Motor won't rev over 5200-5300rpm... WTF???

hey yullose is this true? did it turn out to be electrical? can you update if your still around.
so many rev limiter symptom threads going back to early 2000 to 2010 are left off without any updates. I am also chasing a similar gremlin. Like with some the problem persists even with different motor and trans.
A few things still on the list to try is extra ground, tps, crank sensor adjustment.....datalogging showed no dips in what sensors are viewable in PL.
Try plug wires!

old thread .. Art sold that car and hasnt been logged in for over two years
it wasnt electrical
it was due to a set of springs that were spec'd to be on his new heads and he even had a blueprint sheet with the springs pressures for each cylinder so he didnt check them till last , upon testing he found that the springs were inadequate for the cam and the sheet was all BS .. new set of proper spec springs and all was good

Last edited:
I have his exact issue going on right now, same heads, virtually the same cam profile. Did the Beehive 26120 end up working on the TA heads?

Im having the exact same issue and my build sheet from TA shows the wrong springs were installed. They aren't opened today but will be calling and speaking with Mike about it as well as pulling a few springs and testing them. @yullose Can you tell us if it finally revved clean? THX

Im having the exact same issue and my build sheet from TA shows the wrong springs were installed. They aren't opened today but will be calling and speaking with Mike about it as well as pulling a few springs and testing them. @yullose Can you tell us if it finally revved clean? THX
What springs were installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@pacecarta you must know the guy...if so you got the inside scoop or you just read the thread? After reading through the whole thread he said that it helped but didn't completely clear it up. Just trying to clarify that it was fixed.

@bison TA is closed today so no phone calls to be answered. I dug out my spec sheet and heres what it says is installed and after checking the part numbers on their site my sheet says TAV1125 with theses specs.
O.D. 1.385
125 lbs @ 1.900
295 lbs @ 1.400
Coil Bind 1.030
http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V1125

Acoording to TA's site they have TAV112sAL that they claim should be used with their AL SE or SI heads. I find this odd as one would think they would have the ones for the Alum heads would have a higher over the nose psi.
TAV112sAL specs
O.D. 1.385
125 lbs @ 1.900
275 lbs @ 1.400
Coil Bind 1.060
http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V1125AL

Sheets show that my seat lbs is 145@1.815 and 375 @1.235 w/ coil bind @ 1.030 w/ .045 locators and no shims used. Installed height is from 1.814 at the lowest and 1.823 the highest. So from .086 to .077 tighter install heights from their advertised 1.9 height at 125 lbs to the shimmed install heights I posted and gained 20 lbs on the seat. HMM now that they have ran for a bit and weakened as they always do I wonder if its enough? Cam is a DLS 210 dur 491 lift on a 114+2 cl with 1.65 T&D rockers Morel lifters and trend pushrods. Pushrods are the correct length and I have .028- .030 preload per Morels instructions with Iron block and alum heads.

Last edited:
I don't know what those part numbers are. I wouldn't even waste my time doing anything till I checked every installed height and then measures the springs at that height.

Update....issue fixed so far. Upgraded the inner springs with the inners from ta 1160 springs and shimmed .050 to increase spring pressure. Test runs tonight rev clean to 6000 and took even to 6200 once. No more breaking up!! Mike at TA gave me a slight break on price for my troubles and helped me on the phone. Mike did say that he's had this happen before with DLS cams due to the aggressive ramps. Was a aggravation and cost that could have been avoided if the springs were stronger when the heads were being assembled (i bought them new). But its water under the bridge at this point.

Last edited:
Update....issue fixed so far. Upgraded the inner springs with the inners from ta 1160 springs and shimmed .050 to increase spring pressure. Test runs tonight rev clean to 6000 and took even to 6200 once. No more breaking up!! Mike at TA gave me a slight break on price for my troubles and helped me on the phone. Mike did say that he's had this happen before with DLS cams due to the aggressive ramps. Was a aggravation and cost that could have been avoided if the springs were stronger when the heads were being assembled (i bought them new). But its water under the bridge at this point.

Similar situation that I encountered with my TB when I bought mine , you remember at Richards at 2013 meet my problem . That is the reason I bought all the checkers to do my own valve springs and let my own eyes see what the hell is going on . Glad you got it straightened out because I know how you felt .

I think a lot of people are under estimating how much valve pressure is needed for roller cams.

So what were the measured pressures @height? Ive used the most aggressive lobes available and never had these problems. This should never happen if the cam data is supplied prior to ordering. Either the cam lobe #, the duration at .006", duration @ .050", duration @ .200 and the lobe lift. With this info the actual lobe number can be identified or the info can be used to select a spring that will work based on similar known lobes of similar spec. This is another reason I don't ever order heads with springs on them. No knowing what's really on there without measuring. Having the wrong springs can result in months or years of aggravation and or engine damage.

Shoulda woulda coulda at this point I supplied all my cam specs but it didn't get passed on correctly. Install heights are in the upper 1.78 range with seat loads 160ish have a little over .060 clearance for coil bind on the inner springs.

Shoulda woulda coulda at this point I supplied all my cam specs but it didn't get passed on correctly. Install heights are in the upper 1.78 range with seat loads 160ish have a little over .060 clearance for coil bind on the inner springs.
I'm still lost on the "aggressive cam" comment. Doesn't look like an aggressive one to me. If .491" gross lift its either .317" lobe lift with an assumed 1.55 rocker or .298" lift with a 1.65 ratio assumed. If it were me I'd definitely use an indicator on the pushrod to know what lobe lift I had. Just so it can be documented.

Agreed....its not aggressive thats just Mike at TA saying that hes had issues with DLS cams. My lobes are mild... Bottom line too damn weak a spring was installed even for a mild cam.

Last edited:
I have the same EXACT problem......., cam, lifters, and rockers as yullose with the SE heads. Talked to Tim at TA and waiting to hear back.

214/214 .548
853 lifters
1.65 jesel style
SE heads
Breaking up at 5200rpm with or without boost.

Last edited: