mph gain last 1/8th mile

turb0buick57

Highest mph was 114.07 last night. Questions I have are is the 24mph gain the last eighth mile what I am looking for with a locked converter or should I play with the lockup mph some more? Car is shifting into 3rd around 65mph. Lockup is set at 80mph.

Previous best, was setting up my new tt 6.1 chip. Stock settings in the chip. Combo is stock longblock, ta49,; v4 intercooler, alky, and nittos. Temperature was 60-62degrees boost 21lbs in 1st 22-23lbs after that. Unlocked I was able to run
60ft 1.72
330 5.00
1/8th 7.78 88mph
1000et 10.19 100.65mph
1/4et 12.26 at 108.99mph

Last night, I was thinking previous mph was still low. temperature was 50-53degrees. I set the converter to lock at 90mph. couldnt sixty ft to save my life.
60ft 1.93
330 5.24
1/8th 8.0 89.04mph
1000et 10.40 101.69mph
1/4et 12.42 at 111.94mph

Mph was more what I was looking for. Set the wideband to 10.9 a/f in 1st/2nd 10.8 3rd. Boost 22-24lbs, set converter to lock at 80mph
60ft 1.91
330 5.18
1/8th 7.94 89.48mph
1000et 10.30 103.73mph
1/4et 12.29 at 113.87mph

I would expect that gain locking. Looks like your converter isn't very efficient unlocked. My NL 9.5" couples well enough I'm around 95-96mph on the 2-3 shift around 6200rpm with slicks with 29" designation.

typical gain should be + 25% of your 1/8th
for 100 mph in the 1/8th expect 125mph in the 1/4

with that
your 88 mph in the 1/8th (if it did that without issues ) should net a top end pickup of 88mph x .25 = 22mph
so expected trap would be 110mph

more mph pickup sometimes occurs because of poor boost control (creep up) ...running more boost usually results in more power so the pickup can be greater than 25%
also some cars cant maintain an AF ratio at upper rpms and if you were too rich down low and it was hurting power and started to lean you could pickup due to a better AF for power (leaner is meaner)
now if your 1/4 mph gain is higher and boost(power) was constant.. than your 1/8 mph needs work

Thank you for the responses. Been having trouble getting boost in first gear to go above 21-22lbs. During 1st gear it goes rich, all the way to 10.0 on the wideband, once into 2nd it levels out around 10.7-10.8a/f. So i'm sure i'm leaving some on the table the first 1/8th. The boost does creep up to 23-24lbs by the end of the quarter so pacecarta your post explains that to me. Still have work to do the first 1/8th and a better boost controller. Wasnt sure what rpm I was getting to at the end of the quarter so I wasnt sure on the converter slip % but I think it was around 5200 unlocked. Powerlogger/laptop died before the end of the night last night. Wideband is an lc1

Attachments

• 2ndrun 4-14-12.dat
    409 KB · Views: 90
Thank you for the responses. Been having trouble getting boost in first gear to go above 21-22lbs. During 1st gear it goes rich, all the way to 10.0 on the wideband, once into 2nd it levels out around 10.7-10.8a/f. So i'm sure i'm leaving some on the table the first 1/8th. The boost does creep up to 23-24lbs by the end of the quarter so pacecarta your post explains that to me. Still have work to do the first 1/8th and a better boost controller. Wasnt sure what rpm I was getting to at the end of the quarter so I wasnt sure on the converter slip % but I think it was around 5200 unlocked. Powerlogger/laptop died before the end of the night last night. Wideband is an lc1

It's the extra load from the higher gear and locking the TC that causes the extra boost. I don't think this can be helped on an internal wastegate regardless of boost controller. My TT chip also exibited the same AFR issues that you are having. What chip are you running? When I switched to the Extender chip, I picked up in the 1/8 b/c my chip is now always reading WOT air flow and thus maintaining AFR even when boost rises. This is made possible with a translator though, so if you have a stock MAF, this will not solve your problem. I pickup 25+mph in the back half locking the converter but I do it manualy with a switch I throw that grounds the two pins in the aldl connection, so I lock it as soon as it hits third gear; whatever mph that is, I don't have a powerlogger and am not looking at my speedo at that moment.

I would expect that gain locking. Looks like your converter isn't very efficient unlocked. My NL 9.5" couples well enough I'm around 95-96mph on the 2-3 shift around 6200rpm with slicks with 29" designation.

