More fun at sea!

Then came USS Wasp (CVS-18)

Attachments

• cv18_7.jpg
    cv18_7.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 221
At this point my first enlistment was up, and I was disallusioned with the Navy as it seemed I was going to be stuck with nothing but carriers, so I got out.

Spent 2 years back in WI as a civilian, and finally decided I missed the sea more than I thought I might. I was incredibly lucky to get back in and not loose rank or rate. I was then assigned to my next ship.
By now I'm an RD3.

USS Ouellet (FF-1077)

Attachments

• uss oullet ff1077_1.jpg
    uss oullet ff1077_1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 220
Next went to A school to get my EW (electronic warfare) (52 week school) rating.

I made EW1 aboard

I was then sent to my next ship: USS Ponce (LPD-15) welcome to the gator navy.

Attachments

• uss ponce lpd15_8.jpg
    uss ponce lpd15_8.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 229
  • uss ponce lpd15_6.jpg
    uss ponce lpd15_6.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 218
After my tour aboard Ponce, I was sent to EW "A" school in Pensacola FL for a tour of instructor duty. After leaving that command I was sent to my next sea tour.

Next ship: USS California (CGN-36)

Made EWC aboard so had to be transfered because there already was an EWC aboard.

Attachments

• uss california cgn36_8.jpg
    uss california cgn36_8.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 215
I then went back to EW "C" school for some advanced equipment training (new AN/SLQ-32 system).
From there sent to my next sea command: USS Briscoe (DD-977)

Attachments

• uss briscoe dd977_3.jpg
    uss briscoe dd977_3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 211
After a couple years aboard Briscoe, I then transfered to my next sea command.

USS Conolly (DD-979)

After a couple years on Conolly, I finally was lucky enough to get a couple tours on shore commands; Fleet Training Unit Atlantic, and finally (where I made Senior Chief and eventually retired) Fleet Deception Group Atlantic.
Yes, my rate EW was a sea going rate for sure!! But I wouldn't have traded any part of it. Life at sea is not as arduous as one might expect.

Sorry for boring everybody!!

Attachments

• uss conolly dd979_3.jpg
    uss conolly dd979_3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 218
  • uss conolly dd979pic2.jpg
    uss conolly dd979pic2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 203
Not boring at all, I could look at this stuff all day! We always said the EW stood for "Eternally Waterbound"! Funny thing about the SLQ-32 being a "new system" at the time... It is probably still the save version used today as you trained on back then! :)

Here's a little something that may or may not prove interesting. Life at sea isn't always peaches and cream.
Example: USS Belknap (CG-26) when she collided with the JFK.

In 1975, USS JOHN F. KENNEDY (CV 67) and USS BELKNAP collide in rough seas at night during air exercises east of Sicily. The overhanging flight deck of the carrier cuts into the superstructure of the cruiser setting off fires on the BELKNAP which are not controlled for two-and-one-half hours on account of frequent flarebacks.

Because of the presence of nuclear weapons on board both ships the commander of Carrier Striking Forces for the Sixth Fleet sent a secret nuclear weapons accident message (a "Broken Arrow") to the Pentagon, warning of the "high probability that nuclear weapons aboard the BELKNAP (W45 Terrier missile warheads) were involved in fire and explosion but there were no direct communications with the BELKNAP at that time and no positive indications that explosions were directly related to nuclear weapons. An hour after the Broken Arrow message was sent the USS CLAUDE V. RICKETTS (DDG 5), alongside the BELKNAP fighting the fire, reported that BELKNAP personnel said "no radiation hazard exists aboard".

Seven people aboard BELKNAP and one aboard the KENNEDY are killed. The sailor aboard the KENNEDY died from smoke inhalation when he entered a smoke filled compartment without an OBA. Both ships got assistance from other ships: BELKNAP had three other ships helping her and the JFK had one.

The BELKNAP suffers serious damage, is put out of commission, and towed back to the US to effect repairs lasting four years. BELKNAP's destroyed superstructures were rebuilt at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard from 1978-80. BELKNAP rejoind the fleet in 1980.

Smaller fires and other damage aboard USS KENNEDY are quickly contained and the carrier continues operations.

Here's what she looked like in before:

cg26_5.jpg
cg26_7.jpg

But then:
cg26-9.jpg

cg26-8.jpg

cg26acc2.jpg

Though essentially intact up to the weather deck, her aluminum superstructure burned and melted; this significantly influenced the decision to build the Arleigh Burke-class DDGs with steel superstructures.

Then she was rebuilt and returned to the fleet in 1980:

Attachments

• cg26-1980.jpg
    cg26-1980.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 197
Damage to the JFK at the time.

Attachments

• jfk.jpg
    jfk.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 189
  • jfk-1.jpg
    jfk-1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 186
  • jfk-2.jpg
    jfk-2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 189
Any Oliver Hazard Perry class FFG sailors out there on the the board??? Got a question.

I notice when veiwing pix of varioius ships in the class (ones that are still active) that many of them still have their MK 13 missle launchers intact.
Yet viewing several others that sometime later in their careers that MK 13 missle launcher has been removed. :confused:

Yet they are still classified as FFG's The only offensive armament still aboard is their 3"50, and one defensive weapon, Phalanx.

The first picture shows the launcher, forward, intact.
The second and third pics show the launcher gone.
The fourth pic shows a bushmaster 25mm gun mounted over the old missle barbette.

Attachments

• ffg 33.jpg
    ffg 33.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 106
  • ffg49.jpg
    ffg49.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 105
  • FFG52.jpg
    FFG52.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ffg60_8.jpg
    ffg60_8.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 103
Strange, maybe due to being FFT's now. I rode FFG16 Sprauge(decom'd) and FFG28 Boone. 76mm Otto Melara isn't much of an offensive weapon (my last NEC) but you make up for lack of punch with VOLUME! Easy system to maintain, unlike 5/54 MK 42 Mods 9/10.(FF1059 and DDG42)(still my favorite system).

Strange, maybe due to being FFT's now. I rode FFG16 Sprauge(decom'd) and FFG28 Boone. 76mm Otto Melara isn't much of an offensive weapon (my last NEC) but you make up for lack of punch with VOLUME! Easy system to maintain, unlike 5/54 MK 42 Mods 9/10.(FF1059 and DDG42)(still my favorite system).

FFT's ?? I've never heard that designation. Can't find reference to it.

FYI:
Sprague is in the Turkish Navy as F-490
Boone is part of the NRF in Mayport.
W.S.Sims was granted to Turkey as a spare parts hulk.
Mahan was scrapped by Metro Machine.

I know what you mean about the MK42's.
We sure put the one we had on FF-1077 to good use while on the gun line in Vietnam. Fired so many rounds through it we had to have it re-gunned twice while over there. It was especially gratifying however, when we put it to use in "counter battery" fire (shooting back at shore batteries firing at us).

There are no more (MK 42's) in commission. All modern 5" gun ships are sporting the 5/54 Mk45. And the newest DDG's have the new 5/62 MK45.