Monte SS conversion. Anyone have good pictures / tips on doing this?

phillyturbosix

Staff member
I have a friend who may be converting his Monte SS into a turbo six drive train. I did some searching around on the net and didn't find to much as far as pictures. Anyone have some pictures and or tips on doing this type of conversion. Seems pretty straight forward for the most part. He is getting tired of Honda's beating him all the time so he's gonna take the turbo six plunge! That ill learn those Hondas! Thanks for any input! :cool:

Sent you an e-mail with lots of pics. Not a hard conversion to do, need to run power to a GN gastank, power to injectors, change some wiring to use the Monte dash, v6 motor mounts. I have the car for sale for $9,900.00 Is in beautiful shape.

Hey thanks! I just sent it all to my friend. Really beautiful car you have there! Very nice clean job! I did'nt know you could use the monte dash. I'm sure my friend will have allot of questions for ya! Thanks again! :cool:

Thanks for the compliment, send me your friends mailing address and I will send him a 6 or 7 page set of notes I did when I planned the conversion. Kind of confusing unless you have wiring diagrams for both cars. My car never had air, so that is one thing I didn't have to worry about. The 7.5 rear lasted quite a while, even running low 11's. When I took it out to put in the 8.5 with new Eaton posi, 4 teeth had inch long pieces missing off of the ring gear. Glad I changed it! You can e-mail me his address to: davidsg@nationwide.com I would be happy to help him as much as I can. He can call me anytime and discuss the conversion. I am leaving Sunday for vacation and will not be back till the following Sunday. You really have some nice cars!

How many miles did you have on that rear end? I have a 7.5 and have a small block with about 400-450 hp and was thinking about just throwing a spool in there, do you think I should go for it or can they really not handle that much? It is pretty much going to be a drag strip car until I can get rid of it and get a TR

jashell1562 said:
Could you guys help me out also. I am doing a similar swap in to a malibu wagon , could you send me the pics and notes also , thanks

My email is Jashell@charter.net

Thanks
I don't have as many notes as TurboMonteSS, but I have a few that are wagon related. go to my site turbo6.com, and click on wagon conversion pages. Watch out or you'll get hit in the head with a dozen or so popups.

junction34

If you have any questions on converting over from hot air to intercooled that havent been answered , feel free to e mail me direct. Ive converted over a few hot air cars to the 86-87 set up. My e mail is Fortune628@aol.com .

TurboMonteSS said:
Thanks for the compliment, send me your friends mailing address and I will send him a 6 or 7 page set of notes I did when I planned the conversion. Kind of confusing unless you have wiring diagrams for both cars. My car never had air, so that is one thing I didn't have to worry about. The 7.5 rear lasted quite a while, even running low 11's. When I took it out to put in the 8.5 with new Eaton posi, 4 teeth had inch long pieces missing off of the ring gear. Glad I changed it! You can e-mail me his address to: davidsg@nationwide.com I would be happy to help him as much as I can. He can call me anytime and discuss the conversion. I am leaving Sunday for vacation and will not be back till the following Sunday. You really have some nice cars!

Question? Did you use the Monte Carlo Tranny? Please send me the pix/notes also to cwmccray_jr@yahoo.com. I am shocked the 7.5 lasted into the low 11's.

Thanks

The rearend held up for a long time, it had Moser 28 spline axles and a new posi. Remember, no real hard shock off the line and no clutch. The Camaros had this rearend. I swapped in the engine and GN transmission at the same time. My 84 SS had a Turbo 350 trans. I had to change the crossmember to hold the 200R4. I will send info to you. Notes will be next week, as they are at home.