My BSing thread and updates

Ttype83

USAF Retired
I thought it would be easier here.
I've been back in country for over a year now...OMG does time go by fast.
First I was working overseas mostly for the last couple of years for a charter airline. in 2008 I as sent to Abu Dhabi, UAE to replace a friend of mine due to a death in the family. I had already asked for a divorce. I was only suppose to be there for 30 days....4 months later I'm brought out to work a special passenger program. And sent right back. I came back out on feb 4th, I flow all night to get here on Feb 5th and straighter into court getting cusodity of my kids. ..and I'm still not divorced!!!!!!!
fast forward...May 2009 my trans on the 86 starts slipping, found that every single bolt holding it on was loose. Trans had backed off the engine about 3/4" . I spent the next 6 months in my spare time removing the trans from the 86 and stealing the trans out of the 83 and the front tires.(I had replaced it a number of years ago with a 87 BRF trans) 3 weeks later some LLSOAB steals it...and then find out that some B%^&* had canceled my full coverage insurance....
No the car has not been recovered and will not be..it would have to fall into the police departments lap here for them to find it.
So the 83 sits needs trans, TC, engine overhauled, front tires, bumper fillers..

Here's some picutes from a couple of years ago.
Later I post some up to date pics :eek:

P1010041-2.jpg

coldair.jpg

P1010166.jpg

coldair.jpg

P1010019.jpg

what mods to the car did you do to get a14.3 is the dump pipe welded to a stock downpipethanks Mike

what mods to the car did you do to get a14.3 is the dump pipe welded to a stock downpipethanks Mike
Yes that is a stock downpipe. .... Really a basic stock motor can do it. It has a comp cam, larger valves, K&N filter, MSD 6 BTM, 87 BRF trans and TC, home made water alky spray, dump pipe, 2 1/2 mendrel bent exhuast with dynomax race bullet muffler. But I did not see a change in ET or MPH with it open or closed dump. It wasn't at the power level to matter yet.
Oh ya...on a set of slicks :biggrin:

Yes that is a stock downpipe. .... Really a basic stock motor can do it. It has a comp cam, larger valves, K&N filter, MSD 6 BTM, 87 BRF trans and TC, home made water alky spray, dump pipe, 2 1/2 mendrel bent exhuast with dynomax race bullet muffler. But I did not see a change in ET or MPH with it open or closed dump. It wasn't at the power level to matter yet.
Oh ya...on a set of slicks :biggrin:
are the heads ported what stall speed and what size comp cam . do you think the dump is woth it. and do you think a diff down pipe is woth itMike

are the heads ported what stall speed and what size comp cam . do you think the dump is woth it. and do you think a diff down pipe is woth itMike
DP will give you more gain. I don't remember the grind on the cam, but it was the wrong cam for a turbo car. it had a 110 deg lobe seperation and a turbo car runs better on 112 deg or better. It was one step up from Fred's (fc227). Heads were not ported. Stock D5 TC out of a 87 GN, stalled around 2400rpm's
Peg leg rear

DP will give you more gain. I don't remember the grind on the cam, but it was the wrong cam for a turbo car. it had a 110 deg lobe seperation and a turbo car runs better on 112 deg or better. It was one step up from Fred's (fc227). Heads were not ported. Stock D5 TC out of a 87 GN, stalled around 2400rpm'smy car is 30 over balan ced and blue printed potred heads stainless vaves a poston Gn 100 cam 650 dbl pmper and a 700 r4 what do you think for et and do es mit a BTMMike

my car is 30 over balan ced and blue printed potred heads stainless vaves a poston Gn 100 cam 650 dbl pmper and a 700 r4 what do you think for et and do es mit a BTMMike
A 700r4 doesn't shift at the right rpm unless it's been modded.
Take care with your boost, a 30 over engine takes more from work from the turbo to push the same amount of boost as a stock engine. You could easly push the turbo beyound the range of the turbo and you'll only be pushing in hot air.
I would look at using a water/alky setup to cool the charge and a cooler burning fuel than C16..I think C14?? but I've been out of the game for a few years.
If you are use a posi rear, DR's on a 5psi lauch at 9psi you should hit my ET.

