Narrow journal crank to wide journal->???

tonnerboy

Ok, I have done heaps of searching and such about wide journal cranks and rods but still haven't managed to find an answer.

Can you have your narrow journal crank somehow reground into a wide journal crank. There's only 46 thou difference from my research.

And one more little thing: What's the rod journal width on a L36 Series 2 V6?

Thanks.

Crank

IMHOP ... the casting that separates the rod ends on the split crank pins is pretty thin now and it is all that separates the rods on the journals. Take it away and whats to stop the rods from colliding with each other ?? Furthermore, altring any of the hydraulic rolled fillet at each end of the journal would weaken a stock nod. iron crank.

Tonnerboy,

I believe you question is in regard to aftermarket steel cranks and I'll try to answer it best I can. A Narrow journal crank is actually a stronger piece if for no other reason than there is more material between the splayed rod journals. There is less actual bearing surface area but it really isn't a problem until you're making a bunch of H.P.

If you come across a narrow journal crank I'd advise you to get the rods you need and run it. Grinding it to increase the journal width is probably possible but not worth the effort. BTW, I can't answer the question about the rod journal width on a Series II engine without looking in the Clevite 77 catalog and I don't have it handy right now.

Neal

Thanks for your help. The engine in question is actually a 1991 Buick 'VIN L' 3800. I also have managed to get my hands on some 2 Dot Turbo rods already (start of this year). They were brand new and going for AUS$300 including turbo pistons, rings, and SPS rod bolts. I thought they were a great buy at that price, but I didn't know about the wide journals though. Now I find out that my rods won't fit, hence my first question.

By the way, I'm in Australia and V6 parts, especially internals, aren't cheap and/or simply not available. We got some very good hypers, but rods are very expensive, and there is only one after market crank available, which just so happens to be a nice stroker crank, but fairly pricey.

Here's another question, although sort of stupid: Is it posible to get the rods modified to a small rod journal, or is there just too many technicalities with doing that?

I heard about a gentlemen that was going to get cut pink rods for his Syclone, but I didn't hear whether or not he did and wether or not they lived. I'd feel a lot better off having a machinist shave .023 off each side of the rod personally, as if you look at the reinforcing pieces that go along the sides of the big end they're already milled flat and the rods have been proven to very high power levels. I understand what a jam you're in, but if possible get it from the states via the internet or have someone you know find something in the states is my reccomendation. ED:eek:r a good 109 block and SFI intake

I did actually consider buying a motor from the states as an option, but in the end I decided against it. All the engines over here and different in a lot of areas. Just the natural progression of technology I suppose. Things like different rear main seals, balance shaft, roller lifters whereas the 109's had flat tappet lifters (don't they?), so if something went wrong finding a replacement part would be a PITA.

Plus my V6 is going to be a cam/heads/nitrous setup which should make about 500 or so hp, so I'm not really looking at a turbo motor.

Also, just searching and found a thread that has something on shaving the rods to fir a narrow journal crank also. Pretty much what Drac0nic said, so definitely looks like it can be done.

Thanks for all your help guys.