Maf or translator dead what to upgrade to

NEWCHAPTER

Need Speed
Throwing a code 34 and cant get it to clear, check all connections and reset the computer and still comes in. It is an older 3" maf and the translator is old too. Thinking about upgrading the translator to a newer style but want one that will play nice with the alky kit that is about to be installed. I heard some having trouble with interference with the pump making the translator go a little haywire.

turbolink said:
CODE 34

Trouble Code 34 indicates that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is reporting less air is entering the engine than makes sense based on RPM and TPS. The MAF sensor produces a frequency output; around 30 Hz at idle to 150 Hz under acceleration. The frequency varies proportionally to airflow. The ECM monitors the frequency and thus determines airflow into the engine. Typical idle MAF is 5 to 7 grams per second.

The conditions for setting this code are:

no Code 21 or 22 (TPS Error) present, and
the air flow reported is < 4 grams per second, and
TPS indicates 10% or more throttle position, and
the engine speed is 1800 RPM or higher, and
the above conditions exist for over 5 seconds.

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Faulty air ducting to or from MAF sensor
2) Faulty ECM-to-MAF connections
3) Poor routing of MAF harness (i.e. near coil packs)
4) Maladjusted TPS sensor
5) Defective MAF sensor
6) Defective ECM
HTH :)

well I just ordered the maf connector splice from caspers to see if that will help the original connector is a bit chewed up

well I just ordered the maf connector splice from caspers to see if that will help the original connector is a bit chewed up

Good luck! and ya, alky pumps can cause interfierence but not throw a code.
You will know, the car falls pretty hard right when pump kicks in.

well I installed a new 3.5" maf, replaced the connector to the maf all connections were good and no air leaks hoses are tight... could the translator be bad or if not would the ecm be malfunctioning and if so how can I tell..... thanks for all the help