Msd

Yes , Thanks very much Spike, I am going to purchase an MSD Dis ignition when this is resolved.

Jeff

I have 4 dis4 boxes if you need one I can let a couple go give me a call.
919-771-2269
Qualityautoservice.net

I have not yet received final approval from upper management to send our official post. I can tell you that we do have compatibility issues with our DIS Ignition Controls and aftermarket controllers. We have been working with the individuals from FAST and we do have a couple of Buick GN's coming into our manufacturing facility to do some additional testing.

Spike Clapper
Customer Service Manager
MSD Ignition

Originally posted by Spike Clapper
I have not yet received final approval from upper management to send our official post. I can tell you that we do have compatibility issues with our DIS Ignition Controls and aftermarket controllers. We have been working with the individuals from FAST and we do have a couple of Buick GN's coming into our manufacturing facility to do some additional testing.

Spike Clapper
Customer Service Manager
MSD Ignition

Has anyone seen the response mentioned above???

And has anyone noticed Pete Barton's post about the rev limiter switches - all down is not off, it's 6250 rpm. Is this the problem or what?

More to it??

Originally posted by ijames
And has anyone noticed Pete Barton's post about the rev limiter switches - all down is not off, it's 6250 rpm. Is this the problem or what?

Evidently not. Seems as there's alot more to it than switches.. as seen in the 80 some posts of prior thread:eek:

If I remember right, when I first was having the 6250 problem, I tried setting the rev limit to 10000 with no luck. I've got a feeling there's a little more to it than just the switches not being set right.

I may be way off base here, BUT ;)

I can see where adding an aftermarket ECU such as FAST would not have any rev limit issues.
However, when using the MSD DIS4 with the stock ECU, I'm thinking no matter what is done with the MSD, the stock ECU's chip controlled rev limiter is going to take over at it's set point.
I'm at work and can't look into the file here, but if memory serves, even if one was to set the rev limiter to it's highest HEX value (FF), I think that still equates to a maximum value of 6250.
Correct?

Originally posted by TurboDave
I may be way off base here, BUT ;)

I can see where adding an aftermarket ECU such as FAST would not have any rev limit issues.
However, when using the MSD DIS4 with the stock ECU, I'm thinking no matter what is done with the MSD, the stock ECU's chip controlled rev limiter is going to take over at it's set point.
I'm at work and can't look into the file here, but if memory serves, even if one was to set the rev limiter to it's highest HEX value (FF), I think that still equates to a maximum value of 6250.
Correct?

Dave,

I believe you are right about the Stock ECM chip rev. limit being the governing factor vs the msd setting.

I think the max setting in the ECM chips can be set to 6375rpm with the ff entries. Of course if necessary the chips rev limit can be shut off.

Joe
PT&E
219-996-7832
precisionturbo.net

That's what we did on Dads car. We had the rev limiter in the chip turned off. He usually shifts at 6500-6600 rpm, but it has seen 6800 a couple of times. Then
all of a sudden, it wouldn't rpm.:confused: Still not sure we have it 100% figured
out. But for now, it runs alot better with the MSD unplugged.:rolleyes:

Brandon

I can Honestly say after using all types of MSDs on all types of systems, NOTING can outperform the analog pieces!!!!

"Out tricking" ourselves??

Originally posted by EightSecV6
I can Honestly say after using all types of MSDs on all types of systems, NOTING can outperform the analog pieces!!!!

I think Bill has come to the "right on" conclusion. It seems alot of the "trick of the month" devices look great, and in theory, could work. But they only end up causing alot of frustration, lost performance, and even worse.. Money.

It looks like the "KISS" principle wins again!!! We all know what that is.

Back to the basics...:cool:

I just installed an msd on TTA and a big stuff on a customers car and it starts breaking up around 4500.I have done dozens of these and never had a problem.The only difference is that i put this one inside the car were the stock computer was and all the TR were installed under the hood.I also noticed that the radio is scrathy.I'm going to move the msd and see if it changes.I'll post outcome.

Sounds like you have a serious EMI/RFI problem! Tell me about the plug wires this car is running.
Also, I'm sure you've checked all the grounds.

I don't think the antenna would leak enough EMI to cause such a problem... BUT
Many plug wires WILL, especially so called low resistance "race" wires. They are extremely problematic for modern day electronic systems.

Well after putting it in the engine compartment and routing any other wires away from the msd harness,no problems.The radio sounds fine and no more miss in higher rpm.I don't know if this is the solution but it did help.Dave the wires are msd's and were on the car before and it didn't have any problems.

Any updates on the MSD boxes guys? How are the new boxes working with BS3 systems?

Spike Clapper can you provide any updates from an Engineering stand point? We never recieved your "offical" post.

Thanks for any updates.