More fun at sea!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
The squids on this board probably remember: "All hands standby while coming about!"

A fast Cruiser in a heavy turn. Damn those were some fun days!

Attachments

• cg64 gettysburb.jpg
    cg64 gettysburb.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 502
She was in a hard starboard turn at 30 knots, and threw her rudders to port to reverse the turn, which heeled her over to port even harder!! :eek: Part of sea trials testing.

Boy what memories...was on Richmond K Turner CG20 (Lehey class) from 89-93. It was a top heavy SOB!

During the Cuban crises we were in the Med.I was on the flight deck.There was a Russian trawler coming straight for us.Got so close that Captain Miller ordered a hard port.Never in my life did I think that a carrier could turn that hard.I thought that she was going over on her side or I was going to slide off the deck.The good ole days.

Boy what memories...was on Richmond K Turner CG20 (Lehey class) from 89-93. It was a top heavy SOB!

Ya, she had beautiful lines. Unfortunately, sunk as a target off Puerto Rico in 1998. :mad:

Attachments

• cg20_1.jpg
    cg20_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 401
Speaking of "top heavy", what about the "tall ladies" of the Albany class! :eek:

Attachments

• cg10_8.jpg
    cg10_8.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 380
Even the "big ones" can have fun testing high speed turns!

Attachments

• cvn74_4.jpg
    cvn74_4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 361
How much does it cost in Fuel for a fun day like that ? $50,000 ?

Are you talking about the Carrier? $ 0. It's nuclear powered. ALL of our Carriers now are. All the fossil fueled carriers have been decommissioned.

Sure got goose bumps on the carrier picture.Pretty sure the list was more than that one.We had to get out of the way in a hurry.

Sure got goose bumps on the carrier picture.Pretty sure the list was more than that one.We had to get out of the way in a hurry.

You must be even older than me, talking about the Cuban missle crisis and all. What ships have you served on?

Ahhhh, Good ole F.D.R.

Attachments

• cv42_7.jpg
    cv42_7.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 333
Ya, she had beautiful lines. Unfortunately, sunk as a target off Puerto Rico in 1998. :mad:

Yea, saw some pics of it after taking a couple missle hits and it was kinda bone chilling seeing a hole in the side that would have been real close to "Fox" berthing. Seeing any ship sink now gives me pause...guess that is what happens when you live on a ship that long.

Ship pics never get old. Post away Senior!

I have access to thousands of ship photos, so if anyone wants a particular ship pictured, or remembers their previous commands or a ship a family member served aboard just let me know, If I can find it, I'll post it up!!
It's hard finding heavy weather shots, simply because when the weather was really bad, we were made to stay inside, for obvious reasons.

As an example, I'll post of a picture of each of the ships I was aboard during my Navy career, and I'll try and get them in order. ;)

My first ship: USS America (CV-66)

Attachments

• uss america cv66_12.jpg
    uss america cv66_12.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 229