MAF Translator Gen II

black magic

Black Magic
i just installed a new lt1 maf sensor and a maf translator gen 2 on my 87 gn. it is not chipped. the car starts idles for about 2 seconds then shuts off any ideas on this problem? also no sure what to set the gen 2 settings to. any help would be greatly appreciated

If I reading your post correctly, you do not have an aftermarket chip? I just want to be sure since your problem description sounds like how anti-theft optioned chips act.

If you haven't changed many Gen II parameters, then it's likely that you've selected the wrong MAF. Be sure that you understand that there are two different "LT1 MAF's." One is the 3" and the other is 3-1/2", each one is a different MAF Input choice on the Gen II.

The Gen II really becomes fun when you connect it to a wideband O2 and use one of his Extender Extreme chips.

The input has to be the right LT1 sensor chosen, the output has to be set to GN.

There's also other configuration page settings that need to be set right.

the car has no chip. is the anti theft a stock option? and i am running the three inch lt1 maf, also the adapter that full throttle sent to plug the new maf into the original wires was wrong, so i stripped the wires and connected it with electrical fittings. think maybe this could be a problem also? Do you need a chip for the gen II to work or no, and can you just take out the original chip?

Anti-theft is an option only in aftermarket chips.
You have to leave in your stock chip for the car to run correctly. One of the output options on the Gen II is to select the chip type (I think it's the last option in the chip choices).

the car has no chip. is the anti theft a stock option? and i am running the three inch lt1 maf, also the adapter that full throttle sent to plug the new maf into the original wires was wrong, so i stripped the wires and connected it with electrical fittings. think maybe this could be a problem also? Do you need a chip for the gen II to work or no, and can you just take out the original chip?

You mean there's no chip at all plugged in???? There has to be something plugged into the chip socket. Stock will work, but eventually you'll want and Extender chip to take full advantage of all the Translator's features.

thanks for all the help guys i found the problem. the wires i had to splice to bybass the adaptor were mixed up. car runs fantastic now

what are good settings for the maf translator gen II. i have stock chip, with lt1 maf, with big mouth cold air intake, adjustable fuel pressure regulator 24lb injectors, no wide band or chip yet. just wondering if anybody is a pro at this thing yet.

In order to take advantage of the capabilities of the MAFT Gen2 you need an Extender Extreme chip. The MAFT Gen2/ Extender Extreme combination will allow you to control many variables of the car's tune. The settings will be specific to the components used on the vehicle, the fuel being used, and the desired tune of what the user is trying to accomplish.

Think of the gen2 like box of carburetor jet's. Changing the settings is just like re jetting.

Changes are made based on the feedback from o2 sensor and the ecm correction. You need a scantool to get readings. No one can give you "good settings" without knowing the data.

Do you have the gen 2 manual? Read, read and read it again. It explains how it all works.

Gen 2 Manual

RL

what installation method did you use? The splice in, the under-dash plug-and-play, or the thru the firewall plug and play?

In general, with the Gen-2, you set the MAF IN to match the MAF, and the MAF OUT to match what the ECM is set up for.

Then set the engine displacement and # cylinders.

For a stock chip, set the V out modes to "use setpoint" and set V out 1 to 2.5 volts or so.

Thats all that is required for a basic startup.

Bob