Massive GM recall for oil leakers........

The oil gets gets between foil heat shields and the manifold. I had 2 3800 cars. Both had been recalled a long while back and had the gaskets changed. I pulled the heat shields too after I got the cars back.

Not a problem after I put headers on the S/C car :D )

Then on the N/A car, I put VC gaskets on again myself ... cork worked better than the crappy OE poly ones.

Last edited:
I heard this yesterday. Not rising to the defense of a real defect but when the car is 11 to 18 years old, why does the NHTSA feel that GM is eternally responsible? What about my GN? Talk about oil leaks. I never feared or experienced any fire concerns. Then again I actually keep it cleaned and maintained which is the opposite of how the general public treats their daily driver at that age. You should see my dad's cars. They have so many leaves packed in the cowl they should burst into flames and he has plenty of money to have them cleaned up won't. It's a conveyence and that is all. What a world we live in.

I'm the original owner of a 1999 Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged engine. Mine has leaked oil all over the place since it went out of warranty. I had the front VC gasket replaced in the first oil leak campaign.... wasn't much help. They never offered to fix the rear VC gasket that was leaking like a sieve. Now that the transmission is kaput, I guess oil leaks are not important :cry:.

I heard this yesterday. Not rising to the defense of a real defect but when the car is 11 to 18 years old, why does the NHTSA feel that GM is eternally responsible? What about my GN? Talk about oil leaks. I never feared or experienced any fire concerns. Then again I actually keep it cleaned and maintained which is the opposite of how the general public treats their daily driver at that age. You should see my dad's cars. They have so many leaves packed in the cowl they should burst into flames and he has plenty of money to have them cleaned up won't. It's a conveyence and that is all. What a world we live in.
I agree john....How long should they be responsible.....with that in mind what about our T/R powermaster time bombs that they gave us? we should be eligible for lifetime replacements.....

why is this news now? i began getting recall notices about a month after i got my '01 GTP a few years ago... but i ignored them, because i had already put valve cover gaskets in it and they weren't leaking. i went to the dealer to get them to take my car off the recall list because i had done the repair myself, and was told that they had to do it to get my car off the list... so i told them to just keep wasting money sending me notices because i was never bringing it it.. i traded that car to my brother (not a car guy) last summer, and he called me all worried when he got the first notice and i told him to just throw them away because i had fixed it and the car wasn't leaking oil... he freaked out and took it in for the repair because he's easily spooked and thought his car was going to explode, wasting everyone's time in the process.. but while he was in there, the nice dealer techs were kind enough to point out that it needed new front wheel bearings, brake pads, and lower balljoints- all things that i had replaced with the best available aftermarket pieces available a couple of months earlier. i told him to never go back there for anything again, because they were trying to scam him for stuff that didn't need to be done.. i hate dealerships..

Sure glad both my TRs leak, cuz if they ain't, I know they're empty.

Last edited:
So are the larger Bonneville and Riviera with the same engine immune to this issue? Didn't see those on there. S-Series trucks with the 4.3 should be on that list. I had 3 of them and they all leaked from everywhere. Front and rear mains, oil cooler lines, valve covers. Surprised more of those haven't caught fire.

GM doesn't care about the oil leaks it is the spark plug wire retainer channel causing the fires. Most of the cars leak but oil puddles in wire retainer and it pours out during hard braking. During the first campaign there were so many people flooding the dealers worried about a fire they just removed the wire retainer and used zipties because they couldn't get replacements.