Moisture leak from header/turbo seal

Maltman

Well, weather is finally starting to feel somewhat better here in Michigan, so I had to pull the car out and start it.

A bad thing happened that my brother was "fortunately" standing by the front of the car....oil filter gasket for relocation kit "popped" off and oil literally pumped out onto the ground...nice 2 quart mess by the time I had it shut off! :mad:

Could've been much worse....however, I noticed that moisture was dripping from the seal between the turbo and the header (no gasket...but permatexed). I know the moisture is normal, but I'm under the impression that we shouldn't see "any" leaks whether it be gas or liquid...and it would seem liquid would indicate a fairly large area to leak out of.

Anyway, do I need to worry about this for performance....and if so...how the heck do you go about fixing the sealing surface? I tried gaskets before to no gain...any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you used a copper gasket there in the past, then you must always use one because the dog ears get bent down ever so slightly and will cause it to never seal good again. You could also resurface them flat. I little leak of moisture there is normal, its just condensation in the headers. As long as you can't feel a big burst of exhause pressure coming out of it at idle, you should be ok.

K..thanks....I'll have to double check for pulses the next time I run the car.

...I did use a copper gasket in the past...but for the stock turbo and the current header....so I'm hoping that it didnt' screw up the header.

i think these small leaks seal themselves up when exhaust is up to temp. next time you have it apart, look for black marks on the flange surfaces. should see imprint from the opposing surface, if you see any trails away from sealing surface you have an exhaust leak.