Modify 5.25 CSII to fit 6.5 speakers

SPOOLN6

Modify 5.25 CSII cutouts to fit 6.5 speakers. Has anyone tried doing this and been successful? I wonder if you can modify the cutout, slap the 6.5 flush, and utilize the CSII grill to overlap 6.5? I decided to pass up on the Q-logic Kick Panels option and now stuck w Alpine SPX-177a 6.5 components. Yes I know old skool, discontinued model, but brand new in box. Any help appreciated. Thx :confused:

The actual plastic cup that holds the 5 1/4" can't be modified enough (without pratically rebuilding) to hold a 6 1/2", so it's just easier to build that spacer new. The CSII panel on the door panel can be modified to work, but again it's easier to build a new panel. It can be done to keep a factory look, but you need to use a shallow mounting depth woofer to keep it from looking non-factory. With your questions, I assume that's the look you're going for. Pass some more info on your goals and I'm sure others will chime in also.
John

Here's mine. Could be prettier but I don't care.

DSCF0572-1.jpg

DSCF0573-1.jpg

DSCF0574-1.jpg

I dont think I would do it on my car, but you can easily build a pod to replace the CSII pod, that would fit a set of 6" speakers. The factory CSII pod is not big enough. At least not for a nice beefy set of 6" speakers. Sorry GNTurbo6, but in my line of work your setup is a hack job-no offense.

I dont think I would do it on my car, but you can easily build a pod to replace the CSII pod, that would fit a set of 6" speakers. The factory CSII pod is not big enough. At least not for a nice beefy set of 6" speakers. Sorry GNTurbo6, but in my line of work your setup is a hack job-no offense.

None taken. If I wanted it to be pretty I'd have fiber glassed it but that's a lot of effort. Then again if I wanted it to be pretty, I wouldn't have bought a Grand National :)