Oh and get rid of that POS air cleaner you have and move a K&N out to the bumper. That air cleaner you have is only going to suck in hotair ;)

700 r4 has corvette pump and servo it shifts real hard planning on running 12 -14 psi bosst with alky342 posi

Oh and get rid of that POS air cleaner you have and move a K&N out to the bumper. That air cleaner you have is only going to suck in hotair ;)
my hood scoop is functional cut hlr inthr back of it thats why it has the piece of **** air filter read in car craft mag when these cars were new take off the air cleaner offthe carb dropped et by 3 tenths

A 700r4 doesn't shift at the right rpm unless it's been modded.
Take care with your boost, a 30 over engine takes more from work from the turbo to push the same amount of boost as a stock engine. You could easly push the turbo beyound the range of the turbo and you'll only be pushing in hot air.
I would look at using a water/alky setup to cool the charge and a cooler burning fuel than C16..I think C14?? but I've been out of the game for a few years.
If you are use a posi rear, DR's on a 5psi lauch at 9psi you should hit my ET.
what is c16 and c14 dont know what your talking about sorry Mike

700 r4 has corvette pump and servo it shifts real hard planning on running 12 -14 psi bosst with alky342 posi
I would start out lower on the boost. No more than 9psi. The stock turbo could only push 17psi at best and it would be out of it's range and only produce heat. You have a 30 over engine...can't remember the math for that right now, but your 12 psi will be about at that range of a stock engine at 17psi I believe..if not lower.

what is c16 and c14 dont know what your talking about sorry Mike
Race fuel, there are differnet kinds with differnet octanes. C16 I think is 116oct and C14 woulod be 112oct. or something close to that. The higher the octane, the hotter the burn. So there is a fine line to want works best in a turbo car and it's combo.

my hood scoop is functional cut hlr inthr back of it thats why it has the piece of **** air filter read in car craft mag when these cars were new take off the air cleaner offthe carb dropped et by 3 tenths
OK, missed that pic of your hood. :biggrin:

How much larger were the valves than stock? In your opinion, was it worth it?
Don't remember, but they are the biggest that will fit in the head. 1.77 and 1.60 off the top of my head. Same valves as the SFI guys use in the 8445 heads.

Don't remember, but they are the biggest that will fit in the head. 1.77 and 1.60 off the top of my head. Same valves as the SFI guys use in the 8445 heads.

It's 1.77 and 1.50 Jim. Glad to see you here to inform us a little on your methods. The valves will help to some degree but the biggest diff is in proting the heads. Getting them to flow better is the biggest benifit for any car. Since we run turbos then it make even more of a difference.

Thread hijack!

I was going to go with that edel cam that is on the boarderline of safe for the stock heads. My heads are kinda sorta ported, more like cleaned up. Should I just get a set of 8445's and port them good and cut the guides down or just use the set of 80 heads I got that seal fine?

It's 1.77 and 1.50 Jim. Glad to see you here to inform us a little on your methods. The valves will help to some degree but the biggest diff is in proting the heads. Getting them to flow better is the biggest benifit for any car. Since we run turbos then it make even more of a difference.

Yes it's all in the porting. The valves really don't matter that much. But for us every little bit helps. flow and keeping the heat down and octane up and making the car launch.
Lightening up the front with those with a steel reenforced bumper will help with this. I still need to replace my steel one for the alum one I have in the garage. I lost my orginal one in a crash back in 2004. It really changed the way the car launched.

Thread hijack!

I was going to go with that edel cam that is on the boarderline of safe for the stock heads. My heads are kinda sorta ported, more like cleaned up. Should I just get a set of 8445's and port them good and cut the guides down or just use the set of 80 heads I got that seal fine?
This thread can never be hijacked...hehe. I never stay on topic;)

Elbrock makes a good dual grind cam..it use to be made by crane cams. A great grind for your cars.