Are you manually shifting or did you modify the governor?

Quik Six said:
Are you manually shifting or did you modify the governor?

The 1-2 is automatic with the mechanical trans brake. Sometimes I shift 2-3 and sometimes I don't. Governor has weight added to it.

The 1-2 is automatic with the mechanical trans brake. Sometimes I shift 2-3 and sometimes I don't. Governor has weight added to it.

Thanks for the reply.

Will manually shift 2-3 and find out where that needs to be so that RPM is around 5400 when shift is complete. Will probably have governor modded when that shift point is determined.

Making a few changes to the suspension, got the Linelock working and changed a few other things so will head to the track next Friday night.

It's the extra load from the higher gear and locking the TC that causes the extra boost. I don't think this can be helped on an internal wastegate regardless of boost controller. My TT chip also exibited the same AFR issues that you are having. What chip are you running? When I switched to the Extender chip, I picked up in the 1/8 b/c my chip is now always reading WOT air flow and thus maintaining AFR even when boost rises. This is made possible with a translator though, so if you have a stock MAF, this will not solve your problem. I pickup 25+mph in the back half locking the converter but I do it manualy with a switch I throw that grounds the two pins in the aldl connection, so I lock it as soon as it hits third gear; whatever mph that is, I don't have a powerlogger and am not looking at my speedo at that moment.

I'm running the TT 6.1 chip. I posted to him about the first gear fueling a few weeks ago. He mentioned we might redue the chip to correct that issue but I would like to try to get the boost to 25lbs solid and get some more data logs before making the change. Its still the stock maf. I was only expecting 111-112 so I wasnt sure what to make of it the other night when my slips started saying 114. I appreciate the input and explination from everybody.

Have fun. And it sounds like you are. Getting it dialed in is the most fun. My car is basically done so now I'm trying to find other people's cars to help tune. Just driving mine seems kinda boring now that it's running well. I'll keep it up anyway. Good luck and congrats on smashing your goals! There's more in it still.

Have fun. And it sounds like you are. Getting it dialed in is the most fun. My car is basically done so now I'm trying to find other people's cars to help tune. Just driving mine seems kinda boring now that it's running well. I'll keep it up anyway. Good luck and congrats on smashing your goals! There's more in it still.

That attitude will end the next time you get your ass kicked on the street.:)

That attitude will end the next time you get your ass kicked on the street.:)

I can go faster on the street just by running Mickeys all the time but I don't want to do that as I like being able to hit rain and such. Basically, more power isn't going to make my car much faster in a street race unless it starts from a 60mph roll or something. I could go faster by removing my front swaybar and running skinny/light rims up front but that's just not my thing. Corners are too fun for me to do that, so in street trim, I think it makes about as much power as I can put down. To each their own though. And I'm a good loser when the time does come.

Good place to be if you can stay there. Car should last a long time and your wallet will have more money in it.:)

Driving the car to the track next Friday night to see if the new parts and a few fixes/tweaks will get the car into the 10.0's on 93 and alky at no more that 24#'s . That's the limit I've set for that tune which will last until "The Greed for Speed" kicks in and we'll have to see what it will do with C16 and 30#'s of boost. If that is not fast enough, it'll be time to get a race car.

Good luck! I must admit the thought of a 6262 and and high 10sec run does cross my brain from time to time... Good luck with your runs!

Ran 10.37 @ 131.88 on last run last Friday night picking up 27.2 MPH on last half. 60' sucked at 1.58 and I had not removed any weight from the car. Waiting for some tuning guidance from the chip maker. Rear end was damaged on one of the last 2 runs but still managed to get me home before curfew.:) Boost controller is maxxed out at 24#'s so will have to fix that.

.1 on 60' and .1 on less weight and we're about there. Told one of my "coaches" and our club director that if we got in the low teens and I couldn't get it into the 10.0's, I wanted him to drive it. He looked at me real funny and asked why. I told him because the car would be 60#'s lighter and that would make the difference. He laughed but I wasn't kidding.

3 broken teeth on the ring gear; 2 side by side and 1 on the opposite side of the carrier.

Parts will be here on Thursday and installed on Friday. Car will get the weekend off from racing but will get some non-racing miles.

Will go to the track on the 2nd weekend of June and see how it does.