My Syclone

Aeroking

Purple in Sector 2
I'm not very active on the board, i mainly use it for researching information. I currently have a 91 Syclone.

My dad and I have been going to car cruises for about 15 years (started when i was about 9 years old). My dad has a numbers matching 69 Mach1 428. He instilled in me thats its great to own something that no one else has.

I love 3rdGen firebirds and LT1 firebirds. I've had 3 of them. After owning "regular" F-Bodies, i wanted something special, and started looking for a TTA. I found a couple local, but each one had its own faults. Too many mods, too much money, too high miles. So i started looking for a Syclone and found they were a little easier to find, and afford. Each of my prior vehicles were showroom stock, and cleaner then anything on the street.

When i decided to buy a Syclone, i wanted to attempt to do an engine teardown & rebuilt. I had never done it before. So i narrowed my search to low mile trucks with a good clean body/frame, but with mechanical issues. I found my truck in Minneapolis MN (i live in Pittsburgh PA). The owner said it had an late model crate engine and needed to be tune. I went and bought it and drove it 1000 miles home. After going over the truck i found that the engine was not the low compression 4.3L that would've come in the truck. It was a higher compression AC Delco replacement shortblock. 12# of boost was the most it could hold without knocking. The rest of the engine was rough around the edges, but all there, and all stock. I got it running half decent, and drove it through the summer to car shows. I made a couple 1/4 mile passes and best of a 14.3. Everyone had they're fun street racing the 14 second "Quickest Production Truck"

So last winter i decided to pull the engine to do a full driveline rebuild. I bought a stock block out fo a Typhoon. Stock crank, Eagle h-beams, Speedpro pistons. I had a set of factory GM heads ported, and bigger valves added. I had one of the SyTy shops custom spec a cam. I'm running the stock intake & exhaust manifolds. PTE 65# injectors, the stock TB, stock W2A intercooler, and a journal bearing 72mm turbo. I tune it with TunerPro and an algorythm called Code$59. Which allows the factory ECM to be a fully adjustable 3Bar system. This is also my first time tuning.

I had the stock trans sent out to Carl Rossler in OH, and he did a beefy rebuild on it. I upgraded to a 3400 stall hybrid 9"/11" lockup converter. Still running the stock transfercase, and stock front and rear differentials.

After street tuning for a couple months. i go to the 1/8 mile, and made a bunch of consistant passes at 8.0 @ 86mph, 1.7 60' on regular street tires. A week later i got the truck on a dyno, and made 360rwhp, and 460rwtrq. On 23psi, 17* of timing. For some reason my truck redlines at 4800rpms. which sucks cause my cam is a 3200-6000 cam.

I have a Razor's alky kit on the truck, but never ran it yet. i have alot of traction problems, even at cruising speeds. So this winter i'm going with larger C4 corvette wheels, and Nitto DRs on all 4. I'm also gonna run bump stops as front end limiters, to stop the nose from lifting and unloading the front tires. Also swapping all the brakes to LS1 Camaro discs.

Its alot of work, and mods for a show truck that makes 8-10 track passes a year. But its fun for the street.

So this year with more tuning experience, better traction, and more power from the meth, it should be an impressive ride.

Engine bay when i first bought it:
101206-46.jpg

Truck at a couple car cruises:
051907-01.jpg

051107-02.jpg

051107-04.jpg

Me at the 2007 SyTy Homecoming in Detroit:
062307-25.jpg

The engine during my rebuild:
051208-03.jpg

051908-02.jpg

3" stainless downpipe, homemade:
053108-06.jpg

Transmission:
042508-02.jpg

042508-10.jpg

VERY bad ass Syclone! :cool: I had a Typhoon years ago and loved that thing. It was a blast to shock the hell out of people with it.

Keep up the good work and enjoy that beast!

Looks great, I bet it's a blast to drive. I've had two and my first one went 13.20 with nothing more than an old dynotech chip and some octane a couple months after it came off the showroom floor.

Brandon i think your 4800 problem may be valve float. You may need to increase spring pressure.

i had thought about that, cause right now i'm pushing the limits of the heads themselves. Cause the most these heads can handle is about .590 lift. My cam is .54x and i have bigger 1.6 rockers, over the stock 1.5s. Which puts my lift very close to the max for the heads. I have another set of 1.5 rockers i am going to swap out and try.

my springs are rated for .600 lift, so they should be close, but still ok.

i had thought about that, cause right now i'm pushing the limits of the heads themselves. Cause the most these heads can handle is about .590 lift. My cam is .54x and i have bigger 1.6 rockers, over the stock 1.5s. Which puts my lift very close to the max for the heads. I have another set of 1.5 rockers i am going to swap out and try.

my springs are rated for .600 lift, so they should be close, but still ok.

I think with the 1.5 you should get close to 5800

Looks awesome bud. Still one of my favorite vehicles ever.

These guys are the Syclone Guru's. They might have some parts you want or need as well. They are also very knowledgeable and build some badazz sy's.

RPM landing page 1

i just crunched some numbers and i'm making .571int/557ext total lift with the 1.6 rockers. and, the max piston-valve clearance with these heads is .590. and the springs are 29073 LS1 beehives, good for .600 lift. So i believe valvetrain probably isnt the problem. There's no power loss once it flatlines, the motor keeps pullin, but the RPMs flatline at 4800. So i think valve float is out.

Also my throttle valve cable is very old and sticks. This would cause inaccurate shifts and wear on the trans. I have a brand new TV cable ready to go on it before it goes back on the road.

Another possiblity would be spark blowout. I'll have to pull a plug and double check my gap. With 22psi i might be blowing them out.

A few things i can check once its off the jackstands. I like getting a ideas from the Buick guys.

Nice Sy!
Sometimes valve springs go bad & if they have seen valve float they go bad pretty quick.

When you say the redline is 4800,what is going on @ 4800,it misses,boost drops off,hits a wall?

I also have a Syclone.
Seems nicer over on this forum than at ,,the you know what one.;)

Nice Sy!
Sometimes valve springs go bad & if they have seen valve float they go bad pretty quick.

When you say the redline is 4800,what is going on @ 4800,it misses,boost drops off,hits a wall?

I also have a Syclone.
Seems nicer over on this forum than at ,,the you know what one.;)

the RPMs hold at 4800, while its stuck there, it doesnt drop off or anything. And it holds there until the trans shifts. The RPMs just hit a wall at 4800. Only does it in gear. In neutral can rev it as high as i want. But in gear when driving it sticks at 4800. Its getting enough fuel, the AFRs are close to perfect under boost, and the DC on the injectors is around 90% up at 22psi. Good chance that its spark. It has UR6s and Taylor wires on it now. I'm gonna step down to a UR5 cause i'm gonna start shooting meth.

new shoes
012309-01.jpg

the RPMs hold at 4800, while its stuck there, it doesnt drop off or anything. And it holds there until the trans shifts. The RPMs just hit a wall at 4800. Only does it in gear. In neutral can rev it as high as i want. But in gear when driving it sticks at 4800. Its getting enough fuel, the AFRs are close to perfect under boost, and the DC on the injectors is around 90% up at 22psi. Good chance that its spark. It has UR6s and Taylor wires on it now. I'm gonna step down to a UR5 cause i'm gonna start shooting meth.

new shoes
012309-01.jpg

Are you going to a hotter plug?
The lower the number on those plugs means hotter, correct?
You do not have an MSD box?
I run .040 gap @ 21 PSI no problem with meth,but I have an MSD 6A box.

Try to gap @ .025 & see what happens. It does sound like an ignition related problem.
Nice shoes!