Manual Boost Controller or not!

deenasty

Good Morning fellas! I’m awaiting my TT 5.7 and 60lb injectors from Eric, and trying to finalize everything required to do everything at once. The car is still on the stock turbo and boost level, and I would like to get some opinions on whether to raise the boost (16lbs on 91 octane) via a manual boost controller, or just adjust the rod to desired length. The GN already has a threaded rod. I understand the concept of the manual boost controller, and how it works, but does it have any undesirable issues? Premature failure of any parts? Also, if the MBC is the way to go, is RJC or grimmspeed still the way to go? Thank You for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not. Leave the boost stock until you know what you are doing. The boost is set a t the stock level for a reason. Raising the boost without adjusting the fueling or fuel type simply means you will blow your head gasket.

Not. Leave the boost stock until you know what you are doing. The boost is set a t the stock level for a reason. Raising the boost without adjusting the fueling or fuel type simply means you will blow your head gasket.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. The fueling has already been addressed, besides the injector swap that I am preparing for. The 5.7 TT chip requires I raise the boost from 12 to 15-16. I am trying to figure out if I should perform that bump up in boost via the threaded rod or the MBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save your money on a boost controller. Use the adjustable nut. Shorten the rod one nut turn at a time and test. One turn should be around one pound boost.

The manual boost controller definitely has it's place. Some cars have to set the threaded wastegate banjo tight to get the desired boost level. When that happens, you can end up with boost creep up top. It's because using up a lot of the wastegates travel right off the bat, limits the amount it can open under WOT.

The 'downside' to the MBC is the faster spool. Is a car is tuned VERY well and the torque curve matches the available traction..... spooling faster could possibly blow the tires away in the middle of a gear. The end result would be 1) slower times at the track or 2) big smiles on the street from high speed rolling burnouts :D

Personally, I like my controller better since I use 1/4" fittings to match the nipples on the turbo and wastegate. But I guess I might be biased. I generally build better mousetraps when I want a better mousetrap. :)

I've seen many RJC controllers under the hood. Personally I used a manual controller bleeding off the pressure which ran to a controller in the car. Current car has an external gate with a controller under the dash :) Make sure you have a scanmaster, etc. before you start playing too much.