Museum quality GN with 5100 original miles

Most GNs have been repainted, so that fact really doesn't hurt the value.

Still available. Last time posting. Will work with serious buyer on price + delivery. Call me at 913-461-4890.

Most GNs have been repainted, so that fact really doesn't hurt the value.

Still available. Last time posting. Will work with serious buyer on price + delivery. Call me at 913-461-4890.

I have to dissagree with you on the painting issue. If I were buying a car with 5100 miles and paying top dollar, which is what you are looking for in current market conditions for a hot air, I would expect it to be original factory paint, orange peel and all.

I have bought and sold many low mileage cars, including a couple of GN's and if I sniffed any sort of paintwork, there is no way I would pay top dollar.

This is not an attempt to diminish the value of your car, but I do agree with lonestar.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I've sold dozens of GNs over the years both with original paint and repainted, and in looking at that data, I have not noticed any significant differences in the prices. Clearly the biggest driver on the prices of these cars is the original mileage.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I've sold dozens of GNs over the years both with original paint and repainted, and in looking at that data, I have not noticed any significant differences in the prices. Clearly the biggest driver on the prices of these cars is the original mileage.

I guess we have differences of opinions, and I respect yours. I only can tell you how myself and numerous other collectors I deal with feel about originality of paint when dealing with original low millage garage/trailer queens.

Doug- Why didnt you respond to my email about the hood ornament I sent you through ebay-- did you not get it?

Ty

785 476 5344

Doug- Why didnt you respond to my email about the hood ornament I sent you through ebay-- did you not get it?

Ty

785 476 5344
I responded to someone about the hood ornament, not sure if it was you or not. If I didn't, wasn't intentional.

I guess we have differences of opinions, and I respect yours. I only can tell you how myself and numerous other collectors I deal with feel about originality of paint when dealing with original low millage garage/trailer queens.

I understand, and respect yours as well. I'm just saying there are just as many collectors in my professional experience in doing this for a living who don't see it as a detractor at all. Tomato or Tomahto.

Ty

785 476 5344

Just a note to flag that there's a pretty detailed discussion on the whole hood ornament issue earlier in this thread here.

Thanks. I think it will be a very good long term investment for the buyer. They aren't given their due respect now, but much like the TTAs, their day will come.

It's going to South Carolina, for those in that area who want to keep an eye out for it.

Just to start this post off positively (it'll end this way too)--this car is SWEET--the nicest '84 GN I've seen since they were new.

Now, about BX1. This RPO became a pretty hotly debated topic earlier tonight at my local BCA meeting where a number of other GN owners and I chewed the fat on this over some coffee and such at the local eatery that puts up with us taking up way too much of their parking lot.

One of the guys brought his RPO book (published by GM in 1990) that covers G-bodies across all GM lines and other platforms too. The full desription of BX1 is "ORNAMENTATION, EXTR FRT END, SPECIAL EMBLEMS." The concensus was that BX1 refers to the Grand National emblems on the front fenders. My '87 GN has RPO BX1 on the Service Parts Identification Label on the underside of the decklid-- the car doesn't have a hood ornament, nor do the other three GNs (2 '86's and 1 other '87) that were all parked together tonight--yes, with BX1 on their SPI labels too.

So, does this make any difference as it relates to this beautiful '84 GN. Most likely not if there are no signs of front end damage (core support pull or replacment, frame horn damage, etc.). Myself and one other fellow BCA member have seen another '84 GN (about two years ago--another low mile car--different VIN) for sale at a dealer in Houston--same outfit trying to sell the 9 mile GNX for $110,000 on eBay now for 6+ months. It too had the ornament and a lot of people doubted the car's originality because '84 Buick order guide info. notes that the hood ornament was not available on the Grand National in '84. The GN Facts and Figures Book II, page 135 shows two profile diagrams of the Regal, one "Regal, Regal Limited-Sedans" and the second "Regal T-Type, Regal Limited-Coupes." In the lower (second) diagram it reads "Stand-up hood ornament (std) (N.A. on Grand National).

So again, this and a cup of that coffee we all drank tonight will buy you an opinion. If the car shows no signs of collision damage it was probably an inadvertant assembly line "special treatment"--mistake. These happened--just grab the wrong header (with a whole for a hood ornament) before the part sequences to the paint department and what you get is a car that actually has more collector appeal as it was faster to put an ornament in that hole then to move the car over to repair at the end of the line. If the previous owner has pictures of the car when new that would really document things nicely.

Net/net, the heck with it. Someone's gonna get a great GN with nicer paint than any of us orange peel lovers! :cool:
Ornamentation is one of my pet peeves and I've researched this for the better part of 15 years along with consulted my family who actually worked at the BOP (Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac) plant here in MI that actually built these. They'd comment at seeing Monte Carlo SS' and Grand Nationals along with every other G body model rolling down the same assembly line one in front of the other at times, mixed in with Olds Cutlasses (442's sometimes).

1986-1987 GNs were never officially built with hood ornaments unless one was damaged and repaired at the factory with a non-GN unit and slipped past inspection. I've never seen an original with one. On a side note, my 1st GN had an error on the plate above the glove box FROM THE FACTORY! It said "Buick Regal" from a T instead of the standard GN unit.

As far as the 1984 hood ornament issue, 1984's WERE IN FACT built with hood ornaments. It was not an option via a service order, it was simply a mish-mash of parts they used. Not many of them were and most didn't have them but fact is some were factory original.

My uncle was a quality control inspector for GMC when they were building the Syclone and Typhoons. Things were run a lot looser back then than they are today. Inventory control was less than adequate so some units left the factory with extra items, missing emblems or other minor imperfections. Vehicles were also damaged on occasion and turned over to repair. They did the best job they could and sometimes didn't put the car back exactly as it should have been hence a "one off" unit would make out to a dealer. Kind of like mis-printed US currency, they're rare but they're out there.

One story my uncle just told me was about a GMC Jimmy that was "special built" for a family friend. The vehicle was given extra attention as it went down the assembly line and was parked off to the side next to stacked crates of parts on a pallet. Well, a hi-lo driver came to pick up the pallet and didn't see the Jimmy behind the stack and poked it's forks through the side of the truck...OOPS! Off to repair. These things result in odd things coming from the factory but an '84 GN with a hood ornament isn't one of them.

That's one HELLUVA nice '84 Grand National! I feel your pain about having a show car that just takes up space. I felt guilty driving my 357 mile GN and had to sell it. Our two cars belong in the same museum. Good luck on the sale.

I'm wondering if repainting this car to such a high standard was worth it for a car with 5100 miles.

I'm willing to bet you would get the same price for the car either way. And irregardless, there's no way you'll get your money back for the cost of the paint job vs. leaving the original paint.

The paint job shown in the pics is definitely worthy of being called "show quality", perhaps a bit too nice for those GN purists out there.

Granted the factory paint jobs were sub-par to say the least, but there are those collectors out there who love seeing that hideous factory orange peel ::tongue:.

I recently was debating re-painting my 83 Monte for the same reasons, and it was REALLY nice, looked factory new, but instead of dumping 5k into it, I decided just to sell it and most likely got just as much with the crappy 80's GM paint job. But I guess a Monte is much different than a GN in terms of collectibility, so not sure if that applies here, but I can guarantee you there are many people scratching their heads.. If you painted it to keep it, fine and dandy, and if you bought it this way, well I guess its not your fault, just an observation.

I hope you'll find someone who'll be willing to appreciate your car... and appreciate the fine paint job it now has..

Granted the factory paint jobs were sub-par to say the least, but there are those collectors out there who love seeing that hideous factory orange peel :.

I must strongly disagree with you there, They put out some of the best paint jobs that would put todays pain jobs to shame, I have a 87 original paint Grand National and I just bought a brand new black Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 87 Grand National puts the Cherokee to shame, The picture does not do it Justice,

Attachments

• Grand national.jpg
    Grand national.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 312