Fixed knock issue with new MAF, now I have a fuel issue?

Ok just re read your post and see alky chip. Have you tested your alky to verify its working properly? If your alky isn't working you're gonna have knock unless you turn the timing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get a fuel pressure gauge you can see while you're driving? I see you replaced a lot of parts but we still need to know that the fuel pressure is rising 1:1 with boost and do you know what it is at idle? Many have trouble getting the fuel pressure low enough when running those pumps. I use one and haven't had an issue but many people have. I'm on a mobile site so I can't see your mods. What chip are you running? If it's a TT chip I would look at what timing is in the chip and for starters take a few degrees out if it's adjustable. I'm just not a fan of driving around with knock trying to figure out why I have it. How old are your injectors and have they sat for a extended period of time with fuel in them?
You say you're getting knock any time you're in boost? Even low boost?

I have the gauge and line combo from autozone you mentioned just haven't tested it. I do have a TT chip. I do not know how old they are but they have been in there for at least 6-7 years. As long as it's been in my family, it's the same injectors car was purchased with. I do have a set of Bosch 42# at home that I had clean out by a professional and received a flow chart to prove they are good. But before I bought the car from my brother the car sat for probably 6 months to a year with maybe a frequent 5 minute drive but he never got on it ever. And yes knock will start to occur at 10 psi

Alky tested and working?
I use Ally Control. Push test button no stumble no boost. Meaning if the engine doesn't stumble from the alky at idle I don't get into boost.

Ok just re read your post and see alky chip. Have you tested your alky to verify its working properly? If your alky isn't working you're gonna have knock unless you turn the timing down.

I believe alky is working fine, while in park if I hit test on the little alky control board the sits in the cabin you can hear the pump shoot the alcohol and the car will bog down.

What is the knob set on?
How old is the pump? They are only good for a couple years.

Can you post a pic? I use alky control and it's just one knob. There are two other settings for when the alky comes on and how much voltage is sent to the pump when it starts. I don't know what you have but the system I use starts alky around 5 psi and progressively gives it more as boost increases. Please post a pic so we can see what you have.

Can you post a pic? I use alky control and it's just one knob. There are two other settings for when the alky comes on and how much voltage is sent to the pump when it starts. I don't know what you have but the system I use starts alky around 5 psi and progressively gives it more as boost increases. Please post a pic so we can see what you have.

I guess I could take the hose off for the alky and then test it and watch how much is actually being sprayed out. If it dripples out then maybe there's my problem

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
Time to upgrade to Alkycontrol. Way better kit and you know everything is new and functioning.

There is a pressure gauge there so you should be able to push the button and have someone tell you what the pressure gauge reads but I would bet that old SMC kit is your problem. Alky is great when it's working properly but many people don't like it because the pumps will fail and when they do severe engine damage will occur if you continue to drive it like it's working. The Alky Control kit is a awesome kit and even with it you can expect to buy a new pump every couple years.
So for now you can lower the boost down to about 16 psi and take about 3 degrees of timing out of all of the chip settings for 1/2 and 3/4 by making adjustments in the chip assuming it's a newer version that is adjustable or you can buy a non alky chip (if you're running 42# injectors I may even have an old chip you can have) or you can upgrade to a new Alky system. Of course you could try to use that SMC kit you have and just buy a new pump (just a guess at what's bad) but since this could cost you $5k to rebuild your engine if it fails at 23 psi of boost I wouldn't recommend that.

These cars will run great without Alky but... at a limited boost. For now, turn your boost down to NO MORE THAN 15lbs. Turn your Alky off. Set your fuel pressure to 43lbs line off. Go out and drive her. If everything is working properly, you should be able to drive without any issues and WOT pulls should be good....

As Scottheidinger mentioned, you will need to pull some timing out of your chip since is is programed for ALKY. You might need to add fuel as well...

Get a fuel gauge/line so you can read full pressure while driving.

Also...side note. I was getting lots of 'false knock' because my down pipe was hitting the frame rail. It's been corrected with many other issues and no more knock.

Good luck

You h
There is a pressure gauge there so you should be able to push the button and have someone tell you what the pressure gauge reads but I would bet that old SMC kit is your problem. Alky is great when it's working properly but many people don't like it because the pumps will fail and when they do severe engine damage will occur if you continue to drive it like it's working. The Alky Control kit is a awesome kit and even with it you can expect to buy a new pump every couple years.
So for now you can lower the boost down to about 16 psi and take about 3 degrees of timing out of all of the chip settings for 1/2 and 3/4 by making adjustments in the chip assuming it's a newer version that is adjustable or you can buy a non alky chip (if you're running 42# injectors I may even have an old chip you can have) or you can upgrade to a new Alky system. Of course you could try to use that SMC kit you have and just buy a new pump (just a guess at what's bad) but since this could cost you $5k to rebuild your engine if it fails at 23 psi of boost I wouldn't recommend that.

you hit the nail right on the head. Had someone hit test while I watch the gauge, alky just started spraying out the bottom of the bump, so it's leaking pretty bad.

BTW, Julio makes a nice kit to test his Alkycontrol system for pump health and leaks. We have found numerous leaks with the kit. You would never know since the alky evaporates so fast you don't see a puddle.

BTW, Julio makes a nice kit to test his Alkycontrol system for pump health and leaks. We have found numerous leaks with the kit. You would never know since the alky evaporates so fast you don't see a puddle.
I didn't think much of it because when I hit test the car still stumbles, so obviously some is still being sprayed into the engine but most of it is just spraying out the bottom of the pump.

You're only getting a portion of the alky it should be. No wonder you got knock.:eek:

I strongly recommend biting the bullet and starting with a complete kit from Julio. it's well made and designed just for us. It works as it should and you will be supporting a vendor that can answer all your questions.

If you can't afford the alky control kit turn the boost and timing down until you can afford it. I have a SMC kit new in a box and I wouldn't install it on anything I currently own. This is the most important insurance policy for your engine. Hopefully you've dodged a bullet already this is the one thing you MUST invest in. Trust me changing head gaskets this time of year really sucks.

If you can't afford the alky control kit turn the boost and timing down until you can afford it. I have a SMC kit new in a box and I wouldn't install it on anything I currently own. This is the most important insurance policy for your engine. Hopefully you've dodged a bullet already this is the one thing you MUST invest in. Trust me changing head gaskets this time of year really sucks.

Yea you guys are right. Then I'll have the piece of mind that if my pump does go down again, I'll know I can get parts for it no problem because the company is still in business. Do you recommend single or duel nozzle