Moser 9" Problems...

'86 455 Regal

Certified Buick NUT!
Hi Guys,

I have a Moser 9" "Bolt-in" set-up that I finally got together and under the car last night. Problem(s) is for one the upper "ears" are angled several degrees outward and not totally in line with the UCA's but was still able to get the bolts in. Lowers went right in with a little "rolling" of the rear but I know that's usual. UCA are HR Parts Street/Strip ADJ & LCA's are HR Parts also standard length. Once it was bolted up the shock stud in the lower bracket was in a crazy up by probably 30* situation while the shock is at a totally different angle and stud should be in a "down" angle to match to install. So....I though MAYBE I could extend the uppers and "roll" it enough to "correct" that to lower the stud. Once I did the uppers are SO LONG and the the pinion angle is in a ridiculous up angle just to get the shocks on. Now the rear binds with very little up/down articulation.

I called Moser and they want me to strip it back down ship it back so they can set it in their jig and see if they sent me the correct housing or what the problem may be. :mad:

Now that I've extended the UCA's and no longer have the stock ones to compare to....what is the original length center-to-center that they should be back at to start this process all over again once I get things corrected? I lost count of how many turns I made in an attempt to correct these other problems. :rolleyes:

Suggestions PLEASE?!?!? :confused:

Thank you... :)

BTW...An upside is that...it's certainly nice to have a lift to do all this! :D

Can u post a pic so that I can compare it to mine. Moser has always had these bushing locations in the wrong place. The 9in center is taller than a 8.5. So instead of trying to correct the situation , then aggravate it further by making the bushing brackets even taller. I can tell you that they have been approached by other well known suspension designers about the issue.....all they got in return was a blank stare..

Hi Louie,

Thanks for responding! I'll try and get out to the shop and get some pic's before I remove it. Moser said I should also send them pic's so they can see EXACTLY what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Need to get it stripped back down and on it's way back to them. I made the mistake of trusting it was correct as I also have their 9" under my '70 GS455 4-speed convertible with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with it. It's been under there since about '95 and I love it! So I didn't think there would be a minutes worth of trouble with thei G-Body one either. So I went ahead and welded HR Parts' brackets for the Super Sway bar in position after having to drill bolt holes for each thru the brace then had it powdercoated. So if they determine that it was indeed the wrong housing or the brackets are wrong or welded on wrong and can be corrected I'll still need to re-coat it again. Guess the joke was on me...TEST FIT ALWAYS BEFORE HAND! :frown:

I bought a Moser 9" for my Monte about 8 years ago and I had the same problem with the shock studs. I called them about it back then and they acted like they knew nothing about it. I was able to get the shocks on but not able to completely tighten the bolts. It seemed to work okay but it always bothered me.

Sounds like you got the A-Body 12-bolt version of their 9" rearend.
The A-Body 12-bolts have different lateral angles than the G-body rearends.

Kevin

Hi Guys,

Here's link to what I did to resolve problem....will find out if I "nailed it" or not later tonight!

MalibuRacing.com Message Boards • View topic - Moser 9" "Bolt-in" Rear for G-Body ???

'Louie'....I got those pic's for you but have yet to download to my computer. If you PM me and let me have your e-mail address I can send them directly to you or I can post here I guess if you prefer.

'Illegal Regal'....Thanks, I went back, reset them, then set pinion angle 3* down and went from there!

'monteperformanc'....You WILL DEFINATELY want to click on above link to find out how I solved this situation!

'xcessiv'....Once I returned everything back and set pinion angle, mounts are fine. Those upper ears move outward when excessively "rolled-back", hence the misalignment. Lower mounts are EITHER incorrectly stamped for shock-stud angle OR...wrong lower mount used OR...correct mount but welded on in incorrect position. I've yet to "nail" the correct answer to this question. Truthfully I only want to fix it and it work correctly.

'KEVINS'...That's what I thought was a very likely possibility since I first encountered it BUT when I called Moser and they "looked-up" my invoice they said that was not possible. :rolleyes: BUT after that, as I said above, once I returned adj UCA back and set pinion 3* down the upper ears & arms "fell back into line". BTW....have you given anymore thought about selling me just your "buckets" that I e-mailed you about last week? I CAN MAKE THEM WORK with what I have! :biggrin: You can PM or e-mail me directly back if you choose not to answer here. Thank You...:)