My 200r4 died today, anyone have a thought on what may have happened?

Steve

I was out testing my GN today and I rolled into the throttle in second gear to check the boost and about 2 seconds into WOT I heard a loud bang and lost all gears including reverse. Park still works but nothing else. Any ideas what may have happened? Thanks

I was out testing my GN today and I rolled into the throttle in second gear to check the boost and about 2 seconds into WOT I heard a loud bang and lost all gears including reverse. Park still works but nothing else. Any ideas what may have happened? Thanks
You may have broke one of a few different parts. Most likely the forward drum shaft has broken, but an input shaft, OD planet or OD ring gear may have broke also. You will not know for sure what it is till the the trans is removed and opened. Any more info, give me a call

I did the same thing, and luckily it was the front drum. I say that because since it was just the drum, my trans wasn't contaminated.

You may have broke one of a few different parts. Most likely the forward drum shaft has broken, but an input shaft, OD planet or OD ring gear may have broke also. You will not know for sure what it is till the the trans is removed and opened. Any more info, give me a call

Thank you for the reply. I knew I was pushing this transmission to its limits and planned to upgrade it over the winter anyway. Could you PM me what you charge to build a 200 for a low 10 second car? Thanks

Thank you for the reply. I knew I was pushing this transmission to its limits and planned to upgrade it over the winter anyway. Could you PM me what you charge to build a 200 for a low 10 second car? Thanks
PM Sent

Just went through this. Here's what you most likely broke. Broken Forward Drum Shaft.jpg Replace it with a billet one. Dave has the best billet replacement IMO, don't need to modify the input shaft.

I have one of Dave's Pro builds & his 3021 converter. While your talking to Dave about the transmission , ask him about one of his converters too .

^ What Coach said! I have a Husek trans, can't beat Dave, he is one of the best. Kinda like a Coach!!!

When you say you've been pushing the limits, can you elaborate on that a little? I'm going to be pushing the limits with mine here very soon. What's your engine build and were you on a stock trans?

When you say you've been pushing the limits, can you elaborate on that a little? I'm going to be pushing the limits with mine here very soon. What's your engine build and were you on a stock trans?

The transmission was built by a reputable builder in mid 90's, but it was built before all of the billet hard parts were available. It was built with the original Art Carr pieces(clutches, shift kit and converter). The motor in my car should be a low 10 second set up.

50104741296__870CA18F-CD0D-49CC-83D0-6261489E13B9.JPG
I finally got a little time to tear into my transmission and see what failed. I was little surprised to find that it was the overdrive ring gear that failed. I have had 200r4's in mid 10 second turbo Buicks that used a stock OD ring gear without issues, but this one checked out on the first full boost pull from second gear rolling into the throttle. Any thoughts on what might cause this type of failure on a somewhat easy pull? Thanks