Milli Volt readings

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Ok Guys on our 86 T that is set at 16lbs of boost at WOT in first gear I have zero knock and the MV is low 700s , like 710 to 720 and for granted at WOT in first gear the tires are spinning so its really no load on the engine NOW in 3rd gear at WOT I'm getting very little knock but my MV are 800 plus , 810 to 820 . I know 780 ish is where we want it SO do I add fuel thru my scanmaster in 1st gear and take fuel away in 3rd gear ? As always Thank you Guys for the help

Needs fuel in first, and less in third. Does your chip allow adjusting the different gears?

MAF calibration may be suspect. Playing with the fuel can be done but it's likely a bandaid.

Ok Guys on our 86 T that is set at 16lbs of boost at WOT in first gear I have zero knock and the MV is low 700s , like 710 to 720 and for granted at WOT in first gear the tires are spinning so its really no load on the engine NOW in 3rd gear at WOT I'm getting very little knock but my MV are 800 plus , 810 to 820 . I know 780 ish is where we want it SO do I add fuel thru my scanmaster in 1st gear and take fuel away in 3rd gear ? As always Thank you Guys for the help
You can adjust the curve with 1st and 3rd gear tuning,however,you need to stop trying to target what you think is the mv you should be at.the car will tell you when it lites the knock sensor or if your looking at plugs to actually see what happening.if you want a certain boost level,let's say a little higher with low octane you need to pull timing.for instance tuning the car for say 20psi on pump 93 with 800 mv means you have volume,but if your seeing knock this means you need more octane at this 20psi with x amount of timing.if you see 2 degrees of knock at 810mv and 20psi/21degrees of timing it means you need more octane with that timing and boost level or you can pull those 2 degrees out that hit the knock gauge buy reducing the timing to say 18/19 degrees.there is a point that octane is needed when you push cylinder pressure/boost and reducing timing and getting a better intercooler will only go so far.

In the "old days", the lowest number we wanted to see was 775 mv on the Scanmaster.
I remember those days when there was no ethanol and pump 94 octane:)without ethanol you could lean it down to that,but 93 with a highly questionable amount of 93/ethanol base ghost knock will present itself.

I have a TT chip so I can add and subtract fuel but it was such a differance in the low 700 to low 800
On pump gas 93,I add timing in the low gears and pull it back in the high gears.there is low load in the low gears due to the aggressive torque of the trans gears of 2.74 and 1.57 and low wind resistance, and as load increases with 1.1 and wind resistance picks up and intake charge temps starts to build I decrease and add fuel.

I remember those days when there was no ethanol and pump 94 octane:)without ethanol you could lean it down to that,but 93 with a highly questionable amount of 93/ethanol base ghost knock will present itself.

We didn't have Grand Nationals before Jimmy Carter put ethanol in gasoline.

I know 780 is spot on with no knock at WOT , just wanting to know why my numbers is so off and how to fix the problem .

Best bet is to get a Powerlogger. As Russ Merritt told me the other night, data is king. ;)