More flow=more hp right?

Josh Beacock

Just a quick question,advice etc i currently have the pypes system exhaust with pypes violater mufflers will changing to dynomax ultra flows make an increase in hp and if so will I be able to notice the change? Also man there are some mean sounding grand nationals I can't figure out how to get that soun... I know dumb question I'm just curious thanks for any help

The violators are straight through, so no difference. The more power these cars make, the meaner they sound under boost. IMO, at the 10 sec level they start sounding good, not just a 6 cyl missing a muffler.

Post a YouTube link to a car you like the sound of. Chances are we know the owner and combo.

More flow only means more power if the engine was restricted by the prior flow.

Violators are not straight through, they are chambered if I remember correctly. The Pypes Race Pro's are straight through, most guys order them when getting the Pypes kit. I have the Race Pro's and they sound good, but if you're looking for a mean sounding car buy a Mustang, these cars dont really sound "mean". You can always put a cutout on it, but that honestly just makes it sound obnoxious, not good.

87gninpa said:
Violators are not straight through, they are chambered if I remember correctly. The Pypes Race Pro's are straight through, most guys order them when getting the Pypes kit. I have the Race Pro's and they sound good, but if you're looking for a mean sounding car buy a Mustang, these cars dont really sound "mean". You can always put a cutout on it, but that honestly just makes it sound obnoxious, not good.

Violaters are straight through according to pypes they flow just as much as race pros but are louder. I had the race pros too but am looking for something more aggressive and no I'd never buy a mustang they're shit. Thanks for the advice though I've had a cutout and removed it as well not too long after lol.

I stand corrected, sorry about that. I doubt you would see any increase in power switching to Ultra Flows then. Mustangs may be "shit", but they still sound better than TR's.

Once they get over 400hp or in that range is when turbo Buicks start to sound ROWDY. I have also always been a fan of 3" single exhausts with ATR pitbull mufflers. Still my favorite exhaust

Just saw this on YouTube, SLP LoudMouth mufflers. They usually sound obnoxious on Camaro's/Mustangs, but they sound pretty decent on this GN:

Keep whatever mufflers you have and buy an electric dump if you want a power increase from your exhaust. Just open it whenever you want loud free flowing power.

bison said:
More flow only means more power if the engine was restricted by the prior flow.

My thoughts exactly, but you beat me to it.

87gninpa said:
I stand corrected, sorry about that. I doubt you would see any increase in power switching to Ultra Flows then. Mustangs may be "shit", but they still sound better than TR's.

Hahaha...that's what I'm concerned with...wether or not my car sounds better then a Mustang. They sound real good at the traffic light...after that...I can't hear them anymore.
We can't do alot about how our cars sound, but most everyone is scared to find out how they run.

Instead of trying to make mine sound "kewl" I made it so it can't be heard!

Three mufflers and little/no back pressure allow mine to sound as quiet as a Caddy but carry a big can of whoop-a$$. VERY DECEIVING and no argument when I light them up at 60mph..

ks

Yep the 10 second and faster cars have a different sound. I think alot of it has to do with us using single shot exhaust.

87gninpa said:

Definitely have a differing opinion about this. TR's sound so much better than any mustang. When have you ever heard of a v6 that's sounds like an 8 cylinder muscle car?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

i have owned gn,t type,tta,and 5.0 mustangs.i think you can get a real mean tone out of a mustang over a turbo 6.i have dynomax ultra flow race bullet mufflers and a 3.5 thdp on my gn and i dont like how it sounds.on a mustang them mufflers sound real good.not to dis are cars but that is my opinion.

I like the sound of the ultraflow, but I haven't been around many cars other than mine. not all that bad on the highway either...

granted my truck is louder than either of my cars, so I guess I'm used to drone.

EDIT: here's a vid with the dumped ultraflow on a 3" single shot...

I love the way the pitbull mufflers sound on turbo buicks. Would like to find another muffler with a similar sound or louder idle but haven't yet.