Methanol Injection Kit

grandnash84

im planning to instal a Methanol Injection Kit in my gn. does it matter what brand i get? does all the kits work the same? whats the difference between a $500
compared to a $300 if they have the same equipment? whats the difference between this kit Snow Performance Stage 2 Water Methanol Injection Kit - eBay (item 120737812634 end time Aug-13-11 11:52:07 PDT) or this one water methanol alcohol injection trunkmount kit! NEW - eBay (item 120710105037 end time Aug-08-11 05:36:17 PDT) performance wise? will they work the same? any help is greatly appreciated!

What is the difference between all these brands? Is it jus the name and personal preference? I dont want to have to fork out more money than I have to, but if performance is compromised on cheapier kits I have no problem buying a more expensive one.

Razor and Alkycontrol are the same. http://alkycontrol.com/

Is your car really an 84? Does it have the original 84 non-intercooled engine. You should call Razor/Julio and speak with him. Then call the other places and speak with them. After that, decide who you think will offer the best support and best product for your car. I already know the answer...

Is your car really an 84? Does it have the original 84 non-intercooled engine. You should call Razor/Julio and speak with him. Then call the other places and speak with them. After that, decide who you think will offer the best support and best product for your car. I already know the answer...

Great advice. Julio is very personable, offers great support at ANY time, and has a killer product. See how many other alky vendors will give you the # to their cell phone, and accept calls most anytime. As if his kit wasn't enough for the few extra bucks (which, it is without a doubt) the support is.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I converted to an 87 setup. I spent a lot of money doing so, that's why I wanna know if it's worth it to spend more money for a better kit. If a cheap kit works the same as an expensive kit then I don't want to spend the extra money. But if it matters, I would want to spend the money for an more expensive kit. Excuse my ignorance, Im not that mechanically inclined. Thx

Excuse my ignorance, Im not that mechanically inclined.

This is why you need to deal with Julio (Razor on the board), he knows every part on your GN and can troubleshoot over the phone. This is priceless when they're problems you have no clue about and he knows from your description 1500 miles away.

So you know I'm objective, I have an Alkycontrol kit in my GN and a different kit in my Talon, Julio owns this Platform and that's great for novices like yourself. (No offense)

You really are not going to get an objective opinion from this board. The few people that have installed other kits normally won't post anything anymore cause every time they do they get shouted down by the alkycontrol supporters. Not saying there is anything wrong with alkycontrol, but there have been happy customers with the other brands as well.

I have a kit from a different company, but I haven't gotten a chance to install it yet. once I do I will post how it really all works in a new thread. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that will yell that I shoulda gone with Razor's..and maybe they will be right. But at the end I will know for sure, and from all of the research I did I think that I'm gonna be happy with the kit I have.

You really are not going to get an objective opinion from this board.
Huh, I posted before you saying I have a different kit on another car and have Alkycontrol on my GN. I've actually installed two different Alky kits, I'm objective.

I don't get your post, you're already bashing members with positive experiences and you haven't installed your alky kit yet from Brand X to say if it's better or their customer service was awesome etc???:confused:

I kinda got the feeling that members here are biased with alkycontrol. Can't blame anyone for not wanting to get flammed.

Buy whatever your comfortable with money wise, spraying methanol through any system will work fine and unless your shooting for low 11s / high 10s the delivery system will make little difference. I have seen all kinds, including home made and they all worked at preventing knock properly. You can get more tech support from Razors from people on the board.

But no race parts from anywhere come with much of a warranty, so in the end it depends on what you want to spend.

Problem I quickly see with Cooling mist is you have no in car controller, no light to tell you that you are spraying, very important. You get the largest meth tank with Razors kit that I have seen.

More bells and whistles always cost more.

Ok well take if from me then, I've got two INSTALLED Alky kits of different brands on my GN (Alkycontrol as the Post-Turbo and Devils Own as the Pre-Turbo). Since you're a first time installer, Julio can help you install it over the phone in detail, no other Alky dealer can do that for GN's. Issues are what separate brands IMO for Platforms, getting resolutions to problems is worth every penny and more.

I would recommend DO but Julio knows GN's better than 99% of most members on this board, what Alky company can offer that detail to one platform, GN's, none. Other companies do make great kits, but once you hit a snag you're going to need help, that's why as someone who has two kits, you need the expertise of Alkycontrol as a novice Alky tuner on a GN. If you're on Alky kit #3 then it's not as huge of a deal, not your current situation though.

Think of it like this, how much would you pay to have someone solve an issue ASAP with your Alky kit when one shows up?
The shop will charge you $80 an hour to figure it out, or call Julio and it's free and quicker/accurate.
Is Ebay vendor #12 going to even answer the phone and if they do, do they even know what engine is in a GN and what wires, and where they are located, need to be utilized etc?

Aren't we actually lucky to have a Vendor who races our Platform? GN = 1984-1987 = Not growing, actually shrinking
Yet more and more now are voicing opinions of why not to use Alkycontrol due to bias? Other Alky companies have platforms they specialize in, but GN's are Julio's town, see the Mayor when you have an Alky issue.;)

BTW, Jay Carter has an Alky system too, ISAC, super long time Buick enthusiast.

i somewhat get what you guys are saying now about the alkycontrol. since it was built for the gn then it will be easier to troubleshoot and if i get stuck, there is great customer service to help me for free. but other than that, there is really no difference? since i have someone helping me if i get stuck then the best option money wise would be to get a cheaper kit. im always under the hood of my car so its nothing to check to fluid level. so besides the customer service i would get from alky control, there really is no other difference? i have no problem forking over the money for something if its worth it, but if the only differece is customer service then ill probably lean rowards a cheaper kit.

Huh, I posted before you saying I have a different kit on another car and have Alkycontrol on my GN. I've actually installed two different Alky kits, I'm objective.

I don't get your post, you're already bashing members with positive experiences and you haven't installed your alky kit yet from Brand X to say if it's better or their customer service was awesome etc???:confused:

haha! You took it personal! :)

I wasn't speaking about any specific individual, but you and I both know ALMOST ANYTIME someone asks about a kit OTHER then Razors, they get bashed and told 'oh no way that kit will be any good'....yet somehow homemade kits work great for lots of people (that's what my dad ran in his TR) and all these other makers have pretty strong backing as well.

I have had very long and detailed converstations with David from Cooling Mist. He knows a LOT about these cars as well. As much as Julio? I don't know. Is his kit better? I don't know.

I simply pointed out the bias on this site. If you disagree the you do. Congrats.

One minute you have two different kits on two different cars....

So you know I'm objective, I have an Alkycontrol kit in my GN and a different kit in my Talon,

Next you have two different kits on ONE car????

Ok well take if from me then, I've got two INSTALLED Alky kits of different brands on my GN (Alkycontrol as the Post-Turbo and Devils Own as the Pre-Turbo).

Hmmm...something smells rotten in Denmark ;)

i somewhat get what you guys are saying now about the alkycontrol. since it was built for the gn then it will be easier to troubleshoot and if i get stuck, there is great customer service to help me for free. but other than that, there is really no difference? since i have someone helping me if i get stuck then the best option money wise would be to get a cheaper kit. im always under the hood of my car so its nothing to check to fluid level. so besides the customer service i would get from alky control, there really is no other difference? i have no problem forking over the money for something if its worth it, but if the only differece is customer service then ill probably lean rowards a cheaper kit.

well look at what the kit has .. SS lines ?? dual or single nozzle.. NOZZLE sizes... OR..Why don't you just do your own kit.. Some nylon tubing , some wiring, get a pump from a junk yard (lots of them can work), hobbs switch, and a nozzle and away ya go.. then ya don't need anyones help because you did it yourself !! :cool:

Its not just the install on where the troubleshooting comes in. Its reliabilty of the kit too..wiring..grounds..pump..controller, nozzle, etc.. work every time you step on the gas and get into boost. 6 weeks after install, 1 year, 3 or 4 years down the road..does it all still work. If you get in boost and one of those things isnt working one time, what safeguards other than knock sensor let you know their is an issue. If none well thats pretty risky.

I suggest before making your decision searching this forum and others and see what experiences people have had with different kits, especially on turbo buicks. People have pumps leak, map sensor dies, ground and wiring issues, I probably read hundreds of posts before getting my kit. Im not biased towards one kit or another, I just happened to jump on a deal on the alkycontrol kit in the classifieds. But I considered a lot of other kits and even diy. Personally, I would really like to give the ISAC controller a shot, but havent had the extra $ to spend yet.

I can tell you 6 weeks ago that red/green pressure LED on the alkycontrol saved my @ss. Saw the green light shutoff while at WOT and got off the throttle quick. My fault for not zip tying ever single vac line. Im sure some kits out their have better safe guards, and a lot have worse.

Its not just the install on where the troubleshooting comes in. Its reliabilty of the kit too..wiring..grounds..pump..controller, nozzle, etc.. work every time you step on the gas and get into boost. 6 weeks after install, 1 year, 3 or 4 years down the road..does it all still work. If you get in boost and one of those things isnt working one time, what safeguards other than knock sensor let you know their is an issue. If none well thats pretty risky.

I suggest before making your decision searching this forum and others and see what experiences people have had with different kits, especially on turbo buicks. People have pumps leak, map sensor dies, ground and wiring issues, I probably read hundreds of posts before getting my kit. Im not biased towards one kit or another, I just happened to jump on a deal on the alkycontrol kit in the classifieds. But I considered a lot of other kits and even diy. Personally, I would really like to give the ISAC controller a shot, but havent had the extra $ to spend yet.

I can tell you 6 weeks ago that red/green pressure LED on the alkycontrol saved my @ss. Saw the green light shutoff while at WOT and got off the throttle quick. My fault for not zip tying ever single vac line. Im sure some kits out their have better safe guards, and a lot have worse.

thanks for the helpful info. this is what i was trying to get at. this is what answer i was looking for. if i compermise price for quality, basically i get what i pay for. i want something that is gonna last me years to come and i dont want to worry bout stuff going out in the future. i see where you guys are comming from. since im a beginner at this stuff it might be worth it to shell out a few extra bucks. i still got a lot more research to go through...