Max boost from stock turbo with alky?

stack1

Senior Stacker
How much boost can I squeeze out of a stock turbo with an adjustable actuator, 55#'ers and running on alky?

I think you will find low 20's are about it for the stocker....

Some say 21-22 psi is where the power stops going up...

This really is relative to any other work done on your engine..... any type of port work or camshaft change could potentially lower the point where max power with the stock turbo occurs.

They should be good for 110-115 mph depending on the tune and air temp.

I'm wanting to get out of the PT54 since I overlooked the torque converter. I had the TT chip made for the PT54 for 22-24 boost. Am I going to have to send the chip back just for the turbo change? My block is unopened and heads untouched.

I'm wanting to get out of the PT54 since I overlooked the torque converter. I had the TT chip made for the PT54 for 22-24 boost. Am I going to have to send the chip back just for the turbo change? My block is unopened and heads untouched.

You won't know until you try.... but you might. I don't think Eric charges to re-do the chip as long as injector size is the same.

FWIW, I ran 60# injectors with my stock turbo and Eric's chip... on a daily driver... and loved them.

I have my stocker set at 23#. Dont really get up there that often.
Im sure its out of gas like blazer said, but i dont get any knock either.

I had to add a manual boost control to get mine past 20# though.

21 - 22 psi is about it for the stock turbo. Start bumping the timing for HP after you get tuned into that psi. Stock turbo's LOVE timing.

I ran 22 with the stocker, dutt neck, 36lb injectors and alky no problem.

I was also wondering the same thing since my Daily driver ( stock turbo ) is also my E-85 test mule. I'll get the tune down and then add the Meth kit.

22-23 psi with a Dutt neck intercooler on an otherwise stock engine is about the cut off point for power increases. I ran 11.80's like that with 28 degrees of timing and c16 back in 99 weighing about 3550lbs.Anymore boost and it wont go faster. Id imagine it would be all done at 21 psi with a stock intercooler neck but have no proof of this .

What would I need to adjust my boost to 21-23 psi? I have a stock waste gate actuator (non-adjustable), turbo and intercooler. Would it be possible to do on a regular duty actuator and the RJC boost controller? I would want to be able to run the car with and without alky without having to change too much.

You can make your actuator adjustable or buy one. If you install an alky kit you will want to always run it. It only comes on with boost and it's progressive so more boost=more spray.

You can make your actuator adjustable or buy one. If you install an alky kit you will want to always run it. It only comes on with boost and it's progressive so more boost=more spray.

Exactly what he said....

Once you run it with..... you will never want to be without....

Exactly what he said....

Once you run it with..... you will never want to be without....

Well what I want to do won't necessarily work out with what's going to happen. I'm gonna be moving so I'll be driving my car across the country in January and I don't think I'd be carrying too much alky with me for refills. I'd go through a lot of methanol with my lead foot driving 4000 miles.

Well what I want to do won't necessarily work out with what's going to happen. I'm gonna be moving so I'll be driving my car across the country in January and I don't think I'd be carrying too much alky with me for refills. I'd go through a lot of methanol with my lead foot driving 4000 miles.

You can always cut the boost down for your trip....and turn the alky off if you like....

Ed Brewers 11.3 run on a stock turbo was at 28 PSI 1st gear and 28 degree's timing.

So dont limit your thinking ;)

Ed Brewers 11.3 run on a stock turbo was at 28 PSI 1st gear and 28 degree's timing.

So dont limit your thinking ;)

So much for the 21-22 lbs of boost quotes I hear all the time in regards to the stock turbo being done after said boost levels :biggrin:

I hope to push that envelope as well as soon I get the new TT E-85 chip :cool:

So much for the 21-22 lbs of boost quotes I hear all the time in regards to the stock turbo being done after said boost levels :biggrin:

Go for it...

Keep us posted...

Get a wideband datalogger so you can see if increasing is helping, maintaining or hurting you. Id like to know what Ed Brewers boost was in 3rd also. If you have a better than stock intercooler then the 22 psi limit doesnt apply. You could effectively go beyond it. Dumping massive amounts of methanol into the engine may aid in bringing down the air temps in the intake allowing further increases if turned up.