My Next Slug

Just outta curiousity, why a supercharger and not a turbo? That setup looks like its ready to take off and its not in the car yet. I wish you all the best of luck with your project. Looks like your gonna have a monster on your hands. Your motor just turned into my new desktop pic, thanks:D

Thanks for the comments. I guess there are a few reasons for the blower. Consistency is a big one - this will be used in dial-in racing (e.g., Top Sportsman) against some evil competition (in addition to H/U) so it's better suited for that. No prestage spooling or staging concens with the blower - although I know that can be accomplished with turbos, it's a handicap, and it's one less big variable to deal with for this combo. I also stepped into a situation with some perks to run this combination :biggrin:. FWIW, simpler plumbing looks nice in it's minimalist design IMO :). Don't get me wrong, if it were just about qualifying or testing ET, or 100% H/U, turbos would be my choice. For reaction time consistency, and overall package consistency run to run, this is my choice.

Art

Dyno-might

The blower pulleys were upgraded, and after several days of making everything fit for the dyno, it was run yesterday. This was mainly to get the XFI base tune. The dyno (DTS) could not handle anything close to a full pull without failing (boiling). An 800 rpm pull window (5200-6000 rpm) was used to get the maps set there and extrapolate the rest.

The hp curve is linear between 5200 and 6000. I can't view the file, but from memory, at 5200 rpm, it makes 1189 hp and ~1200 tq. At 6000 rpm and 9 psi boost, it makes 1610 hp and 1400 tq. In the car, the engine will run to 8000 rpm and we expect linearity in power to continue as the boost rises with rpm (about 50 hp/100 rpm so > 2500 hp @ 8000 rpm).

Now the car can be finished...

Dyno1.jpg

Dyno2.jpg

Dyno3.jpg

very nice art! getting close to making a pass in the car must be very exciting! everthing looks great. good luck.

very nice art! getting close to making a pass in the car must be very exciting! everthing looks great. good luck.

Thanks! It is exciting again now that the wait for passing the dyno test is finally over. When the car's done, it has to go to the glassman/painter to brace and finish the front clip. Then it'll take a little time to tune the chassis and see what's going on as far as tuning the power to the ground.

I didn't Google myself but there was some muffled Yahooing going on and everyone involved is pretty pleased so far...

Art

P.S. edit: tq @ 5200 rpm = 1281

Art,

The motor sounds like it is going to be a nice piece.
What is the MM on your compressor wheel???

Art,

The motor sounds like it is going to be a nice piece.
What is the MM on your compressor wheel???

John,

It's a 5.47" impeller on this blower that replaced the mock-up one that had a 5.16" impeller. In other words, this is the larger version of the F3R.

Art

John,

It's a 5.47" impeller on this blower that replaced the mock-up one that had a 5.16" impeller. In other words, this is the larger version of the F3R.

Art

Art,

That is what I thought you have the 138.9MM Compressor Wheel.
That thing is friggen huge you should make amazing power.
How does that thing sound?
The last procharged race motor I heard would have a hard time sneeking up on you.:eek: ;)

John & Will: With all the pics in this thread, I didn't respond until there was progress. Yup, ProCharger now shows this 139 mm version. Engine is loud of course but I can't hear the blower from inside the car - at idle anyway. It's only moved slowly so far, but it's just a couple hours of work from being ready to finally test. The local track has finished its real race program for the year, but I'll shake it down at a T&T day, and travel South (Abilene, San Antonio) later this Fall to complete the process so it'll be ready next Spring.

I got the re-glassed front end from the body/painter dude after Labor Day. He added too much glass thickness and the shape changed so that it was 1" off from reaching the Dzus receptacles. Mike Carpenter (who built the car) rebuilt the steel framework of the front end so it'd fit, then we scaled the car, fabbed a new seat and blower belt guard, IC 1/2-drain plumbing, rearranged RacePak sensors, installed freakin' diaper (this final stuff not in pics), and misc. So it came home finally finished after over a year. With fluids and me in it, the car is about 50# over the min T/S weight.

I added a few recent pics, sorry if this thread buggers up some machines.

Art

FrntRgt2.jpg

Front1.jpg

RgtSide2.jpg

LftSide1.jpg

RgtCab.jpg

Art,

That thing scares me even in pictures.
Please get me some shake down videos!!!!

Update

More V8 Spam:

I drove the car for the first time last Sunday. No launch, trying to get a feel for the power and get comfortable - this is going to take some time.

I made a couple of half passes on old slicks and a slick track, leaving pretty much off idle. Then made another one leaving slowly, and matting it when it felt "safe" and ran it through at 8.9 @ 180. That deserves a LOL I think, or what I was thinking in the car, more like "OMFG, if this is an easy pass, are you a man or are you a mouse?"

The brakes (metallic not carbon fiber) on the spindle-mount front wheels are supposed to be pretty weak and they are. Even so, I don't like how the brakes feel. We're going to rebleed the system Saturday, maybe redo the plumbing at the MC, then take a few more hits this Sunday before the local track closes for the season. I just don't think this track will hold anything aggressive though.

Art

Insane

SLUG ? SLUGFEST...That has got to be one of the Nicest most Coolest, Baddest Camaro I've ever seen that is some kind of KNOCK OUT ride. If that track is that slick wouldn't chance a hard run on it if it won't hold you.

Wow, that is a wicked ride and a top notch setup! Congrats and please keep her shiny side up!:eek: :cool: