Msd

ChrisCairns

For those of you that remember.....

I had a missing problem at high rpm and suspected the MSD DIS-4 box.

I returned the box to MSD along with a long letter of explanation. After they had an opportunity to check it out I phoned them and they admitted there was a problem with it.

Today I received a brand new box from them.

I just want to give a heads up on the good service from them. (Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that this one works. :)

Chris

Let us know if this one works. I got one that has never worked rite. I sent it back to them they could'nt find nothing wrong with it so it sets on the shelf. It allways breaks up at high RPM.
Big 88:

I know some others who are having that same problem. Hope they got it straightened out for you. Personally Im going to go the eDis route with the LS1 coils.

Hey Jay,

How's the "Mean Kids" car coming along? Have you gotten the suspension set to make full passes yet?

Chris,may MSD Dis 4 box has also,"taken a dump"
The car would not start,back fired,spit up.
I disconnected the MSD,(put in the plug) the car starts now!
This box has less than 1 hour total run time.
I will be contacting them asap
The box is near two years old,think they will do any repairs in warranty?
Austin

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Hey Jay,

How's the "Mean Kids" car coming along? Have you gotten the suspension set to make full passes yet?

If it quits raining, we should be able to get it out this week. Been fighting a lot of small gremlins on the car but hopefully we are ready to go.

I am having the same problem with one of my units, it breaks up at 6200. When I install a different dis 4 from another car it works fine. I have sent it back twice they tell me it is fine maybe after the third time they will give me a new unit.

Originally posted by N2BUICK
Chris,may MSD Dis 4 box has also,"taken a dump"
The car would not start,back fired,spit up.
I disconnected the MSD,(put in the plug) the car starts now!
This box has less than 1 hour total run time.
I will be contacting them asap
The box is near two years old,think they will do any repairs in warranty?
Austin

More and more people are saying there is something wrong with their box.

A few months back when I first said something on here about mine missing, others said theirs were also. Now Big88, Jay knows of others and you. Sure sounds like a definite manufacturing problem.

I didn't tell MSD the date when I bought my box...and they didn't ask. I wrote a long letter telling them that when I previously had spoken to their technician he had told me it either worked or didn't (which is wrong) and because of that wrong information I had spent money and time trying to narrow the problem, and had finally arrived at the conclusion that it was definitely the box.

I didn't ask for a return authorization number....I simply boxed it up along with the letter and shipped it off. Then I phoned them a couple of days after the UPS website showed it had been delivered.

You (and Big88) should just ship yours off also. Along with a letter explaining the problem. I'll betcha they are getting the hint that there is a flaw in their product.

Chris

About time for a dumb question. Why even run the MSD? What is the gain? Please gave me all the reasons why I would want one. I just run the stock system with no problems.

Originally posted by Bobtempest
About time for a dumb question. Why even run the MSD? What is the gain? Please gave me all the reasons why I would want one. I just run the stock system with no problems.

Easy.

(1) It's purty red.
(2) Makes you look like you know some stuff
(3) A simple way of getting rid of excess money
(4) Puts weight up front where you need it
(5) When the engine wiring catches on fire you know EXACTLY where to aim the extinquisher.
(6) Makes the complicated TR more complicated
(7) Comes with neat MSD stickers
(8) You get to spend more money on the Buick adapter
(9) The babes will bend over to get a better look at it and you also get a better look

And the number 10 reason to buy an MSD DIS4.......................

YOUR CAR WON'T RUN CORRECTLY EVER AGAIN.:D

Oh, you wanted a serious answer......

It has a lot of good features if you DON'T have a FAST puter.

Set rpm high limit....launch rpm limit....hotter spark (open up plug gap)..spark retard for NOS...when the retard applies....will retard the spark without changing the chip and at what rpm....and it has a theft deterent.

With FAST you don't use a lot of the features as they're built into the FAST puter. I bought it for the launch rpm limiter (connected to my trans brake). Plus the hotter spark.

Chris

Chris,

For launch, why use an RPM stutter? Why not a boost limiter working off the trans brake? I love mine.

Chris,
I like #9.
Don't run a ran trans brake.
I do use MSD on my old Pontiac. No gain but a little better idle with a big cam.
I have not put one on the GN because of #6.
How ever if more girls at BG start wearing "Dukes" or short dresses, I will have one (#9). I know you would be there to enjoy the view.
The chicks seem to love imports. ??????????????????????
Maybe you can teach them about Buicks.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Chris,

For launch, why use an RPM stutter? Why not a boost limiter working off the trans brake? I love mine.

I had one hooked up and tore it out some time back when I couldn't figure out why my old 72 wouldn't build more than 16 lbs of boost. (Hint...I paid for a 72 and received a 68). I tore it out to narrow down the reasons for lack of boost.

I should have put it back in since controlling boost is the correct way of limiting launch power....but I got attracted to this MSD box. I think it was the color. :D

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisCairns

I should have put it back in since controlling boost is the correct way of limiting launch power....but I got attracted to this MSD box. I think it was the color. :D

Chris

True, the color is cool! Besides, the chicks dig billet anodized aluminum more than a black plastic knob....:D

Has anyone actually had their box fixed? I sent mine in and it came back as no problem found, but the problem remains. I may have borrow a box offf a friends car to try out.
Greg Kring

Another alternative. I don't know how this works for the Buicks but they are getting rave reviews by the Mustang magazines for their DIS stuff on the mod motors and they do offer a box for the Buicks.

Ignition Solutions

I'm not really looking for better spark yet, mainly I just need the two step. I'd ditch the MSD box if I had an alternative. Anybody know of any stand-alone two steps? My innovative boost controller does a great job of holding boost at a preset level on the line, but I'd like to play with two stepping the car and pulling back timing to help spoolup while on the brake. What sucks is that I have a $300 box that doesn't work right that MSD won't acknolwedge their is a problem with.
Greg Kring

MSD DIS-4 PROBS?

Hmmm...wonder if Jason Cramer (2002 & 2003 TSM Winner) has had any trouble with his MSD DIS-4 on his way to running those 9.90s?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it the standard street/strip MSD DIS-4 *OR* the race MSD DIS-4 HO (High-Output) giving probs?

:confused: :confused: :confused: