MAF sensor advice?

V6-Sauce

I'd like to upgrade to a newer more realiable maf sensor. I read alots posts, Can't decide. I'm thinking the LS1 sensor with a basic translator...I have a stock remanufactured(rebuilt) unit, I'm using a 3" maf pipe connected to my 2nd stock sensor to a 4" opening on the cone 9" k&n filter. I know I need the adaptors for the ls1. Ls1 is better than Lt1 right and there's only a 1/2 inch difference in size, plus the ls1 is alittle newer year and should flow more? I'm not producing alot of HP but it doenst really matter does it? I would most likely get it from turbotweak. I'm looking for something that just works well upgraded from stock with the translator. LS1 or LT1?

Last edited:
Here is another point of view. My 87 is stock and it runs perfect with an LT1 MAF. The LS1 MAF would do nothing for me. If you plan on upgrading later go with the LS1 MAF now.

From what I read, its the same sensor, just a 1/2" bigger and later model and flows more, if u have extra air

Last edited:
I am about to do this changeover myself. Going from stock setup to LS1 3.5 MAF.

Planning to order an earl brown MAF pipe and a 9" k&N air filter. How does this fit? I've read in places where people had to relocate the fuel vapor canister. True or false?

With a 9" filter you should be able to make it fit. A 14" filter like I run requires canister to be moved or deleted.

MAF pipes can always be made a little shorter.

Here is another point of view. My 87 is stock and it runs perfect with an LT1 MAF. The LS1 MAF would do nothing for me. If you plan on upgrading later go with the LS1 MAF now.

Actually, you'd most likely see it run better with faster spool. That being said, if faster spool caused your tired to come unglued from the faster ramp up rate, it might slow you down. Same principle as a MBC.

The flow area of an LT1 is a little over 60% of a 3" pipe. The LS1 3.5 unit has around 85% of the flow area.

With a 9" filter you should be able to make it fit. A 14" filter like I run requires canister to be moved or deleted.

MAF pipes can always be made a little shorter.

Actually, you'd most likely see it run better with faster spool. That being said, if faster spool caused your tired to come unglued from the faster ramp up rate, it might slow you down. Same principle as a MBC.

The flow area of an LT1 is a little over 60% of a 3" pipe. The LS1 3.5 unit has around 85% of the flow area.

This is good information. Thanks. It affirms my thought that the LS1 improves performance in conjunction with other upgrades. I am one of the rare owners who has no interest in any improvements to my car which make it go faster.

Earl, do you have any preference on which LS1 MAF to use? Older style vs newer?

I like the old style since it's a direct plug 'n play with Translators. No wiring adapters required.

That and they're made of aluminum instead of plastic.

I went with the regular Translator(6.25 version) and LS1 sensor and 3.5"-3" coupler to fit my 3" maf pipe and 3.5"-4" coupler to fit the opening on the cone k&n filter...from Turbotweak. I hope I made a good choice. thx for everybody's replys:cheers

Last edited:
Just wanted to give u guys an update. What a huge difference, With the stock maf sensor my BL's were stuck at 142 and me chasing around vacuum/exhaust leaks that I didn't have & I'm thinking my fuel pressure was off even though it was rising 1:1 with the windshield gauge & boost or adding fuel in the chip. With the new LS1 maf & translalor, My BL went from 142 to 134 at idle in two days of driving/ INT is 128. The car sounds quieter, and responds better. Acceleration feels very nice & smooth in every gear, I didn't even need to adjust fuel in the translator to lower BL's. I'm very satisfied and happy I did this upgrade. I drilled a spot for the stock air temperture sensor & wiring on the coupler between the LS1 and filter, So I can still see air temps though the scanmaster. This MAF kicks ass;)

Last edited: