melted black goop at electrical connections?

ll3lue

what is this stuff?? why do 80's GM cars have nasty melted black goop at many of the eletrical connections under the hood? :confused:

ll3lue said:
what is this stuff?? why do 80's GM cars have nasty melted black goop at many of the eletrical connections under the hood? :confused:

To keep water (or any other corrosive fluid) out.

The Packard Electric guys used to call the stuff "Bear Sh_t".......and it was used to waterproof the connections.

Dave

turbodave231 said:
The Packard Electric guys used to call the stuff "Bear Sh_t".......and it was used to waterproof the connections.

Dave

Ha-ha, that's good. At Delco we used to call the clear sticky stuff in some ignition modules sheep snot. :D

David

at the time gm didn't have the silicone incerts as they do now in there connectors. so they used black tar to waterproof the connections, which did more harm than good.

is there something else i can use besides that black crap? like say i had a connection an cleaned all the black tar outta it..what can i use in its place that would be a lil cleaner an better? lol

ll3lue said:
is there something else i can use besides that black crap? like say i had a connection an cleaned all the black tar outta it..what can i use in its place that would be a lil cleaner an better? lol
Dieletric grease is the best for connectors.

Funny you mention this today. I just wrote something about it in another post. My high speed fan wasnt coming on because there was such a bad connection at the relay from this stuff. I tried different things to clean it out, but what worked best was some ronsonol lighter fluid I had laying around. I tried acetone and carb cleaner, but the lighter fluid with a toothpick and blowgun worked great.