need a cooling fan resistor

shifty6

just need the connecter, wiring w/ceramic resistor and bracket that connects to fan. my fan is good. Anybody got one? TIA.

go to parts house tell the you need a ballast resistor if they are half smart they will go pull it off shelf get a 2 prong not 4 it will work the same

Unfortunately, the items from Autozone and O'Reillys listed above are not the correct part for the coolant fan system. That "ballast resistor" is used on the ignition system of a distributor car, not on the low speed coolant fan circuit of a turbo car. Typical errors in cross-referencing. It won't work.

The part used on the GN's is not available from GM, hasn't been in years.

Here is the original part:
GN_fan_resistor.jpg

They are the right resistance and rating, but you'd have to figure out how to affix the heavy wiring to the terminals. If you had a separate terminal strip, it'd work. The heat sink housing would need to be mounted on a separate plate otherwise it'd probably melt the fan housing.

There are three terminals on the OEM setup, two on one end, one on the other. This is how the factory did it with 12 gage wire:
coolant_fan_before0.jpg

And, here's the bypass mod:
coolant_fan_after1.jpg

Doesn't matter, use one screw and nut, tie them all together, then wrap up with electrical tape.

wouldn't need a resistor at all, would I; if I'm running the wires together on that one terminal anyway..?