and backfires after a few seconds then idles at around 300 RPM no matter

what the throttle position is. I`ve disconnected the MAF to see if there was

a difference and there wasn`t any. It also wouldn`t display any codes no

matter what I unplugged. I checked the cam sensor, crank sensor, ecm

grounds. MAF and swapped chips and there is no change. The ignition

system is sound and all relatively newand the fuel pressure stays at around 44
psi It runs so poorly that I`m leaning towards a bad ecm. So I guess my main

question is if there is anyone in the Raleigh area that would happen to have a

good ecm that they would be willing to part with?

I can be reached at 919 616 4354 if there is anyone that can help me out. Thanks

the iac is a couple of years old but the problem involves more then a low idle...I can floor it and there will be no difference in rpm or anything. It will still stumble at around 325 rpm`s and then finally die. Then start right back up for around 5 seconds and repeat all over again. I just pulled and disassmbled the ecm and looked for anything unusual but found nothing....just a tinge of smoked electronics odor which may be normal. I`m leaning towards electronics since the car has always run nearly perfect then all of a sudden without warning and while parked just started running like ****. Also, do the stock ecm`s have GM markings on them because this one doesen`t. I`m wondering if it`s a reman ecm in it already

Sounds like my problem when ground wire came off back of head. Anybody know if there should be a ground wire to the transmission bell housing? Check the ground strap on the firewall, make sure it is bolted to the driver side head.

the iac is a couple of years old but the problem involves more then a low idle...I can floor it and there will be no difference in rpm or anything. It will still stumble at around 325 rpm`s and then finally die. Then start right back up for around 5 seconds and repeat all over again. I just pulled and disassmbled the ecm and looked for anything unusual but found nothing....just a tinge of smoked electronics odor which may be normal. I`m leaning towards electronics since the car has always run nearly perfect then all of a sudden without warning and while parked just started running like ****. Also, do the stock ecm`s have GM markings on them because this one doesen`t. I`m wondering if it`s a reman ecm in it already
if things don't work out and you can manage to get the car to my shop in burlington this weekend there is usually a gaggle of hard core TR guys hanging out that can fix virtually anything............RC shop # 336-570-0341

Thanks guys... I think I have a couple of problems all at once....I went over all the pins that went to the ecu and checked for continuity to ground just to see if I lost a ground and everything seemed ok. I plugged the ecm back in and the car ran better but still not ideal so I tugged on the grounds in the back of the head and it ran better....so I think I need to redo my grounds. However, I shut the car off and tried to restart but it wouldn`t. I then went to check the wires going to the cam sensor and gave them a slight tug and one of the wires seperated from inside the cap....so now I need a cam sensor. I have two spare sensors but they are at my shop in NY. So if anyone local is willing to sell one, I think I can get this p.o.s running again. Thanks

Bryan
919 616 4354

if things don't work out and you can manage to get the car to my shop in burlington this weekend there is usually a gaggle of hard core TR guys hanging out that can fix virtually anything............RC shop # 336-570-0341

Both Richie Kibler and myself will be at Richard's as well... :biggrin:

K.

I might have an extra sensor somewhere. Ill look. Most of my spare parts went to Shane's when BWR closed so Im not sure if I do or not but I'll look.

Thanks a bunch...I suppose I only need the cap since the body of the cam sensor is ok....I think I`m headed to Mebane, NC for a bicycle race tomorrow so I could always stop by if anyone in Burlington thinks that they have a cap or sensor they would part with. If not, perhaps some other local turbo buick guys may. Thanks again

Bryan

Your car probably picked the best place on earth for a GN to break down :eek:. That area has a chit ton of Buicks, and people that can work on them.

Yea it seems that there are of people down here that are into turbo buicks....I`m also glad that GN`s are fairly simple cars to diagnose and work on compared to some of the other stuff I see...I just wish I had more spare parts lying around so that when something does fail I can fix it quickly...now I need a cam sensor cap...I guess I`ll be driving to Gbodyparts on Monday

Yea it seems that there are of people down here that are into turbo buicks....I`m also glad that GN`s are fairly simple cars to diagnose and work on compared to some of the other stuff I see...I just wish I had more spare parts lying around so that when something does fail I can fix it quickly...now I need a cam sensor cap...I guess I`ll be driving to Gbodyparts on Monday

I was wondering who was suppose to be stopping by Saturday for a Cam sensor cap. I'll see you today if you stop by.

I ordered the cap from you instead...it would have cost 40 bucks in gas for me to drive so shipping by fed ex or ups is more cost effective and saves me 3 hrs of driving time. I`d like to check out the facilities sometime though.

Sounds like my problem when ground wire came off back of head. Anybody know if there should be a ground wire to the transmission bell housing? Check the ground strap on the firewall, make sure it is bolted to the driver side head.

Don't know about the bell housing, but there is one on the crossmember

So I got the new Casper cam sensor cap in and installed it and the car went

back to running like crap....it`ll start ok and run for a little then eventually

die out after it sputters and backfires for a little bit. I put a reman ecm from

a local parts store because it was inexpensive but the car ran the same...Im

wondering if a malfunctioning calpac would make the car run like this since

the only thing common between the two ecm`s are the EPROM and CALPAC.

I also checked for continuity between the ECM ground wires at the ECM

connector and the battery an everything checks out. I`d like to try an ecm

that is known to be good with it`s CALPAC installed.

Oh yea....I still cannot get the check engine light to flash when I jump the A to B on the ALDL

The guy in post #6---contact him.
You are making this hard, he will make it easy!:wink:

After more messing around I got the car to run very well by....unplugging the connector to the alternator? I plug it in runs like crap...I unplug it again and runs perfect...I need to consult a wiring schematic to see what's going on. The only one I can find online is on gnttype.org and it's hard to read. I have all the factory manuals but they're in NY...perfect. If anyone has come across this before and can save me a bunch of digging then Id be gratefully indebted