat. What has helped you guys the most? What should I replace and what should I not worry about?

I need some help. I know my car will overheat if it sits in heavy summer traffic, so I need to keep it cooler. I am going to start using my car as a daily driver so I am concerned that it will die on me. I have the stock radiator, water pump, and thermostat. What has helped you guys the most? What should I replace and what should I not worry about?

Getting the stock radiator rodded or re-cored will make the biggest difference. You'd be amazed how clogged they become over the years.

If I got a new aluminum radiator would I need a water pump or anything? Would it be smart to get mine flushed and see what happens? I always think radiator flushings are a scam but I dont know.

If I got a new aluminum radiator would I need a water pump or anything? Would it be smart to get mine flushed and see what happens? I always think radiator flushings are a scam but I dont know.

If you dont know when it was replaced/history then get a new h20 pump and tstat. If you have teh bread then get the alum radiator as well.

I agree with TurboDave. Start with a fresh radiator. Dont waste your time trying to flush that 23yr old rad. I would save your money on the aluminum rad and get a stock replacement from Nick Micale.

Running too hot

Yeah i have the same problem here. Once im on going cools down a bit, but at a red light it gets too starts to heat up. Bought a thermostat and will flush the my radiator. I tried flushing it today but i couldnt find the drain plug any hints. I was going to remove the entire radiator hose and let it drain that way.

the valve is on the pass side bottom corner...look up from under the car, looks like a wing nut. You don't have to remove it, just crack it open.

Just flushing the radiator probably won't help much. A good radiato shop can "rod" them out, or if need be, replace the core.

Well I am going with a 3 core aluminum radiator and 160* tstat from gbodyparts.com. I will post how it does when I get it installed. Has anyone ever replaced a radiator? It does not seem difficult but I dont know.

Not trying to steal the thread or anything but I'm trying to do the same with my car and was wondering about the 180 and 195 degree theremostats. Would those be better or should I stick with the 160 degree one? and what is the reason for going with the 160 degree one? I whould think that going with a lower temperature one will keep open longer since (at least my car) they tend to warm up quite faster...