Man, GNs sure get a lot of attention...

Rodney87GN

Ok, I'm a first time GN owner. I just picked up my 87 GN last Saturday. Anyway I live on a military base and had the GN parked in front of my house. Across the street are some old Army buildings that civilians work in. So I open the blinds in my living room and I see 3 guys that work in those buildings just standing around my car gawking at it. I'm just watching them for 10 minutes observing their reactions.

Later that day I was out in the front getting stuff out of my other car and 2 other workers from that building came up to me and asked about the GN. I guess their buddy from earlier that day was so excited about seeing my GN and had to tell his buddies. :biggrin:

So I've only had this car for 4 days and have driven it only twice.....yesterday and today. Wherever I went, I got a lot of compliments, questions, and stares! I never thought I would attract this much attention, but I guess that's part of owning a GN, hehe.

Anyone else have this problem? :D (not that I'm complaining!)

It's a rare site in the San Antonio area. Which base, let me guess, Lackland? :D

Go Spurs! :biggrin:

Dannyo

Congrats on the new car. You get it both ways. The car is invisible to people that don't know their ass from their elbow. But the car is a good conversation starter with car type people. That is what I like about it.

Had a guy offer to buy my car the same day I bought mine. It's not uncommon to see guys practically twist their head off when I drive mine around. But as stated before, there's a lot of people that don't give it a second glance. I've had everything from WOW to as one guy stated "The only thing I like about your car is the wheels". Fortunately more WOWs than the other.

Danster said:
It's a rare site in the San Antonio area. Which base, let me guess, Lackland? :D

Go Spurs! :biggrin:

Dannyo

Yeah actually stationed at Lackland, but live on Ft. Sam Houston because I go to BAMC for therapy....clear as mud? :D

Oh yeah, I'm not a Spurs fan either lol.

Mostly middle age to older people know what they are. Daily driving my wifes now and get stared at and thumbs up daily. Can't seem to get many "challenges" though :biggrin:

I have guys always ask me about the GN....but girls always approach me when I'm in the mustang.... :rolleyes:

Was in the local ice cream parlor yesterday, with my grey '87 T/R parked out front, and while I was paying my dinner check at the register, a cute little teenage waitress looked out the front window and told the teenage counterman "That car is HOT!" He goes "Which one, the Mitsubishi?" She said "No, that grey one right out front!" I said "Thanks!" She said "Is that yours? It's really HOT!" It was all I could do to not say what I was thinking....."Hey little girl, wanna go for a ride?" :D

Well, very few people around my town know what a GN is. It gets stares but mostly the kind that are like "What kinda car is that..." But i pulled up at sonic one day and ordered. And while i was ordering i had 4 older men sitting down at the tables just start stareing at the car. Come to find out they knew what the car was..but weren't from around here. As far as hott girls come, only had one comment from a girl that was rideing with me. She said "OMG this car is AWESOME!" Made my day :D

By no means is my GN a show queen but I do get a lot of thumbs up and “cool car” comments.

A couple of weeks ago, at a stop light, some young’n in a Fart Can Honda gave me my very first Monte Carlo comment. “Dude I eat Monte Carlos….. bla, bla, bla….” He went on and on. Politely, I responded “It’s not a Monte Carlo”…. Smiled….. Light turned green….. That Honda never ended up in front of me. :biggrin:

When I tell guys what i have and how it is my project car i get the oohs and ahhs and most will offer to help me work on it any time i want. I never get that kind of response with my Camaro. :)

Get used to the attention, every time I drive mine I get asked if its for sale, what is it? etc. I drove mine Saturday for the first time in a month, and as I drove along a guy in a Ford Escape pulled along side and gave me the thumbs up. When we got to the stoplight I rolled down the window and he said "Buick Grand National! Man that things nice!!" I thanked him for the comment and drove on home. One thing I always try to do is talk to people if they ask me questions about the car. I can remember being a younger and walking up to a guy with a Corvette at a show and telling him I liked his car and how he just looked at me and blew me off. It really hurt my feelings and I try not to do that to people when they ask me about my car. OK I got off on a tangent, congrats on the GN bud!

Yes they do!!

My Dad and I took my GN to go pick up my brothers new car, an 89 GTA. And we got a few honks and thumbs up on the way. On the way home I drove the GTA behind the Buick, and I was gawking at the Buick, lol. So were others, at one point sitting at a light I looked over at the car next to me which had three guys in it and I pointed at the Buick and said thats MY car. :D

My brother has a 97 SS camaro ragtop. Its a beautiful car and has very low miles. We'll take it for a cruise along the beach, or just cruise around town and not get much attention. We hop in my 87 GN with 208,000 miles on it, and as we cruise down A1A, I hear all kinds of compliments or people yelling "hey, look, a grand national". I'll also get all kinds of thumbs up, and people pulling up beside me saying "cool car". Just something about these cars that draw attention.

Yup, it's pretty funny....I've gotten more compliments on the GN in the past 2 days then my wife's 95 Z28 which we've had for 2 years. I think I sensed a little jealousy from the wife. :biggrin: She's gotta be wondering how this old black shoebox gets more attention then her pumped up Geo Metro.

I did offer to sell the Z28 and go buy her a Turbo T but she didn't like that idea!

I agree. I get attention all the time and I've only owned it for 2 months. The first 4 weeks I drove it as my daily driver as I was looking for a commuter car at the same time with the insurance money from an accident in my old honda civic. Anyway, everywhere I go I get stares, compliments, etc. I remember going to the local "street scene" in the city next to where I live and showing my girlfrirend how this "ugly" car get's a lot of attention. I pull up and everyone has their little civics, evo's, srt-4's, and eclipses parked and they are all chattin with one another. Right as I pull up they see me and immediately surround my car and staring and saying "sweet ride bro" and blah blah. They wouldn't let me leave and they all wanted a ride. That was the most awesome feeling when my girlfriend said "Damn, well I like this car more than your Mustang now" because of the attention.

Got stopped by a state cop just so he could "have a look at it", and that was when it needed painted.

BigTurbo6 said:
I have guys always ask me about the GN....but girls always approach me when I'm in the mustang.... :rolleyes:

*****Does this mean you mostly like driving the GN, or the Mustang? :)