Massive Stage II engine carnage. What do you think caused it? Painful pics inside. :)

Looks to me the tune up was off causing the rings to butt in the bore and the rod/pin pulled outta the piston and then carnage began. Q16 and these tuning issues are easier as Donnie is alluding to. I've seen an intake valve from one side of an engine end up over into another side of the engine and beat the crap outta everything in site. Burn a plug on one cylinder and it'll kill other cylinders, too. Dealing with that right now. Thanks for sharing the carnage. I hate/love to see it. I have rods and pistons out of a 2,240 cid Rolls Griffon that windowed the block. Can't call up Dart and order one of those. We welded 'em back together, and ran them in heat races. (never in the final, though.) :eek: Anyone else think the rings butted and pulled the pin out of the piston?
The engine looks like it was built with good parts. I can't imagine the builder getting the ring gap wrong. I don't put it past the crank counterbalance and the whipping rod end to have caused all that damage to the bottom of the piston. There is a lot of force going on there. I found a piston completely sideways in a cylinder in one of my blow ups.
You know the saying, 'Up yours, sideways'? Well,... I can tell ya, it is possible.

E85, stock computer, coil & plug and 9 second runs = carnage. Unproven combos usually have an unhappy ending.

i'd say flux capacitor...you should go with the new style "mr. fusion"..much more reliable....

Don,
I read most of what you post. (I do miss some stuff) I do not know even close to anything or is that everything. Everyday is a learning curve. Keep posting your thoughts. I try and post anything I know about anything that I have learned. It's up to the individual to decide if they want to use it. I feel that we all need to let everyone know what we have learned. I have never understood why there are so many secrets inside a dying man's head. (now that affair with a peacock....keep that one to themselves. Eeeeewwwwwww.):biggrin:

Well, much to my surprise, the Crower crank survived the carnage. Just got it back from being wet-magnafluxed and polished, all good to go, still STD/STD. Other than externals like the intake and valve covers, the Crank is about all that survived, and I am really surprised it did!

Could be a Carillo rod designed to run in a 550HP Nascar engine, didn't "make the finish line"......

Well, I have been told a set of Carrillos is good up to 900-1000, but not sure if these were used beforehand or not. They don't look like it. Well, at least the parts of rods left don't look like they had too many miles on them... ;)