Making Stock heads into 14 bolt heads

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I know the title must seem very strange but there is a method to this madness. For Bonneville, you have to run "production" heads to race in production and any head with the ports in the same spots and the same number of head bolts is considered a "production" head. I don't have the money for an aftermarket head like a 14-bolt GN1's and TA SE/SI which are legal if you only use 8 bolts with the rest of the combo going together. Now, I want to set the car up to run in as many classes as possible and since I do plan on getting a Stage II block all the holes for 14 heads will be there and added them is considered an engine swap pushing me into Blown Gas Coupe from Production Supercharged.

Since I have a mill I was wondering how possible ya'll thought it would be to drill at least some of the extra bolt holes and then sleeve them if necessary if they hit water? I'd just run studs with no nuts on them when I was racing in "production" then tighten the nuts down when I went to "gas coupe". Not enough to really do much more clamping as I'd be running the same tune and trying to aero my way to more mph with the air dam and headlight covers allowed in Gas Coupe.

Eventually I will put a real set of 14-bolt heads on it but for the cheap and when I don't need much power (~300hp at the wheels) but I do need it to hold together for 3 miles at WOT.

Thanks for bearing with me,

Lay a gasket on an iron head and you will see what would be required. A 300whp NA v6? I can't tell form your post what type of engine you're building . I can't see that being cheap if NA and not going to happen with just any head. It will take a lot of rpm to get there

Bison,

It will be a turbo motor, a 3.0L oddfire turbo motor with a solid cam and mechanical FI to meet class rules. One of the reasons I don't have money for new heads is that I'm trying to get the short block in solid shape to hold up to 3mi of 6000rpm.