Moog offset cross shafts

alwaysneedmore

Ok, so I just finished installing all the parts I bought for the 12" rotor, using GW arms. The Moog cross shaft that was installed on the arms said "wheel side".
I took the car into the alignment shop where they spent the better part of a day working on it trying to get it set up.

They told (and showed) me that they couldn't get the caster (or camber) to the numbers I gave them because they ran out of bolt on the one cross shaft, and there's a huge stack of shims.
Does this mean that those Moog shafts should be rotated 180 to get rid of the shims?

Please help.

Nathan

You must be dealing with a shop full of monkeys if they can't figure out offset cross shafts. There are two choices: big stack of shims or smaller stack of shims.

I would hate to see them trying to figure out how to turn on a light switch: "If its off, and I want it on, what do I do?"

:rolleyes:

What numbers were you looking for?

I suppose that's partly my fault (for assuming they'd fiugre it out). I didn't mention that the shafts were offset cross shafts. :eek:

The numbers I was trying for were

0.25 - 0.5 deg negative camber
4 deg caster
1/16 total toe

Nothing too wild: the car is mostly street driven, and I know it goes better in a straight line.

How much offset does the cross shaft give? Half an inch?

Thanks,
Nathan

Your numbers are good. I can't believe they can't get them. Offset shafts should make it easier, not harder.

OK, Just finished putting all the big brake stuff on and wanted to be sure that I have these cross shafts on right before I take it to the front end shop. I have the wheel side facing in toward the engine. In other words the wheel side is not facing the wheel. This seemed like the only way to do it if the offset shafts were supposed to reduce shims needed to align.

If any of you has been there and done that please let me know wether I am right or I have to spin the shaft.

TIA

When I did my car I took it in to the alignment shop, and like a weiner, only mentioned that the car had the offset cross shafts. They were facing wheel side out.
The guy worked on the car for quite a while, didn't turn the shafts, and I have a huge stack of shims on the right, and an ok amount on the left. I need to flip the right side and have the alignment redone.
Moral of the story: make sure the guy doing the alignment knows about the offset shafts and how to use them because the shafts could end up either way. I think you're best to go in with the shafts flipped the way you have them now.

HTH
Nathan

Perfect, Thanks Nathan. I read your previous post last night but was unsure which way you had them installed at first. I will leave them like they are and hope for the best.

Thanks again :)