My 1986 GN - Built/Modified by ASC-McLaren?

The two 87 Limiteds and a 87 t sleeping at my house all have the lacquer designation with different numbers.

Just to clarify, my car does NOT have an AstroRoof, Sunroof, or T-Tops - it is a solid roof car. So, I know this has nothing to do with ASC (the sunroof/moonroof company).

American Sunroof Corporation is the ASC of ASC Mclaren...here is the story

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/asc/asc.htm

Xray would probably be your best bet for information as he worked for ASC Mclaren on the GNX project. Dennis Kirban and Richard Clark are extremely knowledgeable as well. All are members here. Good luck

Bryan

Your guy certainly aint no expert. Every single G-Body that rolled off the Pontiac assembly line has some type of number stamped on that cowl tag as stated by some of the replies. That number is an internal code used by Fisher Body when the "tub" was assembled. I've never been able to fully decypher those codes. Your car,and every other 85-87 Turbo Regal was built on two seperate assembly lines. First the tub was assembled by GMAD in Flint MI and than loaded onto a railcar and shipped south to the Pontiac MI assembly plant where it was mated to the assembled frame and finished. If you have one of the excellent Stephen Dove Turbo Buick Facts & Figures book look in the Last GN chapter. You'll see a pic of the assembled tub waiting to be loaded on the assembly line.

Now what I did find interesting about your cowl tag is the B48 code down in the lower right corner next to the W11 T-Type code. B48 is the RPO code for the deluxe trunk trim. My 86 GN has that option but I dont have a B48 stamped on the cowl tag.

Your guy certainly aint no expert. Every single G-Body that rolled off the Pontiac assembly line has some type of number stamped on that cowl tag as stated by some of the replies. That number is an internal code used by Fisher Body when the "tub" was assembled. I've never been able to fully decypher those codes. Your car,and every other 85-87 Turbo Regal was built on two seperate assembly lines. First the tub was assembled by GMAD in Flint MI and than loaded onto a railcar and shipped south to the Pontiac MI assembly plant where it was mated to the assembled frame and finished. If you have one of the excellent Stephen Dove Turbo Buick Facts & Figures book look in the Last GN chapter. You'll see a pic of the assembled tub waiting to be loaded on the assembly line.

Now what I did find interesting about your cowl tag is the B48 code down in the lower right corner next to the W11 T-Type code. B48 is the RPO code for the deluxe trunk trim. My 86 GN has that option but I dont have a B48 stamped on the cowl tag.

First, thanks for your feedback. Based on the fact that a lot of cars have a stamped number there similar to mine, it would appear that it's nothing special, as you point out. Would be interesting to know what it means, though.

My car doesn't have the deluxe trunk trim, just the flimsy one-piece of blackish gray carpet that goes over the floor, so I think the "B48" on my cowl tag means something different. Another mystery perhaps?

Thanks again,

Now I really feel stupid. I checked my two GN's and couldn't find that plate. Is it on the firewall somewhere? Thanks.

GNRick said:
Now I really feel stupid. I checked my two GN's and couldn't find that plate. Is it on the firewall somewhere? Thanks.

Open the hood and look at the base of the driver side windshield wiper.

My '86 GN has T6 stamped on the tag, my '86 T-type doesn't look like anything is stamped there.

Both have a Rounded triangle stamp there.

Attachments

• 86gntag.jpg
    86gntag.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 86ttype.jpg
    86ttype.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 133
The original plan with ASC from what I been told they had intentions to repaint them as they felt the Buick paint jobs would reflect badly on ASC...it was because of this they selected certain ones on the assembly line to become GNXs....based I believe on ones that got better paint than some. The GNX project was pretty much rushed so they did not repaint the cars...

They do say lacquer on the body plate...I am getting a WAE4 tomorrow and I remember the owner telliong me it said lacquer on it....as he had to prove it to the body shop./

Again what I say above is based on what I been told by others way back when...

Regardless of what Buick sprayed on the cars they did a very poor job with black paint.......I have owned some very nice low mielage examples that huge areas would be dull or have excessive orange peal in it. Buick did have an inner memo to dealers explaining about the paint issues mainly based on the 1986 models.

sorry not more help than that.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Heres a photo of mine. Its an 86 GN.

Attachments

• cowl tag.JPG
    cowl tag.JPG
    659.8 KB · Views: 111
The original plan with ASC from what I been told they had intentions to repaint them as they felt the Buick paint jobs would reflect badly on ASC...it was because of this they selected certain ones on the assembly line to become GNXs....based I believe on ones that got better paint than some. The GNX project was pretty much rushed so they did not repaint the cars...

They do say lacquer on the body plate...I am getting a WAE4 tomorrow and I remember the owner telliong me it said lacquer on it....as he had to prove it to the body shop./

Again what I say above is based on what I been told by others way back when...

Regardless of what Buick sprayed on the cars they did a very poor job with black paint.......I have owned some very nice low mielage examples that huge areas would be dull or have excessive orange peal in it. Buick did have an inner memo to dealers explaining about the paint issues mainly based on the 1986 models.

sorry not more help than that.

denniskirban@yahoo.com[/quote]

There's no way ASC or anyone could have possibly been pulling them off the line for conversion based on paint quality. Every car was ordered with specific options and very few random gns would have had the exact correct options that they needed for GNX conversion. I just don't see how it could happen. Now, double checking cars that were destined to be a GNX, maybe rejecting one or 2 tubs over paint quality, is possible. Eery single car that goes down an assembly line is ordered by somebody, they don't just build random cars and ship them out. Not to start a pissing match but it couldnt happen that way.

I have the same dent and "20" stamped in my 86 gn, I would really like to find out what it means as well.

Yeah, my car had an FBI badge in the glove box, too...

It definitely appears that my "expert" was a little off on his analysis, especially since there's another 86 with a "20" stamped on it. However, the question remains - what do these numbers and marks mean, and why do only some cars seem to have them? Interesting that there are many knowledgable experts on these cars, but nobody seems to know, at least not yet.

It's probably something mundane, but inquiring minds need to know...

Thanks,

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

Mine's an 86, didn't notice until I saw the pic, but it looks like a raised 17 the the right of the indented 84.

Attachments

• DSCN2341.JPG
    DSCN2341.JPG
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 97