My 200 is toast..looking to go 400

FASTV6HENRY

Well my 200r4 is out of commission going from 2nd to 3rd is just not happening and i am hearing a nice wine coming from it when idling. I am looking to switch it up to a TH400 but not really interested in spending more than $1500 on a transmission. I understand i need a new converter and it another $500-$1000, but not sure what else i need to do the conversion. I would like some recommendations on where to get a TH400 that will last into the high 9's. I also plan on getting a Gear Vendor next year to get my overdrive back. does anyone have experince with it.. Thanks

I would think it easier to find a competent th400 builder than to locate a bop core so you don't need an adapter to bolt it to the block. Have you considered a 4l80e? Some good stand alone controllers out there and the torque converter tech is coming around.

Well my 200r4 is out of commission going from 2nd to 3rd is just not happening and i am hearing a nice wine coming from it when idling. I am looking to switch it up to a TH400 but not really interested in spending more than $1500 on a transmission. I understand i need a new converter and it another $500-$1000, but not sure what else i need to do the conversion. I would like some recommendations on where to get a TH400 that will last into the high 9's. I also plan on getting a Gear Vendor next year to get my overdrive back. does anyone have experince with it.. Thanks
Where are you located ?

Call Janis transmission we will do a 200. Or 400 for u

Call David of Turbo Buick Performance. He is a sponsor and stands behind his work.

A 400 is definitely a cheaper build for 9s, but a 200 can do it no problem. Vince Janis can do either and hold up no problem. I have been running a basic 400 into the 8s since 2010.

also plan on getting a Gear Vendor next year to get my overdrive back. does anyone have experince with it.. Thanks
If you really drive the car lose the 400 idea and go with a serious 200 build from dave husek.his 200 can really handle the power without the loss of 4th gear.

If you really drive the car lose the 400 idea and go with a serious 200 build from dave husek.his 200 can really handle the power without the loss of 4th gear.
The problem with that is he doesn't want to spend more than $1500, otherwise Dave Husek all the way. I was considering going with a 400, due to a board member telling me that if I wanted to got low 10s he would recommend a 400. I was seriously considering it, but I didn't want to lose OD and money wasn't an object so I called Dave and found out I didn't need to go to a 400.

The problem with that is he doesn't want to spend more than $1500,
I understand that but he may have a bigger problem if he hates the way the car drives after he is 1500 in at least (there are other things needed to put in a 400);)

Trans, converter, drive shaft, crossmember and a few other small things and the price will be nowhere near 1,500.

It will be much closer to the cost of a stout 2004r rebuild.

Do the research, then call Dave or Janis if you stay with the 2004R and be done with it knowing that it will stay together.

Last edited:
Trans, converter, drive shaft, crossmember and a few other small things and the price will be nowhere new 1,500.

It will be much closer to the cost of a stout 2004r rebuild.

Do the research, then call Dave or Janis if you stay with the 2004R and be done with it knowing that it will stay together.

you can be very very close to $1500 for a 400 conversion .. now where can you get a reliable 9 second 200R4 with converter for $1500 ?
Scratch that .. where can you get a 9 second 200R4 Trans for $1500 ?

if budget doesn't come into the mix .. 200r4 all the way .. get a great builder and spend $2500 on it and your good to go for 9's

When on a budget and your just interested in going fast without street driving manners .. a 400 isn't such a bad idea .. but another thing to think about is what your giving up with the 400.. street manners and horsepower.

They will run 9's over and over for a long time , but they will eat more horsepower ... Just depends on the owner of the car .. both have merits.

you can be very very close to $1500 for a 400 conversion .. now where can you get a reliable 9 second 200R4 with converter for $1500 ?
Scratch that .. where can you get a 9 second 200R4 Trans for $1500 ?

if budget doesn't come into the mix .. 200r4 all the way .. get a great builder and spend $2500 on it and your good to go for 9's

When on a budget and your just interested in going fast without street driving manners .. a 400 isn't such a bad idea .. but another thing to think about is what your giving up with the 400.. street manners and horsepower.

They will run 9's over and over for a long time , but they will eat more horsepower ... Just depends on the owner of the car .. both have merits.

Please tell me how you can buy all the parts needed for a 9sec. car for 1,500 using quality parts. Converter [500/cheapo] and up, trans 700 for a stock build which won't hold 9's, drive shaft depends on where sourced or built 300 and up. Cross member ? Add a few hundred more for misc. and you are close to a 2004r build.

I do agree that a 400 built right and all supporting parts needed would be a better way to go for a car that is going to see 9's all the time or track duty.

Please tell me how you can buy all the parts needed for a 9sec. car for 1,500 using quality parts. Converter [500/cheapo] and up, trans 700 for a stock build which won't hold 9's, drive shaft depends on where sourced or built 300 and up. Cross member ? Add a few hundred more for misc. and you are close to a 2004r build.

I do agree that a 400 built right and all supporting parts needed would be a better way to go for a car that is going to see 9's all the time or track duty.

Have you done one ?? Have you actually converted a GN over to a 400 and held 9 second power for multiple seasons to prove out its reliable ?
IT doesn't take a lot to get a 400 to take 9's .. its a damn stout trans and parts are CHEAP !

Your not doing a 200 build for anything close to a 400 swap .. you cant even get a 9 second 200 anywhere NEAR $1500

Tell me if Husek, Janis, Kurtz, Lonnie can do a 9 second trans that will live for multiple seasons in a full weight GN for $1500 and I will order one right now.

Have you done one ?? Have you actually converted a GN over to a 400 and held 9 second power for multiple seasons to prove out its reliable ?
IT doesn't take a lot to get a 400 to take 9's .. its a damn stout trans and parts are CHEAP !

Your not doing a 200 build for anything close to a 400 swap .. you cant even get a 9 second 200 anywhere NEAR $1500

Tell me if Husek, Janis, Kurtz, Lonnie can do a 9 second trans that will live for multiple seasons in a full weight GN for $1500 and I will order one right now.

I agree you can't get a 2004R built cheap that will hold 9 sec. power. My point is that you can't do a 400 swap for $1,500 either that will hold that kind of power.

A good converter alone is half that budget. Factor in all the other costs and you are at 3 grand for what you call a stout trans. I have blown up a few 400's also in my day. They need to be built to handle that kind of power. No stock THM will hold 9 sec. power.

Let me know how much you spent on your conversion and list the price of all parts/labor used to do it. I'm curious how it's done that cheap and would like to do the swap myself if it can be done for under 2 grand with everything included.

My $1500 +- price range is only for the Transmission. I know that a good PTC converter will run me about 1k, along with other stuff like a trans mount,shifter, and Drive shaft. Like i mentioned earlier i was also thinking on Getting a Gear Vendor if it is worth it depends on input from people who have one. I just still think that what i have been pricing a good 200R will cost me $3300 and thats not even including shipping. Would like to get input on the guys who are running a TH400. i heard some people dropping the rear gear ratio down to a 3.23 or 3.08 to help with keeping the car in the power band at the end of the track and also with better hwy RPM. But i will consider all advise from you guys since i am at a deciding point on what route to take.

My $1500 +- price range is only for the Transmission. I know that a good PTC converter will run me about 1k, along with other stuff like a trans mount,shifter, and Drive shaft. Like i mentioned earlier i was also thinking on Getting a Gear Vendor if it is worth it depends on input from people who have one. I just still think that what i have been pricing a good 200R will cost me $3300 and thats not even including shipping. Would like to get input on the guys who are running a TH400. i heard some people dropping the rear gear ratio down to a 3.23 or 3.08 to help with keeping the car in the power band at the end of the track and also with better hwy RPM. But i will consider all advise from you guys since i am at a deciding point on what route to take.

Now that is in the realm of reality.

Sorry, I thought you were trying for 1,500 total and that's not realistic.

The biggest set back will be the gear vendor down the road if you so choose and then you have just spent your way past a sweet 2004R that will hold up to 9's.

I am hoping the total cost will pay off in the long run since it is alot cheaper to freshen up a TH400. I also heard that the pump pressure on the 400 needs to be adjusted to avoid taking out my thrust bearing. Does anyone have details on going about doing this?