Msd btm

skidman

3 turbos,no money
I have an 81 Riv draw through engine I used in my sand rail before changing to an 87 GN engine. I used a 79 dist. Engine ran very good on 110 race gas, but I would like it to run on pump gas. How much boost can you run with a BTM and pump gas? Engine is fresh,has 1175 miles on it. Has anyone tried using vac. advance on manifold vacuum instead of port on carb? A friend did that on a Pinto powered sand rail. His claim is boost "blows" advance back to below what it would be if disconnected.Skidman.

well its not what the BTM can do

it what you can.

the draw thru system alone is limited to about 11lbs.

the problem, is after that the turbo is just generating heat, which doesnt help with pump gas.

a BTM wont really do much for you, other than give you some control over the timing rate UP to the maximum boost.

as for the Vaccuum advance, applying boost to it would not be wise, as its not calibrated to retard the ignition vs advance it.

what you need to do, is upgrade the turbo. and then re adjust your BTM.

A.j.

I have an 81 Riv draw through engine I used in my sand rail before changing to an 87 GN engine. I used a 79 dist. Engine ran very good on 110 race gas, but I would like it to run on pump gas. How much boost can you run with a BTM and pump gas? Engine is fresh,has 1175 miles on it. Has anyone tried using vac. advance on manifold vacuum instead of port on carb? A friend did that on a Pinto powered sand rail. His claim is boost "blows" advance back to below what it would be if disconnected.Skidman.

please post some pics of the sand rail.

To Dr. Frankenstein, How do you adapt say a TA49(which i have a spare)to the 5 bolt carb base? I am sure a 49 would be a BIG improvement over the stock turbo. To MAT231V6, I will post pics when I can,I am a new member.Skidman.

You've got 5 posts now so you can post a pic. Have at it. I'd like to see some myself.

To Dr. Frankenstein, How do you adapt say a TA49(which i have a spare)to the 5 bolt carb base? I am sure a 49 would be a BIG improvement over the stock turbo. To MAT231V6, I will post pics when I can,I am a new member.Skidman.

sounds good.

To Charlie1f,Hey,you are right,I can post pics now. All 81 engine pics are non digital photos,so I will have to scan a bounch of my old pics. We finally bought a digital cam,so I will take some current shots,also.Local sand rail builder is Country Buggy Shop,Dick built both my frames,a 106 in. 2-seater and a 122 in 4 seater. 4 seater is now the 81 Riv draw thru and 2 seater is an 87 GN powered. Dr Frankenstein,Mat231v6 and Charlie1f, You have made my day by having an interest in my car,all work friends are sbc fans,and have NO interest in turbo buicks. I will post pics as soon as I can. Skidman.

Update,just came from garage with several shots. Need to download and post. May be in the morning,I am computer illerate.Skidman.

To Charlie1f,Hey,you are right,I can post pics now. All 81 engine pics are non digital photos,so I will have to scan a bounch of my old pics. We finally bought a digital cam,so I will take some current shots,also.Local sand rail builder is Country Buggy Shop,Dick built both my frames,a 106 in. 2-seater and a 122 in 4 seater. 4 seater is now the 81 Riv draw thru and 2 seater is an 87 GN powered. Dr Frankenstein,Mat231v6 and Charlie1f, You have made my day by having an interest in my car,all work friends are sbc fans,and have NO interest in turbo buicks. I will post pics as soon as I can. Skidman.

glad to hear i made your day. i think a sand rail is way cool with a turbo v6 in it. rock on!

So if I ran my D/T setup without a ESC/BTM for a while... it will be fine? I would like to get the turbo on asap and make sure the carb works.

you dont adapt one.

i build one special just for the carb use. and is most definitly a big improvement.

A.j.

Turbo upgrade

Hey Dr.Frankenstein,
Please fill me in on what you have in mind,and the cost.I just saw your responce. What I have is a Precision TA-49 with both a Garret 63 and a Precision 70.Skidman.

Hey Dr.Frankenstein,
Please fill me in on what you have in mind,and the cost.I just saw your responce. What I have is a Precision TA-49 with both a Garret 63 and a Precision 70.Skidman.

when i saw your post on the board i thought i was going to see some pics glad to see you came back tho. i hope aj will hook you up.

Turbo upgrade

Hey MAT231V6,
I have new pics downloaded,and found edit photo on user CP, but unsure how to put them together. Do you minimise pics,then bring up this site, then what? Sorry so illiterate,but I am trying.Skidman.

Hey MAT231V6,
I have new pics downloaded,and found edit photo on user CP, but unsure how to put them together. Do you minimise pics,then bring up this site, then what? Sorry so illiterate,but I am trying.Skidman.

when you go to post a message there is a little paper clip in the tool bar its near the fonts. click it a pop up will come up then hit browse there you put the photo up on from you computer. then hit upload and it should come up it may take some time to upload.

if you want you can email me the pictures and i can post them but i think you can do it now that i told you how. please post the drawthru turbo sandrail i have never seen a drawthru set up in a sand rail.

The way I post pics is click on "post reply" and wait until it fully loads. Scroll down and you'll see "manage attachments". Click on it and you can load from your puter or a URL.

Hey Dr.Frankenstein,

well, we can adapt that pretty easy!

which housing did you need to fit your intake?

I actually do need to see an engine picture so I can see exactly what we need to do it.

A.j.

msd btm/turbo upgrade

Dr Frankenstein,
The turbo looks similar to a regal turbo,but the intake side of turbo uses an aluminum sleeve with 2 o-rings,1 for intake and 1 for turbo.I worked at a GM dealership at the time,and the parts Mgr. located new o-rings,this was 1996.
Do you have re using the comp. housing in mind and boring it to size for an upgrade? My turbos for the 87 engines are stock appearing. Is a TA-49 too
big for a draw thru set-up? Engine is fresh, but bone stock. Thanks for the interest. Skidman.