Moser Axles, Problem with loose wheel studs

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
I just ordered a set of the 28 spine c-clip axles to replace the stock axles (Part #A102808). Along with a set of ARP, .485 knurl press-in, 12mm x 1.5 studs (ARP-100-7710) (stock length). I just ordered them from Summit. I had a shop press the studs in, rather than beating them in, but apparently they didn't notice that some of them weren't pressed in tight. I didn't notice myself until was grabbing and shaking them around by hand right before mounting the wheels back on the car. At least 2 on one axle, and 2 or 3 on the other. I had one that literally rotated in it's bore while tightening the lug. I damn near couldn't get the lug back off but I did manage to by pulling on it while backing it off. Then I pushed the loose studs right out by hand.

I wanted to just stick with press in studs and the 12mm x 1.5 and use my existing lugs (Have Centerline wheels and McGard lugs). But it looks like I'll have to pull the axles again (after sealing up and refilling the rear already.. wonderful) and go with screw in studs. I'm pretty frustrated with this, as these were the correct studs as listed for the axles. But it appears some of the holes for press-ins were over drilled or something.

They have the threaded holes for screw ins, but I'm not even sure what size or threads they are, and don't have any bolts that fit to find out. The 12x1.5 studs start to thread in but stop. And Summit lists them as "Features 0.485 press in stud hole and optional 0.500 screw in stud feature" but .500 seems a little off. They inside diameter of the holes is 7/16. But there are no screw-in 7/16 studs available.

Has anyone else run into this? I don't know which party is to blame on this, but I'm leaning on Moser quality control, or lack thereof. Not like it matters because it's my problem now, and it's not like shipping the axles back to Summit is going to get anything done.

What i would do is go to 1/2 inch studs ghat screw in. Drill and tap the holes. I'd use red loc tite on them because I've had them back out even when using a large lock washer. You could have the studs tack welded and skip the loc tite if you wanted. You will need new lug nuts

I've been poking around for information, and it looks like what happened is the studs are not the correct knurl size. Summit listed .485 which is not right. I just found out from a friend that his were .505, and also.. JEGS has them listed as .505. So the "way to go" goes to Summit for listing incorrect information.

So I could go with screw-in's but would have to buy new lugs for the rears. Or re-order the .505 knurl studs, and just pull the axles again and press the correct size studs in.

If you have threads in the holes they are for screw in studs not press fit which could be your problem and i think most moser's take 1/2"x20 studs the ones i have do!
Chris

The axles come with both options. I stuck with the press-in, but Summit listed the wrong size.

If you have threads in the holes they are for screw in studs not press fit which could be your problem and i think most moser's take 1/2"x20 studs the ones i have do!
Chris
You have to order them this way and they are still not reliable unless un-threaded and permanent loc tited or welded in place.