MAFT Pro - HELP!!!!!!!!

Boostnitup

Anyone have this item in their Turbo Buick?

Installed the MAFT pro per instructions. It is a digital dash car - 1984 GN, converted to '87 set up.

Car starts... then dies after 2 to 3 seconds. Stumbles as if it is choking on itself.

I wish to run the car in Speed density mode.

(Note: The car had the Translator Plus installed prior to this upgrade)

The instructions seem generic and not directed at the turbo Buick owner. (Not a slight on the provider of this product... ok?) I would like some "Get it in the ball park" parameters if someone has that information to share. To say I am overly confused would be a slight on me would it not? :biggrin:

GN1 aluminum heads
50lbs injectors and Street Chip from Precision
60-1 turbo
MAF is Impalla MAF (desire not to use it!)
Front mount intercooler

Boostnitup@Yahoo.com (Yahoo Messenger)

Anyone have this item in their Turbo Buick?

Installed the MAFT pro per instructions. It is a digital dash car - 1984 GN, converted to '87 set up.

Car starts... then dies after 2 to 3 seconds. Stumbles as if it is choking on itself.

I wish to run the car in Speed density mode.

(Note: The car had the Translator Plus installed prior to this upgrade)

The instructions seem generic and not directed at the turbo Buick owner. (Not a slight on the provider of this product... ok?) I would like some "Get it in the ball park" parameters if someone has that information to share. To say I am overly confused would be a slight on me would it not? :biggrin:

GN1 aluminum heads
50lbs injectors and Street Chip from Precision
60-1 turbo
MAF is Impalla MAF (desire not to use it!)
Front mount intercooler

Boostnitup@Yahoo.com (Yahoo Messenger)

ok, a couple questions:

Did you wire it in or use the plug and play adapter?
What version software in the unit?
check all the sensor readings on the sensor monitor screen. and post them.
what settings?

Bob

And one more question, Isn't an Extender Pro chip required when running the Translator Pro?

I'm also wondering if the scaler jumper inside the unit is set properly, since it sounds like the maf is still insatlled. Need to know that, and for sure your settings.

Here's an example of my 50# injector setup showing the settings for running a maf. Ignore the tables section at the bottom.

Attachments

• 86 final2 part throttle narrow band tracking with maf.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 197
the pro chip is not strictly necessary, the pro is set up to run any chip.

But the Pro has the extended range, and other specific features to use with the Pro.

Bob

Oh, and just for reference, here's the settings I run now that I'm running speed density.

Attachments

• 86 final2 part throttle narrow band tracking bin.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 148
I wired it in... I checked and double checked the install.

It seems to be working (The car does start! Although briefly)

I haven't connected the system to a laptop yet... is that an issue? (My cute little Presario Laptop has determined it does not want to see my CD rom drive and that will have to be resolved as well)

I'll spend a moment on it this afternoon and get back to you all.

There's an internal jumper in the Translator Pro. Is it in the "on" or "off" position. Unscrew the top, carefully move it to the side and take note of the jumper position.

Version 5.11

Version 5.11

I installed the points provided from the Chief... I am in Colorado's thin air... would that have a significant impact on the parameters provided? It starts! It seems to run a few moments longer. :biggrin: It still dies...

Do I have to uninstall the Translator Plus? or Bypass it?

I am reaching outside of the box trying to figure out where the disconnect is on the install.

ok, a couple questions:

Did you wire it in or use the plug and play adapter?
What version software in the unit?
check all the sensor readings on the sensor monitor screen. and post them.
what settings?

Bob

read all the sensors on the monitor screen and post them

what are all your settings?

The F Out mode must match your chip. The rest of the defaults should start and run a GN just fine.

You have a translator + AND a translator pro hooked up at the same time, or is that a misprint ?????? :eek:

What's that internal jumper set to??? I forgot to change mine once when I reconfigured from no maf/maf, and my car wouldn't stay runnning either.

That what I was thinking TurboDave. Not that the T+ would make any difference when running speed density but non the less, it can be removed.

Scroll to the sensor monitor page in the Tpro. With key on engine off, read what the sensor monitors are doing. Jot it down and post it up here.

Mainly we need to see: MP (manifold pressure) and UT (user tune) but try and read them all. You will have to scroll through the sensor monitors to do so.

We can get you going but we need data. ;)

I'll get on it this afternoon... There is no theft on the chip. I would be happy to have someone try to steal the car now... Maybe they will get it running? :biggrin:

Yes... translator plus is hooked up... I set all the settings to "0"

I have been a loyal customer... Was one of the 1st to convert a "Hot-Air" car to the Translator when it came out. :biggrin:

Sensor page info

Selected in order... Hope this assists.
Thanks in advance Buick troops! :biggrin:

TM 0.0
RS 0
ME 0
EGT 0
Vo1 4.89
Vo2 2.49
CnT 0
RPM 0
MP 1.1
Ld 1.1
DC +5.3
AFL 0
AFI 0
VE 44.5
Cel 2
FI 26
FO 30
UT +6.0
TPS .39
BD 0.0
MT 50.5
O2 0.00
FE 0.0
ASC +10.3
AFR --
CF 0.0
TAF --
SpK 15.0
BA 101.3
Bp -14.4
Ax1 0.00
Ax2 4.99

Your not getting a map signal (mp). It should read like 98-99 key on engine off.

If you have the Tpro set for Speed Density, it will not run until you get the map (mp) signal figured out.

Get rid of the Translator +.

No MAP signal? What would cause this? Any ideas?

Wouldn't this have affected the car earlier?

1984 Grand National <--- step child car :biggrin: (Why am I always the guinea pig?)

What wire would I tap into at the 3 bar map sensor?

The Black wire?

Is it possible the black wire on the 6 pin connector is the wrong black wire selected? Two of them to chose from... On the Quick Set up GN 5.x.doc it shows:

4. Black, Ground to MAP sensor (TAP signal at C437, pin G behind glovebox)
5. Black, Ground, not used

I will try swapping the two black wires... see if that changes the equation. If not... to the 3 Bar Map sensor it will have to go...

I'll get it going today! There is a local Honda that needs a beat down...

My issue... A voltage booster. Leading to the MAP sensor... Yes... a wiring mess exists under my hood.

Is 125.5 acceptable? Key ON

I'll let you all know if it starts after this... I have some wiring to play with for a bit first... :D

(I slept at a Holiday Inn... I can do it)

It runs!

Now it has an off idle stumbling/popping if I give it the gas off "Idle"

What is the next step?

:biggrin: