Using an MSD 6AL BTM

dmarx

So, I am back, 28Essex V-6 is doing great. Can the MSD 6AL BTM be used on the '79 draw thru. Looking for something more modern. Have had a couple of broken wires on the ESC that have been driving me to consider alternate forms of relaxation!!!!! Don't even ask!

The BTM cannot pull timing in response to knock to protect the motor. Basically, you would have to be pulling timing all the time to be safe. It something to use in addition to, not in place, of ESC.

There's a more modern knock control system out there now Dan. It will pull timing from an individual cylinder when it sees know instead of all the cylinders at once. It's a bit pricey but Aj and Canadian Nascar are both using it. The basic unit is around $500 but you can set it up to do some interesting things, like stages of timing per gear shift. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but it does work much better than the stock system ever could.

J&S Safeguard is the unit your thinking of Charlie.

Although you cannot currently buy one, I really like my Mallory 685 ignition box. Does everything I want except knock sensing and control. But I work around that