Need a good turbo shop in Panama City.

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Big Boom – Need Help

Well, I’m afraid my engine might have blown a head gasket or worse. The trouble is I’m out of town! I’m in the Air Force and I had to drive my GN from Tampa up to Panama City for a 6-week school. So after the 450-mile drive I got settled in at Tyndall AFB and got ready for class. So, today I went up to the local dry cleaners to drop off some uniforms and on the way back I pulled out in front of a group of cars. It was a good excuse to hit the gas and feel the power; everything was as normal until the top of first gear when, POW, and white smoke out from under the hood!! Then the engine stalled. I casually coasted into a parking lot, like nothing happened, then looked to evaluate the damage. Everything looked normal except the right side of the engine was covered in oil. The vented oil filler cap on the left valve cover had completely blown off. When I tried to restart the car it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders, very rough! White smoke was steadily coming out of the exhaust. After I checked everything as best I could I thought I should try to get back to the base. So I started it up and began driving, the white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. I mean it was so thick cars were pulling over behind me to wait for it to clear. As I drove on the oil pressure kept dropping and dropping, the engine was rattling louder and louder. I finally got back to base. After I got back I checked the oil and it was virtually gone. I’m an old gear head and it looks, sounds, and smells like a blown head gasket. I’m in quite a pickle! I’m over 400 miles from home, and I have to devote a lot of time and brainpower to this school. Here are a few questions; I hope you guys can please help:

1. Does this sound like a head gasket to you guys?

2. Does anyone know of a GOOD shop in Panama City that does work on Turbo Buicks?

3. In your opinion does it make sense to go ahead and rebuild the whole engine, rather than just replace the head gaskets?

Thanks for your help gentlemen, you guys have always been a help to me and I hope this whole thing will work out. Thanks again. – Tom

Sorry dude, all done! The turbo is probably wasted, hense no oil left. Probably all the smoke. Drivin her didn't help! I'd do it all.

Tom,
sorry to hear about the misfortune. the questions are as follows.

1) Remove all spark plugs period

2) Do not drive the car. This was a mistake. Especially hurt. You can turn a simple head gasket into a full motor build. At this point do not move it anymore unless by tow vehicle.

3) By adding oil into the motor will it develop oil pressure? And now after driving it without oil... you may killed the crankshaft, bearings, turbo, etc.

4) If you have oil pressure, then you need to do a compression test on the cylinders.

5) If your lucky and only hurt a head gasket, I would do the gasket and call it a day. Felpro PT9441 is the HG part number and you'll need an intake gasket as well. And a set of ARP head bolts.

6) Is your radiator full? if so, then you probably blew #4 or #3 upwards under the intake. This is the typical. You'll also have to check for a wiped out camshaft.

7) Depending on how far you've driven like this, now your turbo is all coked with oil on the turbine, your exhuast system is also coked with oil, your muffler, O2 sensor, and headers.

I dont know of any TR shops in Panama city that I could recommend. If you need procedural help, call me and i'll do my best to guide you.

I wished you hadnt driven it, but had it towed. Live and learn. 35 dollar tow bill+150 in parts vs 2000+ dollar motor.

FWIW, doing a HG isnt too bad on our cars. Guys have done these at the track during events. Tools are minimal, yet your cleanup now is gonna be an issue.

HTH

I always learn the hard way

Well, I think I might use this as an opportunity to just do a rebuild. I've never liked the fact I've got mystery parts in the motor, or a 20/20 crank. I just hate being away from home station. It's going to be interesting, thats for sure. While we are on the subject, are those Fel-Pros the absolute 100% best? Or is there an even better one, Copper maybe? How about a head stud kit to prevent future problems? Talk to me Goose. - T

No problem..

Um ahh.. if your fuel system has an issue, an injectors wigs out, stuff happens and the cylinder pressure goes up.. if your studded and sealed up tight.. guess what happens... you blow rite through the piston.

I would rather spend a saturday doing a HG, than 3 grand at a machine shop getting the block rebored, new pistons, balancing, etc..

Cometics are cool if the cylinder pressure being run merit it. But on a street car with uncertainties.... I like having fuses.. the HG is one of them. ya know the saying.. better an HG than a hole through a piston. hands down.

On a 9 second motor that sips c16 and never leaves the trailer.. its a whole other story.

Build it close to stock.. you dont have machine shop issues.. and at the mid 11 second range.. it will live a very long time.

As far as Felpro's vs the stock GM gaskets.. same in my book.

I still would advise seeing if the motor is really hurt. you may just get lucky and it be cylinder 4 that popped.. you lift the intake, roll the head out.. you can be done in less than 6 hours on the passenger side. cars running.. start building the new bullet. especially when far from home. Just bandaid it, get it running..

My .02..

ps.. unless the surface's are properly prepped and has the correct RA finish.. those cometics can be your worst nightmare leaking.